By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most Wanted Features on Next Nintendo Console

In addition to Cross Buy and NO Region Locking, I'd like to see a unified Console/Handheld experience. I don't know how this would work or why it would work but maybe a home console and handheld that both have the exact same game library, albeit the handheld won't look as good. Or maybe the console plays the handheld games or something. Who knows, Nintendo will think of something cool I hope.

Around the Network

- Region-Free

- Cross buy for Virtual Console

- No-gimmick controller like pro controller

- Ethernet Port

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

It will be interesting to have a console you could theoretically put into your pocket. Not saying it's something I'm dying to have but if Nintendo is going the unified approach, it's something they can do. 

The PSTV is tiny, and the scary thing is it actually could be smaller than that because it's using the fatter OG Vita chip, not the newer Vita slim chip:

The other advantage of probably using handheld components is very fast start up times and instant sleep/awake modes. 

Oh yeah and USB 3.0 ports (faster) would be a nice add while we're asking for things. 

shikamaru317 said:
zorg1000 said:

That's because it was a bullshit,  made up leak

It's likely, but the point remains. Nintendo could theoretically have both a console and a handheld with different hardware instead of shared hardware, and still maintain the Fusion philosophy. The handheld could play the same games as the console but with significantly downgraded graphics and resolution. Development would be fairly challenging and mainly 1st and 2nd party developers would attempt it, but if Fusion is just a tablet that let's you play games on your tv over wi-fi, it's not going to attract 3rd party developers anyway since the specs of a handheld would hold back PS5, Xbox 4, and PC far too much. But, if they give the Fusion terminal it's own hardware that's closer in specs to the PS5, Xbox 4, and PC, while also using the same x86 architecture, Nintendo should at least get some 3rd party multiplat support.

The point of the unified platforms is so that Nintendo can be more self-reliant without facing software droughts, also having all games on either device ensures that the console will get all the Japanese 3rd party support that their handhelds recieve. That along with Nintendo's continued support of indies will give them a strong software library.

Even if Nintendo goes all out on trying to get the AAA western market, they likely won't succeed so they will try their best to maintain strong support without them. Nintendo 1st parties+Japanese 3rd parties+western indies will be the main software focus, any potential support from the likes of EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros is welcome but not the main focus.

Basically in terms of hardware, I expect to see something like this

Handheld-moderate boost over Vita that can handle Wii U level visuals on a small screen and lower resolution. Similar to the difference between PSP-3DS-Wii.

Console-slight upgrade over Wii U that can produce Wii U level visuals at a higher resolution with some extra effects. Similar to the difference between GC-Wii.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I actually hope they don't add a trophy/achievement feature, as this is the thing that ended up turning me away from my PS3 as well as not trying new games outside my usual standard choices. After the last game I plated, I felt burn out from doing this a couple times and just stopped. And I don't want to jump into a game with insane plats. I can't be playing a certain game forever... I don't want to see that on Ninten either.

Region Free and cross buy would be good though : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
spemanig said:
JayWood2010 said:

Docking Station

You realise how entiquated that would be, right? A console doesn't need a physical dock to play handheld games in this decade. Imagine if the iphone had to be docked to your macbook to listen to itunes on your laptop. That's literally what you're asking for by wanting a "docking station."

Docking station pretty much turns your notebook into a desktop.  Essentially this would turn a handheld into a home console.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnezqFu6crU

For Nintendo's next console, I would like to see them expand upon the Wii U. However, I would like to see more developer friendly architecture. I would like to see the virtual console software and all the current controller hardware transfer over. I would like it to be a stronger cpu/gpu which would be able to use 2-4 gamepads and run 1080p @ 60fps easily. I would also like to see a much bigger solid state harddrive (1 terabyte should do it) and an ethernet port. The Miiverse should continue on along with the eShop (where are all the gamecube games?). I would like online play to continue to be free and do not want the addition of any trophy/achievement system. Oh, and if they'd ditch the region-locking, that'd be great.

