By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?

DestructorSVK said:
Wright said:

...but neither Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid IV and The Order are first-party games

I think that the game is 1st party as long as it's published by SCE so they Heavy Rain and The Order are 1st party, MGS IV is not.

Published games are precisely the reason why they're second party instead of third party.

As far as I know, Heavy Rain got entirely made by Quantic Dreams - a third-party studio - and published under SCE. So effectively, second-party game.

You could argue a game is first-party when SCE had something to do with the development, like the case of Bloodborne or Demon's Souls, on which SCEJ contributed to the game as well as From Software.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Sony first party games are still as good as ever. Reviewers may have changed and are now hating on everything all the time, but the games are far from disappointing. Killzone SF, Knack and Infamous SS were fantastic games!

This is exactly my opinion! 

teigaga said:
No actually this is very typical

Motostorm, Heavenly Rain, Lair, Folklore and even Uncharted 1. None of PS3's 2007 games were critically lauded. They've always been hit and miss. Microsoft and Nintendo have been more consistent then them, but have had far less original output.

This. Sony just happened to go on a bit of a run in the mid point of the PS3 which people seem to now expect is the norm. However even while all the awesome stuff like Uncharted 2, God of War 3 etc was happened, people just seem to have forgotten about the likes of Mod Nation Racers.

One thing is sure though, Sony take by far the most risks with their own published output.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

teigaga said:

Motostorm, Heavenly Rain, Lair, Folklore and even Uncharted 1. None of PS3's 2007 games were critically lauded. They've always been hit and miss. Microsoft and Nintendo have been more consistent then them, but have had far less original output.

Well said.

-Second Son wasnt dissapointing... it was actually better than i thought it would be.

-Driveclub had a bad lunch but now that its been fixed ive seen a lot of people (even in this forum) saying that they are enjoying the game, heck some people wanted the game to be re-reviewed because of how much they improved it.

Little Big Planet 3... i dont know what the problem was with this one, never even heard people complaining about it... but i did heard from some people who played the game that after it got a patch, it is now according to them the best LBP to date...

Around the Network
Wright said:

...but neither Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid IV and The Order are first-party games.

LBP1 wasn't 1st party either.

It's a poorly written article that used 3rd party and 2nd party games in its opening gambit about 1st party quality. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

teigaga said:

Motostorm, Heavenly Sword*, Lair, Folklore and even Uncharted 1. None of PS3's 2007 games were critically lauded. They've always been hit and miss. Microsoft and Nintendo have been more consistent then them, but have had far less original output.

True, Sony always tries new stuff, and sometimes that new stuff fails like last gen with Lair, Heavenly Sword, Haze and MAG, heck even Uncharted 1 didnt got the greatest metacritic scores, and this gen we have had some misses as well like The Order, (i wouldnt say Driveclub because despite the bad launch the game has been fixed and people seem to be enjoying it a lot).

the thing is Sony makes a LOT of new exclusive IPs every gen and some of them are a miss (like the ones i pointed out), but i like their commitment to making new IPs because sometimes we got some great new franchises, just looking back at the PS3 we got (just at the top of my head), Demons Souls, Uncharted, The Last of Us, LBP, Infamous, Resistance (not a big fan but it spawned three games), Motorstorm, Puppeter etc.

this is actually one of the reasons i like PS, beacuse they commit to bring new stuff every gen and i am the type of gamer that gets bored playing the same games every year, and i cant imagine myself playing nothing but the same exclusives every gen.

Vasto said:

Killzone: Shadow Fall was the first PS4 exclusive to let some people down.

It has long since been an industry truism: PlayStation first-party exclusives are very often a cut above.

However you view it, it’s a fact that scores have declined for the PlayStation first-party exclusive, and Sony might want to address the issue.

One thought on “What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?”

Starting debates like this and talking exclusives is fine just do it based on you own experience instead of copying some random editorials. You risk looking like a PC gamer who just want to put PS4 in a bad light.

Don't copy random editorials.

Really wish Sony could make 1st party Japanese games more than Western games.

Ka-pi96 said:
Sony first party games are still as good as ever. Reviewers may have changed and are now hating on everything all the time, but the games are far from disappointing. Killzone SF, Knack and Infamous SS were fantastic games!

They really weren't.

Infamous was good, but the other two? I know you love Knack, but even you should see that the game isn't all that great.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert