By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama's Continued War on Human Rights

I love the fear argument. Especially from people who have to use Assault instead of Semi-Automatic as well as high capacity and long range over and over.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Lol, you named a city where guns are practically banned.

A city where you just have to go outside its unsecured boundaries to buy guns.

That's the problem with gun bans now isn't it? even if inacted nation wide people will still get guns and kill.

Human Rights?
Lol, that title borders bat-shit crazy.

sc94597 said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

You are more likely to die in Ireland than you are to be murdered in Wyoming? What the? Wyoming doesn't even have a major city so it's not comparable at all. The usa murder rate per 100,000 is 2.4. The Irish rate includes manslaughter. The use rate does not. Murders in Ireland are 90% of the time a criminal on criminal murder. In Wisconsin or Illinois I often hear of kids being shot in the head as they sit in their homes. Here, read channel3000.com. Then read rte.ie and compare. In my living memory I remember one cop death in Ireland and no cops shooting civilians. In Wisconsin, just this year there have been numerous of both. Say what you want but that's what I live with.

I'm pretty sure the stastic said the intentional homicide rate, so would that really include manslaughter?  And the same can be said for the U.S. Murders, especially gun related murders, are induced by drug activity and sales. Most people on the news who die by a gunshot are involved with drugs one way or another. Can you source the kids shot in their head thing. If it does exist, I'm sure it was because the parents owed money to their drug dealer or something like that, and the drug dealer decided to have a drive-by shooting. I'm also sure it was probably in a gun-controlled city, where you can't own one legally, like Chicago or Detroit. 

But still 2.4 vs. 1.2 is certainly not justification to say, people walk down the street afraid. That is silly. Especially, when in many states the homicide rate is similar to Ireland (New England, and the Mid West are especially safe.) 

I was wrong. The usa has a murder rate of 4.7 per 100,000. And yes Wyoming seems nice. There are nicer and safer places in the US, but again, it just shows that maybe people shouldn't generalize (including me). Especially with Europe seeing as it varies even more than the U.S. Here's the local news for you. I'm not here to argue about it. Just telling you how my wife feels and she grew up here. She cried last time we came home from Ireland and asked if we could stay in Galway.  Milwaukee is far worse and then to our south is Chicago. The should be half this amount of shootings and murders. It's scary.

Local And Regional News

Yakuzaice said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Lol, you named a city where guns are practically banned.

A city where you just have to go outside its unsecured boundaries to buy guns.

This would be a valid argument if most guns used in crimes were legally bought by the people commiting the crimes. 

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
I love the fear argument. Especially from people who have to use Assault instead of Semi-Automatic as well as high capacity and long range over and over.

Semi automatic doesn't mean the same things assault rifle does. Most handguns are semi auto. Most handguns are not considered assault rifles. I still don't really understand what the problem with using the term assault rifles is, but honestly, its just semantics either way. When I google assault rifle, I get a wiki page telling me what an assault rifle is and storefronts trying to sell me them. What do you want me to call them that accurately describes them?

Also, I'm pretty sure I was the only person who really mentioned high capacity and long range, because people like you got all up in arms about me using the term assault rifle, so I had to explain what type of gun I was talking about some way.

Honestly, if you are trying to laugh at me for using terms like "high capacity" and "long range" because you think I'm trying to incite fear, you should probably reevaluate your stance on these weapons if you think their defining characteristics are so frightening.

sundin13 said:
SmokedHostage said:

Semi automatic doesn't mean the same things assault rifle does. Most handguns are semi auto. Most handguns are not considered assault rifles. I still don't really understand what the problem with using the term assault rifles is, but honestly, its just semantics either way. When I google assault rifle, I get a wiki page telling me what an assault rifle is and storefronts trying to sell me them. What do you want me to call them that accurately describes them?

Also, I'm pretty sure I was the only person who really mentioned high capacity and long range, because people like you got all up in arms about me using the term assault rifle, so I had to explain what type of gun I was talking about some way.

Honestly, if you are trying to laugh at me for using terms like "high capacity" and "long range" because you think I'm trying to incite fear, you should probably reevaluate your stance on these weapons if you think their defining characteristics are so frightening.

It's less me associating those defining terms as frightening and more repeating them that does instill an emotional response in those who aren't for guns.  On Assault Rifles, yes I use Assault Rifle so that people know what I'm talking about but Assault Rifles has a connotation to it that does, yet again, instill an emotional response.  Maybe I'm just seeing too much into this but it seems like Assault is just the term to use if you wanted to put something in a class of truly dangerous over other weapons.

Pixel Art can be fun.

sundin13 said:

the problem with using the term assault rifles is,

Assualt Rifle historically defined fully automatic rifles that you can switch between fully automatic and semi-automatic, which for all intents and purposes are banned in the U.S for civilian use. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1] Assault rifles are currently the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44AK-47 and the M16 rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_fire

selective fire firearm has at least two firearm modes, which are activated by means of a selector which varies depending on the weapon's design. Some selective fire weapons utilize burst firemechanisms to limit the maximum number of shots fired automatically in this mode. 

NobleTeam360 said:

That's the problem with gun bans now isn't it? even if inacted nation wide people will still get guns and kill.

While I'm not an advocate of a nationwide gun ban, using Chicago's situation as proof it can't work is ridiculous.  Chicago's level of control of its borders doesn't compare to that of the national borders.  Going to Mexico or Canada and procurring a gun and returning to the US is a lot different than driving a few minutes to Chuck's gun shop and then heading back into Chicago.

Obviously some could still get in, but it wouldn't be the millions that are currently manufactured and legally sold in the US.

Yakuzaice said:
NobleTeam360 said:

While I'm not an advocate of a nationwide gun ban, using Chicago's situation as proof it can't work is ridiculous.  Chicago's level of control of its borders doesn't compare to that of the national borders.  Going to Mexico or Canada and procurring a gun and returning to the US is a lot different than driving a few minutes to Chuck's gun shop and then heading back into Chicago.

Obviously some could still get in, but it wouldn't be the millions that are currently manufactured and legally sold in the US.

What happens to the 315+ million guns that are already here?