By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo still doesn't have a trophy/achievement system to their games in 2015?

Predict When Ninty will bring trophies:

2016-2017, after their next consoles arrive. 60 22.73%

2025, better late. 17 6.44%

Nevah! 101 38.26%

Idc for this BS. (dont lie to yourself) 86 32.58%

Total:264
Euphoria14 said:
b00moscone said:
Euphoria14 said:

On PS4 and XBox One you can post pictures direct to your Facebook or great video moments to Youtube.

I never said Xbox One and PS4 didn't have those features, the point i was trying to make is that Miiverse sort of covers his complaint that he can't share the best moments on games on the Wii U, but on the Youtube note Nintendo will never let that through due to their new Youtube program and the fact they often remove videos on their games.

Understood.

Still would be nice if they implemented achievements though. Maybe even tie them to the new Club Nintendo they are creating.

Yeah, i see what you're saying. It doesn't have to be trophies, just a simple acheivement system, and if by tieing it it with the new Club Nintendo you mean that the acheivments you can get can be built up to buy things on that, then that sounds amazing.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network

It would be nice to have these things, but is not essential for games. Since it costs money to implement these new features, Nintendo probably doesn't see the need to have them.. They do have in game achievements though

My guess is that they will release achievements for the next home console, when they unify games and NNIDs better.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

sethnintendo said:
dangerguy said:

For me personally, I still feel the same excitement and accomplishment I did back in 2005 when that achievement pops up.

Do you feel accomplishment for getting an achievement for beating a level one boss?

Obviously some achievements are mundane, but regardless of how insignificant they are, I'll forever have that time-stamp and documentation of what I did and there's no denying that's a special part of the gaming experience.

I can look back and see that I finally got that "Pull Harder" (Killed an ejecting Pilot with the Plasma Railgun) achievement on Titanfall on May 15, 2014. I can look and see that I beat Mass Effect 2 (Mission Accomplished Achievement) on March 7, 2010. Oh nice, here's one - "Partner up and complete every mission in Co-op mode" on Crackdown - Got that achievement May 12, 2007!

Pretty awesome that almost 10 years' worth of my gaming on Xbox has been documented.

Acheivements/Trophies are rendered completely unnecessary on WiiU by the simple fact that Miiverse allows you to post screenshots and captions of whatever you think are your in game accomplishments worthy of highlighting to your fellow gamers. I don't need to kill 1,000 zombies with a flathead screwdriver, or score a triple double with every player on the Brooklyn Nets to know that I enjoyed playing my game. The way Nintendo does it makes far more sense to me. Take New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World, for example. You get a shiny gold star for each actual accomplishment you did (Completing the story mode, finding all secret exits, finding all star coins, etc). You don't have to wander around in the game aimlessly to arbitrarily stomp 750 Goombas only using the ground pound technique for Nintendo to congratulate you on enjoying their game. The need of "gamers" to accomplish pointless tasks that have little to nothing to do with actually enjoying playing/completing the game in order to pump up their Gamerscore or trophy case is beyond me. You can be a completionist (spelling?) without needing the publisher telling you how many things to do in order to then tell you that you enjoyed the game to its fullest.

Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:
Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:

I'm different where I complete games that I enjoy and want to complete, and finish a game when I reached the end. If there is more to complete in a game, and I don't care much for it, then I will pass it, but I don't really like a system that reminds me that I didn't complete a game and gives me a percentage on it.

The average gamer is not like that and it doesn't change the fact a lot of nintendo fans would like a system like that.  That's my point.

I think you are overgeneralizing this. Where do you base your claims on this comment? Many Ninten fans seems to oppose it as well, including me. Many of the comments from fans on this thread seem to be against that too, the comment about achievement and trophies being a good thing seems to be more from people who don't primarily plan on Ninten consoles.

Because it's something that appeals to a certain percentage of gamers.  It doesn't hurt you to have then unless you got OCD or something like that.  The benefits are purely for those who would appreciate them.  And Nintendo will gain a little extra cash.  

Btw by you i mean you plural not you in particular. 

I can get OCD with achievements and trophies, so I'd perfer them to not in games. I'll concede that there is a percentage that would enjoy it, but I think you are putting more value in this system than people may think it is.

I know you mean plural also, but I am one of those fans, but I had to share that I disagree as one of them.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
I don't think even Nintendo knows why they do or don't do anything :p

It's definitely a feature they should work on. My personal interest in them is pretty limited, but I've always thought it was a great feature. I've seen hundreds of people on PSN, XBL and Steam that enjoy collecting achievements, while only a handful that actively dislike them. Those that don't care either way just ignore them. Seems like a win-win in my books.

Yeah, of everything people say Nintnedo needs I doubt a trophy system would be in the top 5 things most people would say. 

Cloudman said:
Kerotan said:

Because it's something that appeals to a certain percentage of gamers.  It doesn't hurt you to have then unless you got OCD or something like that.  The benefits are purely for those who would appreciate them.  And Nintendo will gain a little extra cash.  

Btw by you i mean you plural not you in particular. 

I can get OCD with achievements and trophies, so I'd perfer them to not in games. I'll concede that there is a percentage that would enjoy it, but I think you are putting more value in this system than people may think it is.

I know you mean plural also, but I am one of those fans, but I had to share that I disagree as one of them.

That's fair enough but the number of people who would like them would outnumber the number who would actually be put off gaming because of them. Obviously the number that doesn't care for outweighs both. 

Why? Because a majority of Nintendo owners/fans have not demanded them. A lot of Nintendo gamers (and believe it or not, gamers in general) simply don't care that much about achievements. If people demanded it enough, it would happen eventually.

Achievements and little things to go for like that can be nifty additions. But not every game needs them.

RolStoppable said:
Because then people would complain that it's too hard to get the equivalent of 1,000 Gamerscore/Platinum Trophy.

If you need achievements in every game you play, you should think about why you are even playing games in the first place. You are pretty much saying that you wouldn't be a gamer if there weren't any achievements.

I'm some one who likes trophies enough to belong to vgchartz trophy league , I didn't  join from a competitive standpoint , since  I don't go out of my way to complete them once I finish a game , I like to use it to see what others are playing and their thoughts also it's a good place to help or to be helped with games.

Some people take it to extremes most don't, then again that happens with most things, like those who play say fighting games for fun and just to unlock each character and their story arc  , as opposed to those who look at fighting games in terms of the number of frames between each animation , you will always get people taking things to the nth degree it doesn't mean that either isn't getting enjoyment out of the game.

I think most people where gamers long before achievments came along and see them as just a nice addition ,  I play on all the main gaming systems so them being there or not doesn't worry me , I like to use them to look back they can give you a nice reference point to your gaming .

To me the problem isn't achievements but the fact that you don't get a choice about there  use if Nintendo does go for their own version of achievements I would like to see every game having an on off option.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Blob said:
an achievement system would sell more games on their console bringing in more money. the only people who think it would be a bad idea are those who personally don't like achievements. the reality is it's just another missing feature that the other consoles have putting nintendo behind.

wouldnt call it the glorious be all and end all though lol

It's not a missing feature.