By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - An Unprejudiced Review: The Order 1886

Tagged games:

Care to explain why you don't think I know what unprejudiced means.

Around the Network

Please tell me how you can experience a game without playing it.

You unbiased!?  Of course!! Why would anyone think otherwise!?  LOL

Jimbo1337 said:

You might actually enjoy the story if you PAYED ATTENTION and weren't trying to skip the cutscenes!  

"Constant unskippable cut scenes"

"The Order feeds you constant, unskippable story elements"

It sounds like you were trying to complete the story as quickly as you could, (trying to skip through the cutscenes), to prove how fast you could complete the game.  

You're a joke!

That's not really called for, is it?

I don't care much about the game nor this particular review but he's completely entitled to his opinion and a low score should be no means detract from the time and effort he spent writing the review.  It's not like he just slapped a 5 on it and called it a day, he has justified his opinion and it's clear he has played the game, which is often more than we see from professional reviewers.

What people don't seem to appreciate is that there is not a universal, objective standard of overall game quality or game components. So debating with him about how the story is 'actually' good is completely futile, because even if you're 'right', he is under no obligation to weight that component of the game to any significant degree.

There aren't even hard and fast rules about how you should use a ten point scale. Maybe his idea of a 5 is the same as your idea of a 7, you just don't know. With that in mind I'm curious to know, if your feel problem is more with the content of the review or the number he put at the end?  Would you feel any better if the content was the same but he gave it a 6.5? 

That being said, if it becomes clear through the content of this (or any other) review that the reviewer's perspective and priorities are not well aligned with your own, then there may be no merit for you in that particular review, and that is fine.

It doesn't necessarily make him predjudiced, biased or a joke, it just means he thinks differently from you.

hsrob said:

That's not really called for, is it?

I don't care much about the game nor this particular review but he's completely entitled to his opinion and a low score should be no means detract from the time and effort he spent writing the review.  It's not like he just slapped a 5 on it and called it a day, he has justified his opinion and it's clear he has played the game, which is often more than we see from professional reviewers.

What people don't seem to appreciate is that there is not a universal, objective standard of overall game quality or game components. So debating with him about how the story is 'actually' good is completely futile, because even if you're 'right', he is under no obligation to weight that component of the game to any significant degree.

There aren't even hard and fast rules about how you should use a ten point scale. Maybe his idea of a 5 is the same as your idea of a 7, you just don't know. With that in mind I'm curious to know, if your feel problem is more with the content of the review or the number he put at the end?  Would you feel any better if the content was the same but he gave it a 6.5? 

That being said, if it becomes clear through the content of this (or any other) review that the reviewer's perspective and priorities are not well aligned with your own, then there may be no merit for you in that particular review, and that is fine.

It doesn't necessarily make him predjudiced, biased or a joke, it just means he thinks differently from you.

Well I honestly feel that if someone is trying to give a fair and honest review, then they would actually try not to skip the cutscenes and pay attention to the story.  It sounds like he couldn't care less about the story yet he gives a score on the story in the end anyways.  

How can someone look at "The Bad" and see "unskippable cutscenes" and not see a problem with that?  If he is honestly reviewing the game and could actually skip the cutscenes, then how can anyone trust any further reviews from this guy knowning that he will skip cutscenes if he could?

If he would have given the game an 8/10 I would have still called him out on it.  

platformmaster918 said:
That was an awful lot of writing to come to a trollish conclusion. I'm a tough grader but 5/10 is way too low. Only if you count TWD, every Gears, Alan Wake, and Heavy Rain could you unbiasedly count it that low. If you're willing to admit that I'll agree

Not saying I agree with OP's review because I haven't played The Order, but I don't see why he would need to compare it to that diverse arrange of games to come to a 5/10 conclusion. Especially when Heavy Rain, Alan Wake or TWD are radically different from The Order, and Gears of War only share the third-person shooting aspect. (I guess AW too, uh).

Around the Network

All this review shows is that it just isn't your type of game. The fact that you were annoyed that you couldn't skip the cutscenes says it all really.

I was entertained through out the whole game , and it's biggest flaw is that there isn't enough of the good stuff. But that doesn't make the game bad, it just hade much more potential.

That's why in my opinion a game like this just can't score that low, because there is nothing broken. No game breaking bugs, no terrible gameplay mechanics. Just a good enjoyable experience that sometimes might feel to much like a cinematic experience. But for me that actually felt like a interesting change of pace.

I'd rather have to many cutscenes but care about the story and characters, then running around and maybe not even finish a game because i just don't care how it ends. (Like with Assassin's Creed: Unity).

Ka-pi96 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

All this review shows is that it just isn't your type of game. The fact that you were annoyed that you couldn't skip the cutscenes says it all really.

I was entertained through out the whole game , and it's biggest flaw is that there isn't enough of the good stuff. But that doesn't make the game bad, it just hade much more potential.

That's why in my opinion a game like this just can't score that low, because there is nothing broken. No game breaking bugs, no terrible gameplay mechanics. Just a good enjoyable experience that sometimes might feel to much like a cinematic experience. But for me that actually felt like a interesting change of pace.

I'd rather have to many cutscenes but care about the story and characters, then running around and maybe not even finish a game because i just don't care how it ends. (Like with Assassin's Creed: Unity).

Agreed. I don't get people that want to skip all the cutscenes. Why even play story focused games if you're gonna do that?

Perhaps not in this case but generally if you are going to replay a game to find some hidden gems or to play different story decisions for alternate endings, it would be nice to skip the parts you already know.

Ka-pi96 said:
walsufnir said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Agreed. I don't get people that want to skip all the cutscenes. Why even play story focused games if you're gonna do that?

Perhaps not in this case but generally if you are going to replay a game to find some hidden gems or to play different story decisions for alternate endings, it would be nice to skip the parts you already know.

I can agree on that, but on your first playthrough?

Oh and the OP gave a replay score of 0, so doesn't seem likely that they'd be playing through it again and needing to skip any cutscenes either.

If you are actually interested in the story, then of course. But I don't know why devs don't even give the option to skip the cutscenes.

But the more I think of it, the more I believe it's technical reasons. The game is constantly doing "stuff" during the cutscenes, they are essentially part of the game on a technical side. So I guess that the game loads assets constantly and especially at the end of a cutscene they load assets to the gameplay part that is to come, thus reducing load times (which are close to non-existent in this game). If you would skip, the game would bother you with a "please stand by while loading"-screen.

is this op's review? i don't think so.

Add me if u want :)

There's something worse than unskippable cutscenes, though. Unstoppable cutscenes. Especially because I often find myself having to pause during a cutscene, and if Dashboard button do not stop it, I fear that pressing Start will skip it entirely.