By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF XV is a hack and slash game confirmed

Ssliasil said:
vivster said:
What a "real" Final Fantasy. So "real" that it doesn't even need its signature battle system.

No two FF games have had the same Battle system...in fact all of them are rather significantly different.

Also its been 9 god damned years that we have KNOWN this was an action +  traditional hybrid battle system type game.  Get over it for christs sake. 

Really? Trying to tell me about Final Fantasy?

Final Fantasy 1-3 had the same turn based system. Final Fantasy 4-6 had the same ATB which is just a glorified timed turn based system. FF7-9 had the same ATB as 4-6. FFX had a static ATB. FF11-12 had the standard MMO Battle system which is just a fancy ATB system(hell, FFXII even had a loading bar). FFXIII and XIII-2 had a standard ATB with stacked commands. FFXIII-3 probably managed to hide its standard ATB the best but it was still no real time action gameplay. FFXIV again standard MMO ATB. Yep, everything up to FFXIV was basically turn based.

Then comes FFXV which is straight up action RPG. Real time action gameplay. So yeah, biggest change ever in any mainline FF.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Ssliasil said:

No two FF games have had the same Battle system...in fact all of them are rather significantly different.

Also its been 9 god damned years that we have KNOWN this was an action +  traditional hybrid battle system type game.  Get over it for christs sake. 

Really? Trying to tell me about Final Fantasy?

Final Fantasy 1-3 had the same turn based system. Final Fantasy 4-6 had the same ATB which is just a glorified timed turn based system. FF7-9 had the same ATB as 4-6. FFX had a static ATB. FF11-12 had the standard MMO Battle system which is just a fancy ATB system(hell, FFXII even had a loading bar). FFXIII and XIII-2 had a standard ATB with stacked commands. FFXIII-3 probably managed to hide its standard ATB the best but it was still no real time action gameplay. FFXIV again standard MMO ATB. Yep, everything up to FFXIV was basically turn based.

Then comes FFXV which is straight up action RPG. Real time action gameplay. So yeah, biggest change ever in any mainline FF.

Biggest change came from XIII. No exploration. No Airship. No Side quests. Only countless battles. It made the game arcadey instead of an enjoyable exploration filled trek.

FF XV includes way more classic elements than XIII did. But there's one aspect that has changed. One. The battle system. The rest of it is looking just as "Final Fantasy" as the greatest titles in the series.

Ka-pi96 said:
Hynad said:

Biggest change came from XIII. No exploration. No Airship. No Side quests. Only countless battles. It made the game arcadey instead of an enjoyable exploration filled trek.

FF XV includes way more classic elements than XIII did. But there's one aspect that has changed. One. The battle system. The rest of it is looking just as "Final Fantasy" as the greatest titles in the series.

In a game where the majority of your time is going to be battling, surely the battle system is by far the most important part though, no?

Yes. And so far, everyone who tried the demo think the battle system is fun and suprisingly deep and strategic.

A button-masher it is not, they say.

Ka-pi96 said:
Hynad said:

In a game where the majority of your time is going to be battling, surely the battle system is by far the most important part though, no?

Turn based games = Wait 20 seconds to make an attack, while you're getting your ass beat...oh and cure/buff occassionally...sorta strategic. (99% of all JRPG in existance)

Hack and Slash = run around mashing Square Triangle Triangle Square in every H&S ever.  (Diablo, Path of Exile, etc)

Action = Hack and slash with more bodily control, movement is far more important but combat is usually dumbed down to two buttons - Block and Attack.  (The Elder Scrolls, Dark and Demon Souls etc)

Hybrid = Final Fantasy XV.  You have the strategic values of traditional JRPG Turn Based games, but instead of standing still like a jackass you CAN ACTUALLY MOVE FREELY.   You have the same exact menu as almost ever FF game to date...Attack, Magic, Summon, Items...you select which one you want to use and when...you have HP and MP and everything else.

THE ONLY DAMN DIFFERENCE is that you can ACTUALLY MOVE AROUND...LE GASP! 

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

shikamaru317 said:

I have a question to anyone who is upset about FFXV's battle system? Have you ever played an action RPG that you liked? Witcher, Fable, Kingdom Hearts, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.? If you have enjoyed a previous Action RPG, why do you not think you'll like FFXV's combat? I get that Final Fantasy is historically a turn based franchise, but is it really so bad that they want to try something different after 14 games? FFXV was always going to be an action RPG ever since it was first announced in 2006, it's not like this is new news, Nomura's original vision for Versus 13 (now 15) was for it to be a more realistic derivation of Kingdom Hearts combat.

