By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroid vs Resistance - Which is the better series?

Which is the better series?

Metroid 385 75.64%

Resistance 83 16.31%

See Results! 41 8.06%

Total:509
Kerotan said:

The guy below says it is.  Well I know I'd enjoy resistance more than if I'm looking for a shooting experience. 

The only Metroid game that fits in the Action meta-genre (where shooters fit) is Metroid Prime: Hunters. All of the other games are action-adventures. Criticizing Metroid for not having excellent multiplayer is like criticizing Bioshock for not having excellent multiplayer, but even more extremely so. Sure we can call these games shooters, but that would be like calling TLoZ a hack n slash, because you hack and you slash with your sword. 

Around the Network

Metroid. No even a question really

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Clyde32 said:
Dr.Vita said:

Nope but you thought that i don't have played a Resistance game.

Eeeh ok?

While I find Resistance 3 to be an extremely enjoyable game, with good replayability (taking into consideration that multiplayer is dead nowadays); and I liked Resistance 1 back in its days (I hate Resistance 2, though), there's no question that Metroid Prime, Echoes and Corruption, plus the 2D Metroids to add into the mix (I hope you don't want to count that Resistance Vita game...) are superb in every single way, and I gotta stick with those.

Metroid, really.

Dr.Vita said:

Eeeh ok?

...Alright then.

Around the Network
Clyde32 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

The Primes are, as is Other M (I haven't played the older games but I suspect they are shooters)... but shooter is not a genre, and if shooter is a genre then I would argue Metroid is more of a shooter than CoD/Battlefield etc. You don't shoot to open doors or shoot to solve puzzles in CoD.

The Metroid Prime games are pure adventure games IMO, they have "action" in them as do most video games, but they are not action/adventures. Most FPS of recent years though are action/adventure with a heavy emphasis on action.

Prime games are First Person Adventure games. The difference between this and a shooter is the primary focus of the game is adventure, rather than shooting. 

Other M was more of an action game then anything else. 

And the other games are not even remotely close. 

The only game that you could call a shooter was Prime Hunters. 

Kerotan said:
Clyde32 said:

1st mistake. Metroid is not a shooter.

The guy below says it is.  Well I know I'd enjoy resistance more than if I'm looking for a shooting experience. 

See above.

Ok but that doesn't change the fact resistance had 3 really different online experiences and 2 of them I loved.  I'm sure I'd have liked Metroid in the single player offline regard. 

Metroid easily for me, but FPSs not really my thing. Super Metroid still holds up well today and want another game in that vein from the series (yes, I enjoyed Fusion).

Ultr said:
V-r0cK said:
raidinglarastomb said:
Without a doubt Metroid. I only played resistance on the psp, and I hope it plays a hell of a lot better on the home console thanon the psp, cause that quite frankly sucked. Also metroid prime and super metroid are two of the best games ever made. I doubt you could say that about resistance.

The PSP one was the worst of the series.  It's unfortunate you had to play that one of all Resistance games.

OT: Metroid seems to be the better answer, but I've actually enjoyed the Resistance series more with co-op campaign.

oh cmon, just because you couldn't handle the controls it was a bad game? did you play it through? actually the game was excellent once you got the controls. (in my opinion of course :))

lol I have loads of games on the psp so I am used of the controls on it. It was just a poor game, I didn't finish it but got about half way through it.

old skool

Dusk said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
Clyde32 said:
Kerotan said:

That's good and all but I've liked too many other shooters to ever stay enjoying 1 for that long.  Cod4, mw2, old medal of honors,  battlefield games,  metro etc. 

I'm sure I'd have loved the old Metroids like on the Gamecube when they came out.  

1st mistake. Metroid is not a shooter.

The Primes are, as is Other M (I haven't played the older games but I suspect they are shooters)... but shooter is not a genre, and if shooter is a genre then I would argue Metroid is more of a shooter than CoD/Battlefield etc. You don't shoot to open doors or shoot to solve puzzles in CoD.

The Metroid Prime games are pure adventure games IMO, they have "action" in them as do most video games, but they are not action/adventures. Most FPS of recent years though are action/adventure with a heavy emphasis on action.

They really aren't FPS. They are First Person games with some shooting elements, but it's more puzzle solving and adventure than shooting. Sooo... Yeah I agree lol. 

The earlier ones and Fuzion aren't shooters in the sense of like Contra, but very much fit what you explained the Primes to be, just in 2D. You should check out Super and Fuzion though. The first metroid is good, but can annoy some players due to less sophisticated controls now. 

I think it's more a question of semantics... I don't see "FPS" as a genre of gaming but as a game mechanic (like "3D", or "turn-based") FPS has kind of become a genre of it's own purely because they are nearly all the same game in different skins (Metroid Prime being one of the few exceptions)

In Metroid Prime you play with a first-person camera view and the primary game input after character movement is to shoot, therefore it's a first person shooter.

CoD/Resistance = FPS Action (or Action/Adventure, but with the focus on multiplayer nowadays there is very little adventure)
Metroid Prime = FPS Adventure
Portal = FPS Puzzler

Other than what I percieve as a game genre I agree with you and Clyde32... Metroid Prime is different enough from Resistance that it's comparing oranges to apples. Metroid as a whole is like comaring all citrus fruits to apples.

Kerotan said:
Never played Metroid but I loved all 3 resistance games.

I will say this, could any Metroid offer 60 player online battles and 8 player coop? That was a blast on resistance 2. The first resistance had epic 40 player battles too.

When it came to online resistance takes it.

Pls, keroton plssssssss...... Tell me your joking with this^