By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega charged $22 per month to play online for the Dreamcast. Where was the outcry back then?

It was sega's last console and this generation because of monthly subscriptions to play online, abusing consumers and lying to them with "next gen power" both Sony and MS are losing a lot of customers (just a few days ago steam announced 125 million active users...).

If i was them i would thread lightly because the "amazing" ps4 sales are only due to Wii U's and X1 poor commercial perfomance but in overall sales this generation will end with many less home consoles sold than the previous one.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
Farsala said:
1: It was 1st and in 96 or 2000. Even games were more expensive then.

2. Consumers did not agree with it, otherwise Sega would have declared the dreamcast profitable and kept on with thee business.

The dreamcast's discontinuation had nothing to do with it's online popularity.

It did. IF it made the Dreamcast a massive success like the PS2, they would have stayed. It was a gamble that didn't pay off like they wanted.

It might have done quite well, but it did not make their hardware situation profitable as they hoped.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sega did charge a monthly fee for online play across their titles before MicroSony.

Are you saying there was a fee to play all Dreamcast games online? Because that isn't true.

I know this because I was a Dreamcast owner during that period and played numerous games online. The only game I know that had a subscription fee was Phantasy Star Online Version 2.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I never get to use Dreamcast's online gaming network. By the time I got my hands on a Dreamscast they've already stop production and it was selling for $80 brand new. Bought DC for Phantasy Star Online, and Shinmue 1 and 2. :p

I played Phantasy Star "Offline" lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Ruler said:
badgenome said:
If modern consoles were as good as the Dreamcast no one would complain about paying for online.

i dont think it was that of a good console, espacially now. It lacks exclsuives, most of the games on the dreamcast you can play them on different consoles. The only exclsuives left are D2 and Shenmue 1 which are intresting to me. And its also good to play a view defentive console versions like dino crysis 1, but other than that there arent any reasons to have a dreamcast.

Not sure I am missing something, but at the time DC was very underated.  All this thing had was exclusive after exclusive and very good ones at that. You can NOW play most of those games on different consoles but that did not happen until Sega gave up on the Dreamcast.  Even now there are games that make the system worth finding and owning even though it does not affect Sega at all and one that jumps out is one of my favorite DC games Record of Lodoss War. 

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

You'll have to forgive Ruler.  He has a Morpheus strapped to his head already.

lol, done.

Oh it was there. Sega went bust and now you know one of the reasons why. People expressed their outrage with their wallets.

SpokenTruth said:
Farsala said:

It did. IF it made the Dreamcast a massive success like the PS2, they would have stayed. It was a gamble that didn't pay off like they wanted.

It might have done quite well, but it did not make their hardware situation profitable as they hoped.

Popularity /= Profit.  Even if 100% of the install base had connected their Dreamcast online, Sega was still on the way out of the hardware business because it wasn't profitable for them (and in fact would likely have cost them considerably more money).

If they had 100% online I am sure they would not have quit. And if it sold as much as PS2 did in its early years then I am sure they would not have quit. Would have been quite profitable, and they would not have had to price cut anything.

I think we have re-written history with this thread (as gamers are known to do). Before this thread, I NEVER saw "Charging for online" as a reason why the Dreamcast failed. If anything, being online out of the box was one of the console's strengths.

I didn't know what online multiplayer was at the time but I was 12 with no computer and only a n64. And seeing where sega is now what is the point of caring what they charged for something that was pretty useless on it.