By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA shuts down Maxis Emeryville(Spore/SimCity). Other branches staying open (.... for now)

DialgaMarine said:
Damn... What does that mean for SimCity Buildit on mobile? I've actually been enjoying that game.

Isn't Tracktwenty the developer?

Around the Network
Protendo said:
DialgaMarine said:
Damn... What does that mean for SimCity Buildit on mobile? I've actually been enjoying that game.

Isn't Tracktwenty the developer?

True. I forgot about that

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

So is EA basically just Battlefied and Sports now?

ExplodingBlock said:
So is EA basically just Battlefied and Sports now?

Also Need for Speed and Star Wars (ten year Disney deal)

2015 release

• Battlefield Hardline (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)[62]
  • EA Sports PGA Tour (PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Need for Speed: No Limits (iOS, Android)

TBA

• Mirror's Edge 2 (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Untitled Mass Effect sequel (Platforms TBA)
  • Untitled Criterion Games new IP (Platforms TBA)
  • Untitled BioWare Star Wars game (Platforms TBA)
  • Untitled Visceral Games Star Wars Game (Platforms TBA)
  • Untitled The Sims 4 Expansion Pack (Microsoft Windows)
  • Untitled Ghost Games Need for Speed game (Platforms TBA)
  • Fifa 16 (Platforms TBA)

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Wait, westwood studios is completely dead? :( That makes me a very sad panda.

Not completely, half of them went to work with EA, that team made:

C&C Red Alert 3

C&C 3

C&C Kanes Warth

C&C 4

Unfortunetly C&C 4 flopped pretty hard due to it trying to be like Dawn of War style of gameplay (capping areas for example instead of all out battling), they killed base building, put a unit cap on the only version of the game which has been known for never needing a unit cap and the rpevious installments never had unit caps and to top it all off they held your hand by visually telling you which units were good against what, made those not good against other units shoot a different laser colour and do nothing at all, all while giving next to no proper grounded closure towards the ending of the Tiberium universe, probably the worst ending I've ever seen in an RTS game ever let alone a game that came out in 2010.

EA closed down that team they had with them some time after C&C sold bad and got panned, they then decided to make a new team around 2012-2013 called Victory studios (later Victory Bioware) who were supposed to be working on C&C Generals 2, while using the Frostbite 2 engine the game looked really amazing and looked promising, they even let some fans in on the alpha/beta testing with the studio close by to really make this a turning point for C&C.

Sometime during 2014 I believe EA out of nowhere just cancelled the game and dissolved the studio, ever since then we've had next to no enws about a C&C game and with what's happened recently with Maxis and Sim city/Sims I see the exact same scenario happening all over again.

EA just can't be trusted to handle bought studios/ip's, they leave them to rot or handle them very badly, that's another great ip/studio gone in the rubbish pile that probably won't be recycled again until 5 years or more from now, maybe never because EA probably thinks we don't want another Sim City/Sims/C&C game even though they should know the last one's were shit due to their mishandling and non caring approach.

The other half of Westwood has a bit of a slightly brighter story, they went on to make their own studio called Petroglyph games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroglyph_Games

They went on to make games like Star Wars Empire at War, Universe at War and most recently grey Goo. They still make RTS type games but honeslty even with the recent release of grey Goo they aren't amazing world melting games, grey Goo looks beautiful with Weta workshop's CGI and the units in general look nice but the gameplay is limiting, slow, lacking important features like replays, 6- player maps/modes with the game only sporting 4 players tops and the campaign only going for 15 missions with all 3 factions starting mission being each factions tutorial meaning it's 12 missions in total which is pretty weak for an RTS campaign in 2015.

Still I have faith and trust PG than I would EA, although I like Titanfall, I only do so because it's not created and owned by EA since they merely published it, I worry about how Star Wars will be handled but I think EA know what's at stake with Disney involved, I can imagine they wouldn't want to screw with a corp as big and powerful as Disney as they would a few customers.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

EA is the worst. Just the worst.

Side note, I logged on just to look for this topic. I am pretty surprised at how little the community here seems to care. Less than 40 posts in 8 hours? Weak.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

First Command & Conquer and now Sim City. I guess EA wants me to hate them...

Chazore said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Wait, westwood studios is completely dead? :( That makes me a very sad panda.

Not completely, half of them went to work with EA, that team made:

C&C Red Alert 3

C&C 3

C&C Kanes Warth

C&C 4

Unfortunetly C&C 4 flopped pretty hard due to it trying to be like Dawn of War style of gameplay (capping areas for example instead of all out battling), they killed base building, put a unit cap on the only version of the game which has been known for never needing a unit cap and the rpevious installments never had unit caps and to top it all off they held your hand by visually telling you which units were good against what, made those not good against other units shoot a different laser colour and do nothing at all, all while giving next to no proper grounded closure towards the ending of the Tiberium universe, probably the worst ending I've ever seen in an RTS game ever let alone a game that came out in 2010.

EA closed down that team they had with them some time after C&C sold bad and got panned, they then decided to make a new team around 2012-2013 called Victory studios (later Victory Bioware) who were supposed to be working on C&C Generals 2, while using the Frostbite 2 engine the game looked really amazing and looked promising, they even let some fans in on the alpha/beta testing with the studio close by to really make this a turning point for C&C.

Sometime during 2014 I believe EA out of nowhere just cancelled the game and dissolved the studio, ever since then we've had next to no enws about a C&C game and with what's happened recently with Maxis and Sim city/Sims I see the exact same scenario happening all over again.

EA just can't be trusted to handle bought studios/ip's, they leave them to rot or handle them very badly, that's another great ip/studio gone in the rubbish pile that probably won't be recycled again until 5 years or more from now, maybe never because EA probably thinks we don't want another Sim City/Sims/C&C game even though they should know the last one's were shit due to their mishandling and non caring approach.

The other half of Westwood has a bit of a slightly brighter story, they went on to make their own studio called Petroglyph games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroglyph_Games

They went on to make games like Star Wars Empire at War, Universe at War and most recently grey Goo. They still make RTS type games but honeslty even with the recent release of grey Goo they aren't amazing world melting games, grey Goo looks beautiful with Weta workshop's CGI and the units in general look nice but the gameplay is limiting, slow, lacking important features like replays, 6- player maps/modes with the game only sporting 4 players tops and the campaign only going for 15 missions with all 3 factions starting mission being each factions tutorial meaning it's 12 missions in total which is pretty weak for an RTS campaign in 2015.

Still I have faith and trust PG than I would EA, although I like Titanfall, I only do so because it's not created and owned by EA since they merely published it, I worry about how Star Wars will be handled but I think EA know what's at stake with Disney involved, I can imagine they wouldn't want to screw with a corp as big and powerful as Disney as they would a few customers.

Red alert and the original C&C were by far my favorites. RA2 was really fun for awhile but I losty hope in it once I played it online. Nerds could blow eachother up in seconds. RA1 allowed for a lot of build up and drawn out wars. Things got even worse after RA2 and i lost all attratcion to the franchise, instead completely becoming engrossed in civ, which I have followed since the early 90's too.

Noooo, I lived Sim City :(

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

theRepublic said:
EA is the worst. Just the worst.

Side note, I logged on just to look for this topic. I am pretty surprised at how little the community here seems to care. Less than 40 posts in 8 hours? Weak.

If it doesn't implicate one of the big three, folks generally don't care around here. If Maxis' last game had been a PS4 exclusive or something, this thread would be at 300 posts already.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.