By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega charged $22 per month to play online for the Dreamcast. Where was the outcry back then?

I see no edit or updates to the first post.

Has the OP backtracked or apologized yet? Spreading misinformation.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Can we lock the thread with bases on it being conpletely innacurate?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

He can edit the part about SegaNet, but his main point, however relevant, is true. Sega did charge a monthly fee for online play across their titles before MicroSony.

LudicrousSpeed said:
He can edit the part about SegaNet, but his main point, however relevant, is true. Sega did charge a monthly fee for online play across their titles before MicroSony.

And look where they ended up now.

TomaTito said:

I see no edit or updates to the first post.

Has the OP backtracked or apologized yet? Spreading misinformation.

Why should i reply to this huge shitstorm, all things relevant have been said by me. Sega charged 10$ on top of their isp at some point this making them first. I just wanted to do everyone a favor and let this thread slowly die by being quiete and moving on.

Also i wanna say its sad to see a lot of people who cant turn down their nostalgia glasses and see the old sega also as a cooperation. In the end they werent better than sony or microsoft in a lot of decisions, but thats not politicly correct to say in the gaming community....

Around the Network
Farsala said:
1: It was 1st and in 96 or 2000. Even games were more expensive then.

2. Consumers did not agree with it, otherwise Sega would have declared the dreamcast profitable and kept on with thee business.

The dreamcast's discontinuation had nothing to do with it's online popularity.

GameAnalyser said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

And look where they ended up now.

I agree, they should have charged from the start.

Can someone tell me when this fee started? I don't remember the fee and i played online for quite a long time with PSO, quake 3 and other games. It must have been after it was discontinued, because i was still playing online after that.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I had a Dreamcast but never played it online. I'm american, BTW. I could be wrong since many are saying otherwise but I always thought Seganet cost. Hell, it came with a disc that tried (and failed) to get me to go online because I refused to give my credit card info. I owned Chu Chu Rocket, Shenmue, Out Trigger, and Quake 3 and always dreamed of taking them online but never did.

I did live in a rural area, though.

Its an ISP though... not just a console service that goes on top of your internet bill.