By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Nintendo action RPG, good idea or bad?

Tagged games:

A Nintendo Action-RPG

Great idea! Lemme have it plx. 62 70.45%

Horrible idea! Are you tr... 2 2.27%

Meh. 4 4.55%

Could work, would need to see it first. 20 22.73%

Total:88
archer9234 said:

I don't get why people always say Zelda isn't a RPG. It means Role Playing Game. Not Role Leveling System Playing Game.

Tbh Zelda is more of a genre of its own, it's an Adventure game that has elements of RPGs and Sand Box genre. It can really fall under any of these but is mainly seen as an Adventure game because character growth (not necessarily leveling) isn't the central part of the experience.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Pokemon is not flying off the shelfs? Earthbound/Mother doesn't have a cult following? Paper Mario games didn't sell between 1-3 million? Mario & Luigi for the 3DS didn't sell almost 2 million? If sales mean anything in regards to quality, then all of these games are better RPGs than something like Persona or Tales of. 

Pokemon is not developed by Nintendo ...

Paper Mario is a decent series but not exactly great. 

These games are probably indeed better than Persona or Tales of ...

fatslob-:O said:

Wait, Mario & Luigi is an RPG ? 

Yes. The South Park RPG actually has a very similar combat system. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_role-playing_games#Mario_.26_Luigi_series

• Known in Japan as Mario & Luigi RPG (マリオ&ルイージRPG?)

sc94597 said:

Pokemon is not flying off the shelfs? Earthbound/Mother doesn't have a cult following? Paper Mario games didn't sell between 1-3 million? Mario & Luigi for the 3DS didn't sell almost 2 million? If sales mean anything in regards to quality, then all of these games are better RPGs than something like Persona or Tales of. 

Pokemon is not developed by Nintendo ...

Paper Mario is a decent series but not exactly great. 

These games are probably indeed better than Persona or Tales of ...

What does "developed by Nintendo" even mean? There are many developers in Nintendo. Usually when we say a game is a Nintendo game, we mean published by Nintendo, and that is what the OP meant. 

I think it's a great idea!

Nintendo certainly has the studios and connections to make it. 

Between EAD Kyoto Group 3, Retro Studios, Intelligent Systems, and Monolith Soft, Nintendo employs many of the best developers of action and RPG games in the world. The company could also call on AlphaDream or Camelot for assistance.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

What does "developed by Nintendo" even mean? There are many developers in Nintendo. Usually when we say a game is a Nintendo game, we mean published by Nintendo, and that is what the OP meant. 

It's exactly what I mean ...

Wait, Mario & Luigi is an RPG ? 

Fire Emblem Awakening is probably decent and I don't exactly see many heralding Paper Mario as one of the top tier RPGs ...

Then you should open your eyes because Paper Mario is easily seen as a great RPG by many with the original and TTYD seen as two of the best RPGs to ever surface. Awakening is easily a great RPG as well considered that by both many who have played it and critics and Mario and Luigi is an RPG series that is the counterpart to Paper Mario in that it builds on what Super Mario RPG brought but goes down a different route then the former. I don't know where you're getting all this tbh as the are many things that contradict what you've posted.

sc94597 said:

It's exactly what I mean ...

So you're definiton of "developed by Nintendo" is that Nintendo owns the developer? Do you believe 1st party games published by Nintendo, but developed by a third or second party developer have no input from Nintendo? Of course they do. 

Wyrdness said:

Then you should open your eyes because Paper Mario is easily seen as a great RPG by many with the original and TTYD seen as two of the best RPGs to ever surface. Awakening is easily a great RPG as well considered that by both many who have played it and critics and Mario and Luigi is an RPG series that is the counterpart to Paper Mario in that it builds on what Super Mario RPG brought but goes down a different route then the former. I don't know where you're getting all this tbh as the are many things that contradict what you've posted.

I'm sure Paper Mario is decent and the rest of the games you mentioned but maybe my criteria for "great" is different from everyone else on here ...

I'm sure Paper Mario is decent and the rest of the games you mentioned but maybe my criteria for "great" is different from everyone else on here ...

Then define what you think great means.