By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Younger "gamers" are hopeless for Nintendo.

Soundwave said:
Lets be honest ... Nintendo hasn't been "cool" since about 1992/93 when Sega began to outmarket them. That just continued in through the Sony/MS era. Aside from a few pockets here and there (N64 launch + having GoldenEye and Wii before it became old hat).

Is being cool something to be really worth it? in my point of view being professional and bring out quality games is the right way to do it. I dont see how a gaming company can be cooler then the other if it just targets another demographic. Cool doesnt exist, only the influence!

Around the Network

well, its not just nintendo.

97alexk said:
Soundwave said:
Lets be honest ... Nintendo hasn't been "cool" since about 1992/93 when Sega began to outmarket them. That just continued in through the Sony/MS era. Aside from a few pockets here and there (N64 launch + having GoldenEye and Wii before it became old hat).

Is being cool something to be really worth it? in my point of view being professional and bring out quality games is the right way to do it. I dont see how a gaming company can be cooler then the other if it just targets another demographic. Cool doesnt exist, only the influence!

Well not that I believe this even really applies to Nintendo anymore, since I personally don't think they will make another traditional console (handheld chips from here on out for Ninty) ... but is the difference between selling 20-million-ish consoles versus say 65-100 million worth it? 

From a pure business POV ... I'd say yes. 

I'd say this isn't a Nintendo problem, but gaming as a whole. Numbers here on VGC are deceiving. In reality, I've found nobody seems to care about any next-gen (or I guess current gen by now) at all. I know exactly one (1) person that owns a PS4, and he isn't very active with it it seems, and I myself own a WiiU. That's it. Even people I know had gaming systems in the past and were fairly into it just seem content with what they have (older systems, PC or, yes, mobile devices) or just don't care anymore either way and moved on to 'cooler' things. Young or old doesn't really matter.

Which is why I have my doubts about the longevity of the 8th gen.

S.Peelman said:
I'd say this isn't a Nintendo problem, but gaming as a whole. Numbers here on VGC are deceiving. In reality, I've found nobody seems to care about any next-gen (or I guess current gen by now) at all. I know exactly one (1) person that owns a PS4, and he isn't very active with it it seems, and I myself own a WiiU. That's it. Even people I know had gaming systems in the past and were fairly into it just seem content with what they have (older systems, PC or, yes, mobile devices) or just don't care anymore either way and moved on to 'cooler' things. Young or old doesn't really matter.

exactly

yes ps4 and xbox one are doing very well

but thats mostly with the main fans and then all the kids and teens who get one for Christmas

in reality this en will end quicker then last by probably 50%

so 4-5 years for ps4/one

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

LOL. I do think consoles are being challenged in a way that they haven't been in a very long time, but it is possible that the people you know just aren't very representative. That seems more likely than sales numbers being deceptive.

The problem is with nintendo not understanding that young gamers don't want to play games but watch then complain about them in forums.

.- -... -.-. -..

PieToast said:

The problem is with nintendo not understanding that young gamers don't want to play games but watch then complain about them in forums.

hey, maybe they are writing here when they are at school?  i write from work(if i dont play games at work) and atm im sitting in a General Students' Committee meeting.   some stupid idiot is talking about esoteric organic food, and i have to do something to not scream.

I'm not getting this OP. So you're saying one guy watching the animated parts of Nintendo's E3 videos because he likes it somehow makes him unaware of Nintendo's games?

E3 press conferences in general are pretty boring, or can be awkward. The fact that people actually watch the 'press conference' and Nintendo made it entertaining(and not the usual awkward entertainment involved with E3) seems like a win for Nintendo.

Besides the younger gamers are a generation of watchers, and seem quite content in watching more games than playing them. But considering games are more movie-like nowadays with little mixed up in the gameplay department, relying on proven gameplay formulas, or games as 'experiences', it makes more sense to just watch.

When I was a kid, we would game uphill both ways in the snow.