By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA shuts down Maxis Emeryville(Spore/SimCity). Other branches staying open (.... for now)

Really dislike that EA keeps doing this.

Buy > milk > run down > close. Its a leech company.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Yes, many companies are ran like that, and they all end up the same way as Maxim. The few that are still about show that good management is the difference between success and failure, but one issue in gaming is that a lot of management have no idea what the hell they are doing, and fewer have the charisma needed to push an idea or concept to senior folks.

EA is the management of Maxis.  Or was, until they decided they were no longer worth keeping open.  They made the game the way it turned out on purpose.  Maxis was a part of EA for 18 years.  By that point, I am sure their cultures were completely intertwined.  While I am sure not everyone working on the games agreed, the leadership of EA certainly did.  EA had complete control of Maxis, and now they decided to shut them down.

EA has been pulling the same anti-consumer moves with all of their games for years.  This wasn't something Maxis decided to do on their own.  I am not sure why you are so intent at blaming Maxis for something EA has been pursuing with all of their studios.

That isn't how companies work. Maxis would have had their own managers etc, and then the company as a whole would report to EA rather than EA having people actually in Maxis.

TheJimbo1234 said:
theRepublic said:

EA is the management of Maxis.  Or was, until they decided they were no longer worth keeping open.  They made the game the way it turned out on purpose.  Maxis was a part of EA for 18 years.  By that point, I am sure their cultures were completely intertwined.  While I am sure not everyone working on the games agreed, the leadership of EA certainly did.  EA had complete control of Maxis, and now they decided to shut them down.

EA has been pulling the same anti-consumer moves with all of their games for years.  This wasn't something Maxis decided to do on their own.  I am not sure why you are so intent at blaming Maxis for something EA has been pursuing with all of their studios.

That isn't how companies work. Maxis would have had their own managers etc, and then the company as a whole would report to EA rather than EA having people actually in Maxis.

Of course Maxis had their own managers.  But they were not a separate company.  EA had complete control over what they did.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)