Many are not claiming we won't like FF14s combat, infact we may well do because it is based on KH. KH was a fantastic game with great gameplay but that is the problem. That is KHs style pf gameplay, not FFs. What many of us want is a FF game, not a FF version of KH and when I say this I mean in basic gameplay, not all the features which are very FF esque. To me and many others, that is what we want.

As I mentioned in like the first page of the thread, we did know this but back then it was known as FFvsXIII, it was meant to be a spin off, not a FF title.

If we wanted an action RPG we'd play (and have done) play any of the above games you listed. For FF we want turn based.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
shikamaru317 said:

I have a question to anyone who is upset about FFXV's battle system? Have you ever played an action RPG that you liked? Witcher, Fable, Kingdom Hearts, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.? If you have enjoyed a previous Action RPG, why do you not think you'll like FFXV's combat? I get that Final Fantasy is historically a turn based franchise, but is it really so bad that they want to try something different after 14 games? FFXV was always going to be an action RPG ever since it was first announced in 2006, it's not like this is new news, Nomura's original vision for Versus 13 (now 15) was for it to be a more realistic derivation of Kingdom Hearts combat.

Many are not claiming we won't like FF14s combat, infact we may well do because it is based on KH. KH was a fantastic game with great gameplay but that is the problem. That is KHs style pf gameplay, not FFs. What many of us want is a FF game, not a FF version of KH and when I say this I mean in basic gameplay, not all the features which are very FF esque. To me and many others, that is what we want.

As I mentioned in like the first page of the thread, we did know this but back then it was known as FFvsXIII, it was meant to be a spin off, not a FF title.

If we wanted an action RPG we'd play (and have done) play any of the above games you listed. For FF we want turn based.

I get that this is what you want. But have you all been complaning about it since 2006?

Ka-pi96 said:

There hasn't really been 14 main series games though, the MMOs no way count as mainline FF games and really should have been named something else. Also, they have already tried something different, it was called FF12 and IMO it was the worst battle system that anyone has ever put into a game. They aren't good at trying new things like that and should stick to what made the series great in the first place.

Funny that you'd say that, considering how radically different VIII is from VII.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ssliasil said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Turn based games = Wait 20 seconds to make an attack, while you're getting your ass beat...oh and cure/buff occassionally...sorta strategic. (99% of all JRPG in existance)

Hack and Slash = run around mashing Square Triangle Triangle Square in every H&S ever.  (Diablo, Path of Exile, etc)

Action = Hack and slash with more bodily control, movement is far more important but combat is usually dumbed down to two buttons - Block and Attack.  (The Elder Scrolls, Dark and Demon Souls etc)

Hybrid = Final Fantasy XV.  You have the strategic values of traditional JRPG Turn Based games, but instead of standing still like a jackass you CAN ACTUALLY MOVE FREELY.   You have the same exact menu as almost ever FF game to date...Attack, Magic, Summon, Items...you select which one you want to use and when...you have HP and MP and everything else.

THE ONLY DAMN DIFFERENCE is that you can ACTUALLY MOVE AROUND...LE GASP! 

@1st bold, if only that were true, then 99% of all JRPGs would actually be good, too bad it couldn't be further from the truth.

@2nd bold, have you watched the video? Repeatedly pressing square to attack is most certainly not an attack, magic etc menu.

Oooh so you're one of those guys that doesnt do research.  The ommited magic from the Demo because the effects were not ready for public viewing. 

You unlock a Summon in the Demo (Ramuh)... thats why that option isnt available.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Hynad said:

I get that this is what you want. But have you all been complaning about it since 2006?

No, but that was when the game was called FFvsXIII and we knew what the gameplay would be like, we were told and we knew it was a spinoff. Not a main series title.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ssliasil said:
Ka-pi96 said:

@1st bold, if only that were true, then 99% of all JRPGs would actually be good, too bad it couldn't be further from the truth.

@2nd bold, have you watched the video? Repeatedly pressing square to attack is most certainly not an attack, magic etc menu.

Oooh so you're one of those guys that doesnt do research.  The ommited magic from the Demo because the effects were not ready for public viewing. 

You unlock a Summon in the Demo (Ramuh)... thats why that option isnt available.

Why should I do research? If they make the game look crap in the demo then that is their fault, not mine.

See thats just it.  The game doesnt look like crap in the Demo.  Those who have played it - including long time FF fans - have LOVED IT.  They are saying it FEELS more like a FF game than the last several entries into the franchise.  And thats without even including Magic.

Also everyone getting Type 0 for the Demo has already done plenty of research.  Its been mentioned in virtually every interview that the Demo Build is a MUCH older build than the current game is, which isnt even the final build.  They are also keeping much of the Demo under wraps to avoid spoilers.  In fact we arent even supposed to know that Ramuh is the Summon in the Demo.