Charge me whatever you want for the awesome and I will pay it.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

zorg1000 said:
shikamaru317 said:

It's likely, but the point remains. Nintendo could theoretically have both a console and a handheld with different hardware instead of shared hardware, and still maintain the Fusion philosophy. The handheld could play the same games as the console but with significantly downgraded graphics and resolution. Development would be fairly challenging and mainly 1st and 2nd party developers would attempt it, but if Fusion is just a tablet that let's you play games on your tv over wi-fi, it's not going to attract 3rd party developers anyway since the specs of a handheld would hold back PS5, Xbox 4, and PC far too much. But, if they give the Fusion terminal it's own hardware that's closer in specs to the PS5, Xbox 4, and PC, while also using the same x86 architecture, Nintendo should at least get some 3rd party multiplat support.

The point of the unified platforms is so that Nintendo can be more self-reliant without facing software droughts, also having all games on either device ensures that the console will get all the Japanese 3rd party support that their handhelds recieve. That along with Nintendo's continued support of indies will give them a strong software library.

Even if Nintendo goes all out on trying to get the AAA western market, they likely won't succeed so they will try their best to maintain strong support without them. Nintendo 1st parties+Japanese 3rd parties+western indies will be the main software focus, any potential support from the likes of EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros is welcome but not the main focus.

Basically in terms of hardware, I expect to see something like this

Handheld-moderate boost over Vita that can handle Wii U level visuals on a small screen and lower resolution. Similar to the difference between PSP-3DS-Wii.

Console-slight upgrade over Wii U that can produce Wii U level visuals at a higher resolution with some extra effects. Similar to the difference between GC-Wii.

I think Vita+ is setting the bar pretty low for the handheld. 

Last years old iPhone 5s chip (something Nintendo could have for peanuts now) significantly outperforms a Vita. 

I think the handheld will be more powerful than the Nintendo norm, because it will be the first Nintendo handheld designed to play *all* Nintendo games, not just the watered down portable spin-offs.  It will have to be able to run things like Mario Galaxy 3 (theoretically) or the next 3D Zelda and Metroid adventures without handcuffing the designers and forcing them to make a ton of compromises. So that has to factor into its design. 

So I think the handheld being on par with the Wii U (maybe even ahead in certain areas like more modern lighting/shader effects and more RAM) makes more sense IMO. 

I suspect Nintendo also wants to be able to port Wii U engines/games to the portable side without the headaches they encounter today, so cheaping out on the chip really isn't benfitting them much.

They maybe have to drop stuff like the 3D screen and dual screen setup for something more functionally cheaper though. The screen is what's expensive on handhelds anyway ... not the chip. 

Pretty much everything PS4/Xone offer right now such as
System:
----remote play
----Cross Buy
----Cross Save
----Voicechat( in all games and ALWYAYS)
----Video Chat

----Some sort of Snap functionality
----Shareplay
----Being able to make Screenshots
----Being able to make Videos
----Editing Software
----Social Interaction (Like FB, YT, Twitch and whatever might be popular in 2017)
----Apps....at least offer some cool ones

----Proper Account system
----Proper friend System
----Some sort of subscription(optional or mandatory I don´t care!)

----match making in games
----Video chat
----Streaming in general (build in a friggin proper wifi...not the BS you find on a junkyard)

Hardware:
----Hardware that is almost as powerful as PS5/Xbox2-720 if Nintendo releases new Hardware 2-3 years before Sony/MS else it has to be equal to PS5/Xbox2-720
----Common architecture
----NO BACKWARS COMPABILITY unless its emulation! (Seriously nobody gives a fuck about BC....and those who do have the old console)
----NO crappy gimmick HARDWARE! you can´t really change hardware down the line. So have your gimmicks in Software
----Not 1 TB of a harddrive space...by then (I assume 2017/2018) it has to be at LEAST 2 TB (MS/Sony will prolly have 1-2 TB as a standard)
----Build on the Pro Controller!
----TALK TO THIRD PARTY ABOUT HARDWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are the minimum requirements I have towards Nintendos next gen console as those are the standards Sony/MS set this gen (and this gen is still in its early years...no way to tell whats coming in 2-5 years). So Nintendo needs to match the above stuff (plus 3rd Party support) and add new things I didn´t know I wanted till they showed me(like that whole sharing thing..I love it!).

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
JayWood2010 said:

Docking station pretty much turns your notebook into a desktop.  Essentially this would turn a handheld into a home console.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnezqFu6crU

Right, or they could just let you play your handheld games on your console through a unified acount like they've been alluding to and like what would actually make sense in this decade lol.