By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most Wanted Features on Next Nintendo Console

spemanig said:
JayWood2010 said:

Im not sure why you keep saying in this decade.  I work in technology and docking stations are viable and popular in todays world right now and we purchase them for every employee who gets a notebook which is the majority.

Basically it would bypass a unified account and make a unified console by making an ultra-powered handheld that you can dock to play on your tv with a regular controller like a regular home console.

The Console/Hanheld hybrid is not the first time this has been talked abou, specially when talked about nintendot.  Will it happen?  Probably not, but people has talked about it before.  

This isnt about playing handheld games on your tv, but playing home console games on the go, or playing them on your couch. A Hybrid.  Think like, i can take my WiiU outside the house and play it.

In other words, it has nothing to do with 3DS or Nintendo's handhelds

Around the Network

I find the unified platform theory pretty interesting just from a logistics POV, not so much my own personal tastes. 

Imagine though a Nintendo SoC processor similar to Apple's AX line of processors (CPU + GPU system on chip):

They're tiny. That's the A6 there, but the A8 isn about the same size (the one in the iPhone 6/6 Plus). 60% of the space inside an iPhone is actually the battery, the chipset is very small. 

Nintendo could have a SoC just like the one above (with a AMD GPU with Wii U like architecture touches rather than the PowerVR that Apple uses). 

1x of those processors for the handheld (roughly Wii U level power)

3x of those processors for the console, about the size a DS (microconsole size) could give you something that easily runs games at 1080p in the range of about 800 Gigaflops. Nice, cozy upgrade on the Wii U, small console size, very low power consumption, easy to scale games up and down to share on both platforms.

Will be pretty cool to see if they go this route. It would save them a ton of R&D money and avoid suppy chain gluts too. 

I haven't seen this brought up here, but it seems pretty relevant, and it's recent news. Here's Iwata's words on the new unified hardware division. Up until now, we were under the impression that only two software divisions were unified. To me, this information is extremely telling.

"Currently Nintendo has four development divisions and one of them is for hardware development. Years ago, there were two different hardware divisions – one for handheld devices and one for home consoles, with few personnel interactions. In fact, we had to use completely different technologies for handheld and home console development at that time. Technologies that were suitable for handheld devices or home consoles had nearly nothing in common, so it was reasonable to divide hardware development into two divisions. However, with recent technological advances, technologies for both systems are becoming more similar. Also, just because they are home consoles does not mean today that they can consume as much electricity as they possibly can. In fact, we have already been proactively working to reduce the consumption of electricity since the Wii era. Furthermore, the Wii U GamePad has a large screen, a battery pack, control inputs and wireless modules inside, so in technological terms, it required very similar know-how to that required for developing a handheld device. Based on such experiences, we had been working toward consolidating the two divisions for a while and started the process two years ago. Of course, it takes time for two divisions to completely assimilate, and we now are confident that it has progressed very well. Senior Managing Director, Mr. Takeda, is in charge of the hardware development division."

I want it to be:

Either completely power competitive with the other consoles, with a main stream controller without gimmicks weird finger twisting crap (basically the Pro Controller as the standard controller), and a strong thick launch (good games, many games, and continue to have good strong games for the first full year every month. This is necessary to justify a greater than $199 console.

OR a less than $199 console that captures the gaming and non-gaming audience like the Wii did (with perhaps a less crappy controller at the start [the wiimote motion controller were fairly weak until the pro version]). To be honest I don't think Nintendo can do this again, a Wii like console is probably not going to happen anytime soon if ever again. I would settle for a Nostalgia type console that focuses on being a virtual console for all the old games and some newer but not anywhere near top of the line the other two HD consoles will deliver.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

1. Console/Handheld fusion
2. Solid controller
3. Decent size HDD (500GB)

Around the Network

- account system
- achievement/trophy system
- no region locking
- built-in Ethernet port
- traditional controller

If I think of more I'll list them.

I think they probably will have some kind of gimmick/add to the controller, but nothing crazy or expensive like the Wii U. 

Maybe something akin to this ... a twisting controller 

Would be interesting for racing games or a Kirby game (twist to have Kirby suck in, twist the other way to have him blow out, etc.) or Luigi's Mansion game or even a Splatoon game (the more you twist the more ink you spray).

Could break apart to function like a Wiimote/nunchaku. Having pointer functionality would be important too, because if its a Fusion platform, the handheld has a touch screen ... the home versions could easily emulate touch features by having the pointer instead, so developers don't have to radically alter play mechanics or certain features. 

Yup i want their next system to be hybrid console and handled, and hoping it will not to powerful. and off course comes with the pro controller so i can play it also on my large screen. Some new AR feature maybe and also hybrid OS , unified library and virtual console.

Give me a Wii U that has enough power to handle four GamePads at once, and I'll be fine.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

please, cheap!
and i want all my controllers working on it.
more 8 player gzmes.

but if they just keep making good quality games, im buying anyway.