By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega charged $22 per month to play online for the Dreamcast. Where was the outcry back then?

So many things wrong with this thread I do not even know where to start.

Around the Network

@OP: did you want an outcry bigger than a giant middle finger to Sega and letting it kick itself out of HW market?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Ruler said:
kappie1977 said:

When the Dreamcast came out it was really the best Console ever IMO great times I had with this console and it's games! Too bad the mass had not chosen for this and chose for the PS2  And for the cost as already mentioned it was Sega.net as a provider. So for that time the deal wasn't really bad. I can remember that in my country you also couldn't have Dream Arena (as internet provider) and next to that in that time I only played online on PC. But still if we could get that internet package here end of the 90's and beginning '00 it would be a good deal, as the normal rate here was around EUR. 35,- per month with a limit. Nowdays there are hardly any internet only providers here, it's mostly all-in-one packages.

I dont think the dreamcast was such a good console. It had no dvd player, no backwarts competability, your old video cables and controllers didnt work.

The PS2 offered it all, it was a better value for your money not mention it was stronger anyways. 

Yet you don't mention the games....It's so easy to look at all of this in hindsight. 

First of all, the DVD market was small in 1999. A lot of well known movies had not even been converted to DVD yet. Also, as I already explained, it's not like Sega didn't want to do it. In 1997-1998, DVD technology was expensive. They couldn't afford it. At the same time, there was outcry over the fact that Dreamcast couldn't play DVD's. Had it survived, it wouldn't have been alone. GameCube could not play DVD's and Xbox required you to buy a remote to use the DVD playback function. As for video cables, again, this was expected and most people didn't complain. By 1999, most gamers in the west were done with the Saturn anyway. The controllers were not backward compatible for an obvious reason. Dreamcast was using new technology. The VMU and jumpack would not have been compatible with the Saturn controllers.

These things that you're complaining about would have made no sense to include with Dreamcast from a practical and business standpoint. For financial reasons, they couldn't include some of these things. For Sony, it made sense to do everything they did. They helped invent the DVD format so supporting it was obvious. The dualshock 2 was almost identical to the dualshock 1 so controller compatibility was a given. Charging the PS2 $100 more than what Sega was selling Dreamcast for meant that Sony could have all these things without taking a big loss. Sega on the other hand couldn't afford to alienate an already skeptical market by charging that much for Dreamcast and yet they couldn't afford what they were charging for it.

Secondly, the PS2 may have ben a better value from a multimedia standpoint, but for at least 2 years Dreamcast was a better value when it came to games. It took the PS2 a year to get the number of quality games that Dreamcast had available on day 1. It took PS2 at least 2 years to have the number of quality games the Dreamcast had in one year. PS2's online never matched the Dreamcast's online. As far as hardware is concerned, PS2 may have been more powerful, but that's completely irrelevent. Both GameCube and Xbox had far more powerful hardware than the PS2. Despite it's power, the hardware for PS2 was by most standards a piece of. There's a reason why so many years later, indie developers still develop Dreamcast games while not nearly as many of them are making PS2 games. Dreamcast was incredibly easy to work with and developers loved it.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

nonsense i never payed for no sega.net and i played my dreamcast online

Ka-pi96 said:
How many people even had a Sega console that gen?

About 10 million with only a few years of significant support.

Hence, it sold about at par with Wii U and Vita.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Ruler said:

Not really shadows of the collossus, silent hill 3 and metal gear solid 3 looked better than 80% of xbox games.  Didnt deny that xbox was stronger just that was a lot more expensive to produce and part of the reasons why it was affordable for people to choose is because MS gave you a huge discount.

In europe the xbox came out in march 2002 at a launch price of 480€ which was 70% more expensive than the US price, they dropped it to 250€ in the same year in autumn. So MS tried europeans to suck up the real price which was no where as competive as the ps2.

Those games look better than most Xbox games because most Xbox games were designed for PS2. Seriously, use some common sense.

You said PS2 was carefully designed but the specs weren't great. Numerous PC ports were console exclusive to Xbox simply because the PS2 specs were garbarge in comparison. Not nearly enough thought went into designing the PS2. Gamecube on the otherhand had some nice specs.

One last thing, Shadows of the Collossus was a mess on PS2. The frame rate made me naucious and visuals were bland. I didn't bother playing through it until the PS3 version was released.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I guess Ruler got overuled.

Sorry, couldnt resist the pun. :P

SpokenTruth said:
Ruler said:

if you adjust inflation thats $29.79 per month. So where was the outcry back then about consoles charching to play online?

PSN and xbox live are a lot cheaper now its 5 or 6 dollars based on 1 year while sega wanted you to pay for 18 months. 18 months? Thats 396$ you had to pay.

Besides that, it was actually a very shaddy deal by sega as the dreamcast didnt last that long. I am pretty sure a lot of peoples subscriptions hasnt reached the 18 months as sega leaved the console bussines somewhere in that timeline.

You do know that online play on the Dreamcast was actually free, don't you?

It was for awhile.

Sega eventually DID charge for online play. $10 a month.

Not related to SegaNet though, that was around while online play was free.

Because in Japan Dreamcast came with a whole year of Internet access. Also SEGA was actually giving away free Dreamcasts with the subscription at one point

So what's the point? There was no outrage because there options available to play without paying SEGA, they also didn't charge you if you wanted to play online... That's the difference.