By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Nintendo action RPG, good idea or bad?

Tagged games:

A Nintendo Action-RPG

Great idea! Lemme have it plx. 62 70.45%

Horrible idea! Are you tr... 2 2.27%

Meh. 4 4.55%

Could work, would need to see it first. 20 22.73%

Total:88
Wyrdness said:

Well done you post a reply that failed to address any points at all, so you're saying the Shrek and Carnival Games are better then the majority of X1 and PS4 games based off sales alone? Good thing you're not in any X1/PS4 forum or any other boards as you'd be lucky to be taken seriously in any future debate also note how you ignored someone else who pointed out how silly the logic you're trying to push.

As I predicted you'd move goal posts and start saying only a certain amount of sales equals a certain amount of quality, you're transparent at this point and have been found out hard, it's not me twisting your words it's your own words coming back to haunt you. We were talking about Nintendo's RPGs and I told you to give your definition of quality and you came out with sales and profit, you realize now how that contradicts your early ramblings so have now adjusted goal posts even more to try and suit your argument which was improvized from the get go.

Explain in logical terms how unit sales measure quality especially Nuvendil highlight how broken your logic is, no in fact lets go one better, lets take your exact argument in here and put it forward to the whole forum, go on lets go, word for word start a topic in the general explaining your logic and how you think Carnival Games and so on are better the the likes of ICO etc... and lets link this topic as well so people can read your posts.

Explain how sales equal quality and how 2m sales means a game is average, put your money where your mouth is.

Still see that your not addressing my argument ...

What does the criteria of quality = sales mean in your example ? Why even ask the question at all when the answer is simple ? 

You pointing out Nuvendil's rebuttal towards me is irrelevant in this back and forth between you and I ... 

A certain amount of sales has ALWAYS meant a certain amount of quality, plain and simple. Anyone would've came to that conclusion with a little more thinking. There was no moving goal posts here, just you twisting my words out of context ...

Just how many more empty accusations are you going to keep pulling on me ? 

As to how quality = sales it's because CONSUMERS define what is and what isn't a quality product, not a bunch of strangers from the internet like you or others would suggest ... 

2 million units is pretty average all things considered when you look at how a lot of the AAA games today are able to reach that milestone ...

Around the Network

oh gosh I think this escalated sometime between page 1 and 10 LOL

ahem so my opinion on the original topic is something like "that might be cool but I don't really have a big craving for it". Not only is couch co-op for an RPG hard, but I feel like the type of game you're mentioning is in such a niche that it's not in very high demand--you can kind of get bits and pieces of the experience by playing other games.

So it would be nice, but I don't think it's really uh, high-priority right now, or something. XP

RolStoppable said:

Is this the post where it all started?

Whether you use Metascore, user reviews, sales or fandom as the metric, the result is always the same: Your post is plain stupid. I haven't read much of the subsequent posts, but if the basis is stupidity, then defending it will inevitably lead to more stupidity.

Feel free to provide me with a summary of your "argument", then I can decide if I should call you an idiot or not.

Then feel free to call me an idiot ... 

End of day ... 

I agree. I was thinking the same thing fairly recently and with the control scheme options it could be very very good. Since Diablo is so much point and click, the gamepad would work great, and for a second control scheme a Wii remote could be used. Part of what makes those games so great are the simplicity of control so that would need to translate over. These games are great for couch co-op, especially the likes of Gauntlet.
Yes, Nintendo should absolutely have one of their studios do this, probably intelligent systems since they have so much experience with games that use rts and rpg elements.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

fatslob-:O said:

What does the criteria of quality = sales mean in your example ? Why even ask the question at all when the answer is simple ? 

You pointing out Nuvendil's rebuttal towards me is irrelevant in this back and forth between you and I ... 

A certain amount of sales has ALWAYS meant a certain amount of quality, plain and simple. Anyone would've came to that conclusion with a little more thinking. There was no moving goal posts here, just you twisting my words out of context ...

As to how quality = sales it's because CONSUMERS define what is and what isn't a quality product, not a bunch of strangers from the internet like you or others would suggest ... 

2 million units is pretty average all things considered when you look at how a lot of the AAA games today are able to reach that milestone ...

