By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega charged $22 per month to play online for the Dreamcast. Where was the outcry back then?

Few had the Dreamcast, fewer had the online network, )and if you fit into that tiny niche,) even fewer kept the internet service.

I fit into all those catagories. I had a Dreamcast. I paid to play Phantasy Star Online, and I did so for about 2 months then figured the price wasn't worth it. (And Phantasy Star Online was free to play unlike other MMO's so in a way you paid atound the same price as someone who has say a PS4 and a pay to play MMO.)

Around the Network
episteme said:

It was something completely different.

You got a Dreamcast for free when you signed a contract to use Sega as your internet provider for two years (it didn't exist that long).

Online multiplayer wasn't behind a paywall, only Phantasy Star Online had fees in Japan and America (Version 2), it was free in Europe.

And as forus were hardly a thing back then i bet there wasn't even a shitstorm about europe having it free

Did you even owned a Dreamcast? I think if you would check internet and have had experience for yourself with the different consoles you would agree the Dreamcast was the best consoler for that time. (came out here in Europe October 1999 and PS2 came out in November 2000). when PS2 and Xbox came out the capabilities for those consoles was better as the hardware was better but in terms of games and gameplay etc I was much more satisfied by the Dreamcast as the hypes of the PS2 and Xbox where so big those two were a big dissapointment for me! It took very long to finally have some good games on the PS2 and Xbox.

'closing eyes and thinks back to the days, when playing 24/7 powerstone' those were the days!

There was a outcry, but nobody heard it because the shitstorm had not been invented and people still used the internet responsibly

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

RenCutypoison said:

And as forus were hardly a thing back then i bet there wasn't even a shitstorm about europe having it free

It was probably the other way around. People be saying "wow, Europe gets it for free, how cool!".

Shitstorms are something from our post-modern society, regrettably. Though it always provides amusement, I must say. :P

Around the Network

I cried. And I bet many others did. But It was a completely different world back then. We are talking pre-Windows XP era. The internet wan't the same thing back then. I don't even remember cellphones being a thing then. Not that many venues to voice your complains.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

The service, if I remember correct was a full ISP experience were you could use it as regular internet in addition to playing games on it. It was to provide a "cheap" connection that was tailored for games but could be used for other things, but the hook was the optimised gaming.

Here is the wikipedia article which basically says the same thing.

SegaNet became a short-lived internet service geared for dial-up based online gaming on the Dreamcast game console. A replacement for Sega's original, PC-only online gaming service, Heat.net, it was initially quite popular when launched on September 10, 2000. Unlike a standard ISP, game servers would be connected directly into SegaNet's internal network, providing very low connection latency between the consoles and servers along with standard Internet access.[citation needed]

Online games on the Dreamcast initially allowed free access to their game servers, to be offset by SegaNet subscriptions and game sales. But with the demise of SegaNet, most games shut their servers down while Phantasy Star Online version 2 charged a monthly fee,[2][3] but was closed for the last time at the end of the year. There are some private servers still online that can be played with the following games: 4x4 Evolution, Maximum Pool, Phantasy Star Online, Quake III Arena, Sega Swirl (Using play by e-mail), and Starlancer.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SegaNet

The price Sega charged for the service was within the average price range of an ISP at the time, that is why there was no outcry. Unfortuntly at the time most people had their own service for going on the internet and the better latancy wasn't that much of draw to get the service.

There was no "outcry" because the internet back then wasn't crowded with plug'n'play users and negative articles all over the place :)
It was mostly nerds being online but they at least valued the tech.

kappie1977 said:

Did you even owned a Dreamcast? I think if you would check internet and have had experience for yourself with the different consoles you would agree the Dreamcast was the best consoler for that time. (came out here in Europe October 1999 and PS2 came out in November 2000). when PS2 and Xbox came out the capabilities for those consoles was better as the hardware was better but in terms of games and gameplay etc I was much more satisfied by the Dreamcast as the hypes of the PS2 and Xbox where so big those two were a big dissapointment for me! It took very long to finally have some good games on the PS2 and Xbox.

'closing eyes and thinks back to the days, when playing 24/7 powerstone' those were the days!

Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 were some of the best games ever made and they came less than year after the PS2 came out in the West. Shadow of memories had one of the best storylines in gaming and it came out even ealier.

And tekken tag tourament? The PS2 had great games to play and worth waiting for

Ruler said:
kappie1977 said:

When the Dreamcast came out it was really the best Console ever IMO great times I had with this console and it's games! Too bad the mass had not chosen for this and chose for the PS2  And for the cost as already mentioned it was Sega.net as a provider. So for that time the deal wasn't really bad. I can remember that in my country you also couldn't have Dream Arena (as internet provider) and next to that in that time I only played online on PC. But still if we could get that internet package here end of the 90's and beginning '00 it would be a good deal, as the normal rate here was around EUR. 35,- per month with a limit. Nowdays there are hardly any internet only providers here, it's mostly all-in-one packages.

I dont think the dreamcast was such a good console. It had no dvd player, no backwarts competability, your old video cables and controllers didnt work.

The PS2 offered it all, it was a better value for your money not mention it was stronger anyways. 

You're right, the DC didnt have all of that fluff. It just had the huge selection of awesome games, including what was at the time by far the best launch ever.

Never seen such a large and steady flow of great games in such a short span.