By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo still doesn't have a trophy/achievement system to their games in 2015?

Predict When Ninty will bring trophies:

2016-2017, after their next consoles arrive. 60 22.73%

2025, better late. 17 6.44%

Nevah! 101 38.26%

Idc for this BS. (dont lie to yourself) 86 32.58%

Total:264
mysteryman said:
Achievements are in the games that actually benefit from them.

Global achievements only serve to lessen the meaning of the word, and represent everything that is wrong with today's youth.

Well that is some catastrophic vision to have. Options are great and people can disable them if they want. But I rest my case then, if Nintendo fans apparently don't want it, then it's never coming. On the other hand, when PS fans complained about it, they had like 1 year and half later or something.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network

Do Nintendo fans and consumers care about achievements?
On Miiverse there´s very little to no arguments about that. It seems that most people really don´t care about them. And they wouldn´t help sales anyway.
As for recording progress or achievements, a single Miiverse screenshot do the trick

As a Playstation gamer, who does sometimes go out of his way to get trophies (just because they are there), because they are pointless. They don't need them, their games and the gameplay speak for themselves and don't need some superficial stat to make people replay their games.

Hmm, pie.

How is it catastrophic? Can't you tell the qualitative difference between completing Donkey Kong 101%, getting all 120 stars in Mario 64 and getting an achievement for "playing on hard mode 450 times"?

Why would I care to share my gaming activity? Do we have to turn everything into a facebook kind of life-style? If I really care about showing someone what I have achieved in a game, I can still tell them about it instead of advertising my exploits online. Sorry, but I am not interested in the new-wave 'social' aspects of gaming that have been introduced. Achievements offer nothing over the previous systems of awarding gamers for playing a game (in the form of in-game rewards, unlockable levels, completion rates, etc). There is no reason to shoehorn yet another form of extending the game time arbitrarily. I prefer my games to have content and substance, not shiny things.

I personally think it's the stupidest most useless invention of the last decade, but I don't care if it's there either way. I also don't think it would sell a single extra console if they did have it. Realistically they don't have it, or at least in the 'traditional' sense, because Nintendo stubbornly does everything their own way. For better or for worse. Lastly, you say 'gimmicky attempt', but if anything is inherently a giant gimmick by definition, it's PS/XBox/Steam-style achievements.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Cause I dont think most gamers on the wiiU care and also, they do have something like it, its called stamps

^This. And they're pretty awesome when posting on Miiverse. I ask people all the time how they get certain stamps. 

this. been saying all along that Nintendo has something called stamp collection. which you can complete and overall completeness of the game. but not all games have it.  so if they could somehow make use of stamp/trophy for other games that would be great. 

PS trophies are achievable if you do something and not physical finding a trophy in a game.  the stamp collection can be used in this feature too. i.e. JRPG game when you go to the next level you can get a stamp automatically since you've just completed the last level. and the final stamp is once you completed the game. 

Because they're stupid and pointless. Trophies I mean, not Nintendo. I just find them immersion-breaking and ridiculous. The way they've added them to the Metroid Prime Trilogy just annoys me.

When I got my Xbox 260, the first 2/3 months I thought achievements were pretty cool. Then I realised that:

a) They are pointless. There is no use for gamerscore, it's just a pointless number. I would have liked it better if they could be used to purchase stuff for your avatar or something. Make them somewhat worthwhile at least.

b) They are meaningless. A gamerscore has no meaning. Certain games are very easy to 1000/1000 while others have very hard achievements. Therefore a console wide system of cumulative points has no meaning/value in relation to a person's skill or 'achievements'

c) Many games had lazy and uninspired achievements, or they were a chore (collect all flags in Assasins Creed for example) I know people who played just to 'hunt achievements'. They didn't even enjoy playing half the time. It kind of defeats the purpose of playing games.

d) I don't need to share my achievements with others. I don't even want to. As Helloplite mentioned: If I really care about an achievement of mine I'll just tell it to people.

I'm not opposed to the concept of achievements or challenges in game. And I wouldn't care if Nintendo does implement such a system. But I just don't see the point of an overarching system. If devs think it can add something to the game they can always implement such a system. Smash Bros for example has a challenges system which is fun. Completing them also unlock bits of content (trophy, stage..) which is a nice touch. I like them much better when integrated in the game itself.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Much agreed with  Curmudgeon. Real in-game content and unlockables > arbitrary achievements/trophies for social consumption. It seems people these days prefer style over substance.

Because just like with their online system, account system and several other aspects, they still think it's 2004.