By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide

Under-tracked as usual. I bet a large portion is from under-tracking in the US. Every time I go to a gamestop I see at least one PS4 getting bought. Still never seen an X1 sell with my own eyes...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Under-tracked as usual. I bet a large portion is from under-tracking in the US. Every time I go to a gamestop I see at least one PS4 getting bought. Still never seen an X1 sell with my own eyes...

i doubt its in the us since we have npd and vgc adjust the numbers after the npd released (more or less)

i think most of those 400-500k are from eu and row ... come on ps sales are higher in the us than sony land aka eu ?

Does anyone else think VR is the next big thing? like the wii with its motion tracking?
I can see FPS shooters being popular with VR, and exploration games, MMORPG's.

How far along is microsofts VR tech? Because sony's project Morpheus looks to be around early 2016 release.
I can see sony becomeing the standart go to VR gameing consol, which could probably boost sales a good bit.

That ll def. be the "something" new, this gen might have been lacking. The true next gen, VR?

JRPGfan said:
Does anyone else think VR is the next big thing? like the wii with its motion tracking?

How far along is microsofts VR tech? Because sony's project Morpheus looks to be around early 2016 release.
I can see sony becomeing the standart go to VR gameing consol, which could probably boost sales a good bit.

That ll def. be the "something" new, this gen might have been lacking. The true next gen, VR?

I think it's going to depend on how well the VR is done. If it's well done, it definitely could be the next big thing. I've wanted it for a while, personally. It'll be one of those things that i probably will wait a month or 2 to buy, just to see what bugs it has and such.

JRPGfan said:

VR is def. the next big thing! that's why facebook bought oculus. they believe it is the future of the internet and how we interact online.

I just don't know if we are already there, so it might be, that when sony releases its version it might just be a demo or beta test of what they really want it to be.

It could make them the go to company in terms of VR or actually turn people away from their devices because the experience is not good enough, especially if MS , valve and oculus release a better version only a year after sony does.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
JRPGfan said:

"As of the 1st of March, 2015, sales of Sony PlayStation 4 to end users surpassed 20.2 million units,..."

Meanwhile on VGchartz.... looks at PS4 sales @19,4m.

Yep undertracked by 800k+ (surpassed means over 20.2).

VGC numbers are up until 14th of december though, so its behind by like 2 weeks. based on the tracking they were gonna be between 350k-400k. so VGC is undertracking by around 400k-450k. 

February ;)

2008ProchargedGT said:
bananaking21 said:

VGC numbers are up until 14th of december though, so its behind by like 2 weeks. based on the tracking they were gonna be between 350k-400k. so VGC is undertracking by around 400k-450k. 

February ;)

damn! how did i fuck that up lol. 

Congratulation PS4!
But no words for PS Vita from Sony...

Kresnik said:
Blimey, impressive. I still don't quite get why it's selling so well.

I don't see any disvantage since PS4 announcement to it sell bad.

Marketing: Sony did not make any mistake since announce #4DaPlayers
Power: Most balanced and powerful machine... easy to developer with the best SDK... no discussion here.
Price: You know it was cheaper and have better value for the money... MS needed to drop/cut price a lot to can reach the same value
Pedigree: PS brand is know for strong line up of 1st party games (more than the competition) plus they got the Indie scene in love and the support of key 3rd parties
Focus: No TV, kinect and Cloud bullshit... direct to the players with the best DRM policies (between the consoles)
Games: Each month I see dozen of new games launching on PS4, at least one big game per month... the competition? Seems like a desert of releases... nothing month after month.... I can say proud PS4 crossed the mark of 200 games launched in the firest year while the competition couldn't touch 100 games.

I can give more point why PS4 is selling so well...

Adding another key point...

Planning: Sony planned right with the launch, post-launch and now future.