Except I've addressed all your points no need to even repeat myself, at this point you just don't want to acknowledge it and continue to side step which is why I dare you to bring your logic to the rest of the forum and even link our whole conversation for reference, I wait to see if you even really have the balls to really stand by your improvized logic or whether it was just a broken attempt to defend your earlier posts and refuse to hold your hands up. I'm not the only one calling you at this point or to start off with go figure, we'll talk once the thread is up, your call.

Around the Network

So you're saying games like Pac-Man and E.T. on the Atari are better quality games than FE:A and Xenoblade that sold signifacantly less?

To OP: Maybe Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei might fill the void once we get more info :P

I'd like to see a 3d secret of mana. I think that would fit in the Nintendo universe very well. Just borrow the time, the co-op, the cutesy feel, the weapon system and you've got gold. I'm not sure how well it would sell, but it'd be a ton of fun to play. As an added bonus, allow the game to switch between 2d and 3d at will to really give it a kick in the nostalgia pants.

Wyrdness said:

Well done you post a reply that failed to address any points at all, so you're saying the Shrek and Carnival Games are better then the majority of X1 and PS4 games based off sales alone? Good thing you're not in any X1/PS4 forum or any other boards as you'd be lucky to be taken seriously in any future debate also note how you ignored someone else who pointed out how silly the logic you're trying to push.

As I predicted you'd move goal posts and start saying only a certain amount of sales equals a certain amount of quality, you're transparent at this point and have been found out hard, it's not me twisting your words it's your own words coming back to haunt you. We were talking about Nintendo's RPGs and I told you to give your definition of quality and you came out with sales and profit, you realize now how that contradicts your early ramblings so have now adjusted goal posts even more to try and suit your argument which was improvized from the get go.

Explain in logical terms how unit sales measure quality especially Nuvendil highlight how broken your logic is, no in fact lets go one better, lets take your exact argument in here and put it forward to the whole forum, go on lets go, word for word start a topic in the general explaining your logic and how you think Carnival Games and so on are better the the likes of ICO etc... and lets link this topic as well so people can read your posts.

Explain how sales equal quality and how 2m sales means a game is average, put your money where your mouth is.

No, consumers define what is popular.  Quality and popularity do not necessarily go hand in hand; there are objective princples and criteria to evaluate the quality of a creation as a representation of the given medium.  These facts have been recognized for millenia.  You can rail against the quality of this particular oponent's arguments, but you are arguing in reality with a large number of great thinkers from history going back to Aristotle and Poetics.  If not further. 

You can sell anything to anyone with the right marketing.  A man named Gary Dahl sold 1.5 million pet *rocks*.  Rocks.  A rock in a box. 

super_etecoon said:
I'd like to see a 3d secret of mana. I think that would fit in the Nintendo universe very well. Just borrow the time, the co-op, the cutesy feel, the weapon system and you've got gold. I'm not sure how well it would sell, but it'd be a ton of fun to play. As an added bonus, allow the game to switch between 2d and 3d at will to really give it a kick in the nostalgia pants.

Pretty much this. I'd love an Action RPG like Secret of Mana in a similar graphical style like A Link between Worlds.
And if they'd make a SoM style game then I hope without something like those ring menues, they slowed down the pace in combat quite a lot.

I doubt it would sell millions, so it's probably a void that a small Nintendo studio would have to fill.

Platforms: Wii U, New 3DS, PS4, PC

currently playing: 
 -Yoshi's Wooly World 
 -Pokemon X
 -Fire Emblem Fates 

Zone: Europe (Germany)

On the Wii U, I could get behind such but not for the 3DS, Nintendo actually gets a lot of push thanks to Capcom's Monster Hunter series, along other RPGs, such as Sega/Atlus' Etrian franchise, random Mysterious Dungeon games and other ones. So they don't want to step on a valued 3rd party partner's toes in the bigger market.

The Wii U however could easily use some extra games, a co-op action RPG of some kind could easily be done using an existing popular IP like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Pokemon or even Xenoblade or it could be a revival of franchise such as Mysterious Murasame Castle or even brand new IP. They have options, its a matter of using them.