By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - An Unprejudiced Review: The Order 1886

Tagged games:

binary solo said:
Is "Unbiased" in the thread title deliberately ironic? It's not possible to put value judgements in a game review without it being biased. Or is unbiased a claim of not having a particular company/platform axe to grind which could be used as an accusation to claim you over/under scored the game because you hate/love Sony/MS/Nintendo/PS4/Xb one/Wii U/3DS/Vita/PC/Ouya/Acti/Ubi/EA/Capcom/SE... too much?

Neither. An Unbiased Review is the name of one of the gaming reviewer groups in VGC.

Around the Network
Wright said:
binary solo said:
Is "Unbiased" in the thread title deliberately ironic? It's not possible to put value judgements in a game review without it being biased. Or is unbiased a claim of not having a particular company/platform axe to grind which could be used as an accusation to claim you over/under scored the game because you hate/love Sony/MS/Nintendo/PS4/Xb one/Wii U/3DS/Vita/PC/Ouya/Acti/Ubi/EA/Capcom/SE... too much?

Neither. An Unbiased Review is the name of one of the gaming reviewer groups in VGC.

So it's meaningless then.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Gamer_of_the_Year said:

Unbiased my ass lol "Gears of Bore"

This game never aspired to be an insipid lazily written DudeBro soap opera shooter. To call this story generic and harp about Gears of War which is a validly mediocre game that got a 10 early in a console cycle because it was just the biggest thing released yet.

Graphics, story, atmosphere, and pretty much every techincial aspect The Order is a gaming masterpiece of the highest order. The gameplay is standard but fun as hell. Off with you.

Please quote where I reference Gears of War in terms of story? Also, idgaf what Gears scored and it's irrelevant unless I myself gave it one of those 10's you're referring to.

I, by the way, would have given Gears 1 at least a 9.0 just for that incredible MP :)

And you're at least right about one thing, on a technical level this game is great. Which is why my review says if you want a game to show off the graphics, this one is it. If you're wanting a good game though, imho look elsewhere.

Though speaking about it's technical prowess now, I am reminded of some things I forgot in the review, like stupid fucking NPC's standing in the one open window you have to shoot out of in a warehouse yard scene, or one of your Order brethren taking for fucking ever to move into position to open a door you're sitting there waiting for them to open so that the story can progress. They should patch in a "get out of the fucking way!!!" button prompt or a "open the door myself" QTE.

Gamer_of_the_Year said:

Unbiased my ass lol "Gears of Bore"

This game never aspired to be an insipid lazily written DudeBro soap opera shooter. To call this story generic and harp about Gears of War which is a validly mediocre game that got a 10 early in a console cycle because it was just the biggest thing released yet.

Graphics, story, atmosphere, and pretty much every techincial aspect The Order is a gaming masterpiece of the highest order. The gameplay is standard but fun as hell. Off with you.

He never said the story of Gears wasn't generic. But Gears wasn't trying to have a deep story as its selling point. It was trying to have good, damn near revolutionary, gameplay mechanics as its selling point, which it had.

The Order was selling itself solely on its compelling narrative, only its story sucked. It had absolutely no character developement aside from Gallahad, which infamously went absolutely no where, it had terrible pacing throughout in narrative as well as gameplay, the story had absolutely no direction whatso ever with key plot threads dropped inconsequently, and then it had the audacity to end the way it did. It wasn't even a "technical master piece," as it didn't run at 60fps, even at 900p with "filmic" black bars.

I don't think that "generic" was the right choice of word, but it definitely wasn't good. The gameplay was only "fun as hell" if you consider wack-a-mole to be the pinacle of gaming. Uncharted's gameplay is standard. The Order's was poor. Just because it works, doesn't mean it's shandard.

Wright said:
binary solo said:

Groups? I thought JayWood was the only one running that :O

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Wright said:

Groups? I thought JayWood was the only one running that :O

He's the headmaster, yeah, but it is still a group. There's more than one single person doing reviews to the An Unbiased Review!

I wonder if you would rate something less than 5 Ludicrous if you found it even less enjoyable. The game is inherently flawed, some people liked it and I'm personally intriguied, but the review is very negative in its description of everything about the game.

I wonder what you would say about yourself if you found yourself enjoying a campy game or movie...

.- -... -.-. -..

PieToast said:

I wonder what you would say about yourself if you found yourself enjoying a campy game or movie...

You know, Pie, come over my house. We both can enjoy campy games together. :P

Man this game just has so many people fighting one way or another.

To bad the game isn't longer so that those that enjoyed it would still be playing it and not scouring the internet defending it.

Wright said:
PieToast said:

You know, Pie, come over my house. We both can enjoy campy games together. :P

I'm playing Cathrine now, but I'm just gonna be really embarrassed when the booth guy asks me all those awkward questions while you're sitting next to me...

.- -... -.-. -..