By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What happened to Project Spark?

TheGoldenBoy said:
Now that's what you call a stealth release.

Yeah. Rare for a major title to slip completely by me. I assumed it was a 2015 release.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

It released, which is something most people didn't know it seems, and according to this recent thread I read on Reddit, has had plenty of issues to do with performance (poor) and paymodel (restrictive):

"project spark wasn't dead on arrival, it was dead on beta.

The horrible paymodel is just crippling to the kind of game it is.

It also runs REALLY badly, even if there is nothing complex happening. A flat plane, and an item capped world run equally poorly"

"I love the game but I cant bring myself to play it because all the good stuff is locked behind expensive micro-transactions. I wanted to try make helms deep, Oh I guess not because the castle parts pack is like $15, Oh I'll make a wild west town then? nope, the desert terrain type is equally expensive.

Its a game that at its core is a fantastic but to me its ruined by its microtransaction system. I would have rather just payed $30 for the game and have everything then the current "free" system."

"I remember messing around with Project Spark on xbone release and again a couple months ago. The game ran at about 20 FPS constant and would regularly drop below that when you actually started placing anything interesting. Because of this, the "platforming" was awful and the combat was one button nonsense. I don't really understand why anyone would spend any time developing for something that was so poorly optimized. Instead of being a true "sandbox" it felt like Microsoft's gimped version of LittleBigPlanet."

microtransaction pay model.  terrible performance. aweful gameplay.     well at least it is a better game than the order...

It is interesting to have seen the fate of this game when in the "our line up is better than yours" arguments Project Spark was on many an Xb fan's list as a game that will make the Xb one 2014 roster crap all over PS4's.

Seems like MS decided the finished product was not worth marketing but that it might appeal to those who have been following it closely so it was worth releasing to try to make some money back from it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

artur-fernand said:
JayWood2010 said:

As Tiago said, it was FTP.  The game itself actually has a very strong community from what I know.  But yeah, the beta was practiacally a release.  Just called a beta imo to hide the fact that everything wasnt available at launch.  As i said before, its similar to Killer Instinct in that regard where its continuously being worked on.  

But as you seen with KI, even though the game is praised to being one of the best fighters it got mixed reviews because it only had 6 characters at launch.  It it would have released with all 24 with a story in 2016 it would have recieved around a 90 in my opinion.

Just one of those things about releasing games when you know its not exactly finished. Slapping beta on it helps

What was the overral public reception of KI anyway? I've seen people on the internet asking for KI3 for years and when it finally came... it seems not a lot of people cared about it?

Did the free-to-play nature of the game killed it or something? Or is it popular and I just don't know about it?

you could never judge real world reception and hype from internet. If you could Castlevania would sell in the millions

IMHO Killer instinct was never that big even in its heyday it was still overshadowed by Mortal Kombat Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter etc

it really did fade out of existence. It didn't even have hype to not follow through on.

Around the Network
Areym said:
I had forgotten about its existence. I guess it failed to stir up the critics and fans like the original LBP did.

It has a 95 Meta and almost sold 6 million. How in the world is it either of that.

LOL at this thread ! Are you serious people ? Project Spark is a f2p download title that have a healthy community and gets every month a new content. It is a success

dobryser said:
LOL at this thread ! Are you serious people ? Project Spark is a f2p download title that have a healthy community and gets every month a new content. It is a success

I don't know if it's a success or not, but the thing is nobody knew it was out already. The game was announced at E3, you'd think a game that appeared in that show would get more atention at release.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
dobryser said:

Probably has something to do with the game was released in february of last year.  The "official" release was only a word.  And dobryser is right and the game is still releasing content on a regular basis and does have a strong community as I already mentioned

binary solo said:
It is interesting to have seen the fate of this game when in the "our line up is better than yours" arguments Project Spark was on many an Xb fan's list as a game that will make the Xb one 2014 roster crap all over PS4's.

Seems like MS decided the finished product was not worth marketing but that it might appeal to those who have been following it closely so it was worth releasing to try to make some money back from it.

Stop trying to start another console war -_-

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3