By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo still doesn't have a trophy/achievement system to their games in 2015?

Predict When Ninty will bring trophies:

2016-2017, after their next consoles arrive. 60 22.73%

2025, better late. 17 6.44%

Nevah! 101 38.26%

Idc for this BS. (dont lie to yourself) 86 32.58%

Total:264
Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:
Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:
Kerotan said:
Blob said:
an achievement system would sell more games on their console bringing in more money. the only people who think it would be a bad idea are those who personally don't like achievements. the reality is it's just another missing feature that the other consoles have putting nintendo behind.

wouldnt call it the glorious be all and end all though lol

pretty much this. it's not a big deal on it's own but when added with all the other missing features it is. Many people will say they don't care and don't need it but if Nintendo launch them with their next console many of these same people will love them and realisewhat they were missing out on. If you have gotten a few platinums on pS3 but you also love gaming on nintendo you'd know how sweet it would be platinuming some of nintendos best games like mario, zelda etc. 

I feel I can answer this, as I play majorly on Ninten consoles and got a PS3 at a later time. I did enjoy getting plats for awhile, but that joy slowly went away and became a chore. I suffered burn out and haven't gotten back to my PS3 since the last game I plat. Even seeing what some of the requirements are for colmpleting certain challenges turn me away from games I would otherwise possibly give a chance.

I never did think about getting plats on Ninten's games, nor did I want any. I just thought about how great the games were and how much I wanted to finish them. I've completed their games not for trophies but because the game was so enjoyable I wanted to complete it. The joy of the game were far more important than collecting trophies to reach a certain quota. Maybe others may agree with you, but I just had to throw in my 2 cents on this comment.

That's even worse than the people who buy games just for plats.  They are clearly not for you so instead of just ignoring them you did something you didn't like and now you just ignore games on a system you bought.  Forgive me but that's crazy. 

Usually when something like a trophy system is introduced to me, I feel the need to complete them, and when every game has that, it makes me want to complete it, but I can't do that due to time, so it's a little off putting. It starts to feel like work rather than playing the game for fun, so I just lose interest. It be better for me if they just didn't exist and I just play the game for what it is, but they are there and I can't forget them, which kind of dampens the whole experience.

You are doing gaming wrong my friend! I'd still play all the same games if they didn't exist.  But games I really enjoy playing like gta 5 and payday 2 or even ngs2 and mgs3 I get the platinum platinums for them. 

I'm different where I complete games that I enjoy and want to complete, and finish a game when I reached the end. If there is more to complete in a game, and I don't care much for it, then I will pass it, but I don't really like a system that reminds me that I didn't complete a game and gives me a percentage on it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

If it was actual achievements I would enjoy them.. but for most part it's just something you get when you progress in the game without doing anything special.

Achievements belong back in 2005 - as the fad that deserved to die. They are easy to come across and run off your skin like water, why? Because they are generally superficial and nothing worth noting either way, hence contradicting the meaning of the word's nature itself. Developers are not the ones to try and decide what moments are memorable in a game; that's up to the individual player with his/her perspective hopefully unrestrained by previous clichés.

The only thing they have managed to do so far is distort a serie of semantics.

It was a missed opportunity on Nintendo's part to not include a trophy/achievement system in the Wii U or 3DS. I can understand some people not liking this type of system, but if they were to provide an option to turn off trophy notifications, like on Playstation systems, then you wouldn't have to worry about it. I, along with many others, find that trophies & achievements add additional value to the gaming experience.

I'll begrudgingly admit that achievements can be fun - I particularly like the new-ish achievement system when it comes to Android games. That said... it's highly doubtful anyone considers achievements when making a purchase on a game or system.

As many others stated Nintendo and third parties have experimented with stamps and various achievement posts on Mii-verse (i.e. Batman Arkham Origins, Deus Ex). I actually think this method is more affective form of achievement - you're automatically sharing your cool deeds out to the world as it happens for people to comment on and such. It does need to have wider implementation though.

Arkham achievement!

Cap Toad achievement!

run away! 

Around the Network

Basically there are two crowds here: those who understand that new features cost money, and time to produce and those who don't. Why would Nintendo waste R&D resources on achievements, when they have plenty of other things they can put the resources into which will more obviously translate into revenue? Anyway, I honestly couldn't care any less about achievements/trophies. I didn't care about them when I played PS360 games and had active online accounts, and I don't care about their presence on Steam (and other services) with my PC games. The NIntendo games that do benefit from rewards have them do useful things (you can unlock content with them) - see: Metroid Prime 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Wow, lots of achievement/trophy haters in here.

Totally fine to have your opinions, but there are plenty of people that love achievements and play for them. For me personally, I still feel the same excitement and accomplishment I did back in 2005 when that achievement pops up.

And yes, Nintendo is missing the boat, behind the times, just like they are on so many other fronts. Maybe Nintendo will add achievements after they add party chat.

Cloudman said:
Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:

Usually when something like a trophy system is introduced to me, I feel the need to complete them, and when every game has that, it makes me want to complete it, but I can't do that due to time, so it's a little off putting. It starts to feel like work rather than playing the game for fun, so I just lose interest. It be better for me if they just didn't exist and I just play the game for what it is, but they are there and I can't forget them, which kind of dampens the whole experience.

You are doing gaming wrong my friend! I'd still play all the same games if they didn't exist.  But games I really enjoy playing like gta 5 and payday 2 or even ngs2 and mgs3 I get the platinum platinums for them. 

I'm different where I complete games that I enjoy and want to complete, and finish a game when I reached the end. If there is more to complete in a game, and I don't care much for it, then I will pass it, but I don't really like a system that reminds me that I didn't complete a game and gives me a percentage on it.

The average gamer is not like that and it doesn't change the fact a lot of nintendo fans would like a system like that.  That's my point.

I forgot about stamps for a while there. I wish they had stamps for more than just games made by Nintendo. But I don't need them and I especially don't need achievements or trophies. I either beat the game or I don't... it's that simple.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:
Kerotan said:
Cloudman said:

The average gamer is not like that and it doesn't change the fact a lot of nintendo fans would like a system like that.  That's my point.

I think you are overgeneralizing this. Where do you base your claims on this comment? Many Ninten fans seems to oppose it as well, including me. Many of the comments from fans on this thread seem to be against that too, the comment about achievement and trophies being a good thing seems to be more from people who don't primarily plan on Ninten consoles.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread