By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Nintendo action RPG, good idea or bad?

Tagged games:

A Nintendo Action-RPG

Great idea! Lemme have it plx. 62 70.45%

Horrible idea! Are you tr... 2 2.27%

Meh. 4 4.55%

Could work, would need to see it first. 20 22.73%

Total:88
Samus Aran said:

xbx is an action rpg, so strange question lol.

No it's not. Action RPG =/= Real Time RPG. An Action RPG needs 1:1 button/key mapping. Meaning if I press x character performs x-attack. If I press y character performs y-attack. Some action-rpgs do use menus as well (see: Kingdom Hearts) but their main gameplay is through button-maps. 

Around the Network

Get a Wii and download Secret of Mana.

You are welcome.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

spemanig said:
bigtakilla said:
Wonderful 101. It's a Nintendo IP action rpg with couch multiplayer. It's also a freaking amazing game.

W101 isn't an RPG. It's a hack'n'sla-

I seriously need to stop getting so anal about characterizations. It'll drive me mad.

True, but a hack and slash is action oriented, and you level your team up like a RPG (unlike a typical H&S), you get new skills and abilities through leveling up (unlike a typical hack & slash).

As long as it's a new IP, I will be very happy to see it.

garywood said:
Well we've got Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy Explorers on the way.
I'm probably rather they tried another genre. Maybe first person shooters. Love to see what Nintendo could do there.

I feel like porting Fatal Frame and delivering on Metroid Prime 4 would be enough first person for the next two years. Especially since we're getting DEvil's Third and Splatoon for generally shooting.

For genres I'd like to see... RTS. Pikmin is awesome but I fel like the WIi-U could be used for some pretty effective RTS games. 

Around the Network

I didn't mean to get people all riled up over game definitions. I tagged Kingdoms of Amalur because I knew I wasn't explaining it very well and I was hoping that it would kind of fill in some of that gap. Yes, it would be a dungeon crawler as well as an action RPG. It would have elements of hack and slash gameplay, dungeon crawling, leveling, gear, skill trees(or a skill system) thats all button mapped as someone mentioned before. It would be similar to Fantasy Life, with a more serious and mature tone. Colorful doesn't have to mean childish.

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

Twilord said: For genres I'd like to see... RTS. Pikmin is awesome but I fel like the WIi-U could be used for some pretty effective RTS games. 

For sure. I would love to see like a SimCity game, or Tropico or something along those lines. Would work great with the gamepad.

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

Have you not played The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, or Xenoblade Chronicles?

I don't care what your personal definition is. Xenoblade Chronicles/Xenoblade X both are action RPG's, according to Wikipedia.

Bad idea ...

RPGs are one of Nintendo's weaker areas when it comes to that genre ...