By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What happened to Project Spark?

Simple question really, at one of their conferences (can't remember which) and for a little while, Microsoft seemed to be getting behind Project Spark in a big way. And then what? They just let it go out to die? What happened with that? Was there something going on behind the scenes?

Around the Network

I'm not sure. I wasn't all that interested in it tho.

it lost its ''spark' and fizzled out D:

and idk, i thought it was out all ready,unless I'm thinking of something else

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I've been playing it a lot.

It released.

And that was pretty much it.

Came out at a bad time, early October, and MS didn't get behind it in any meaningful way.

Around the Network

They forgot the 360 version, and so I forgot about Project Spark altogether.

I wondered this myself.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I forgot that this game even existed, lol.

Anyways, I'm not sure. I guess the game came out, and people really didn't care. I don't think MS even said much about this game outside E3.

Maybe the game will get more attention when Conker comes out? I don't know.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

It released, which is something most people didn't know it seems, and according to this recent thread I read on Reddit, has had plenty of issues to do with performance (poor) and paymodel (restrictive):

"project spark wasn't dead on arrival, it was dead on beta.

The horrible paymodel is just crippling to the kind of game it is.

It also runs REALLY badly, even if there is nothing complex happening. A flat plane, and an item capped world run equally poorly"

"I love the game but I cant bring myself to play it because all the good stuff is locked behind expensive micro-transactions. I wanted to try make helms deep, Oh I guess not because the castle parts pack is like $15, Oh I'll make a wild west town then? nope, the desert terrain type is equally expensive.

Its a game that at its core is a fantastic but to me its ruined by its microtransaction system. I would have rather just payed $30 for the game and have everything then the current "free" system."

"I remember messing around with Project Spark on xbone release and again a couple months ago. The game ran at about 20 FPS constant and would regularly drop below that when you actually started placing anything interesting. Because of this, the "platforming" was awful and the combat was one button nonsense. I don't really understand why anyone would spend any time developing for something that was so poorly optimized. Instead of being a true "sandbox" it felt like Microsoft's gimped version of LittleBigPlanet."

Yeah it's funny really, it's just odd to see a game that was announced in such a way be completely left by the wayside by a first-party publisher like Microsoft.