By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Has Happened to Sony’s First-Party Exclusives?

Nothing? Maybe if you say that what has happened to their review scores.

It might be because of my age but I would take anoth Order game over a MGS game.

I think if RAD release a new Order game that had the exact same game design, but different content, it would score higher. Why? Because most of the people that review it will have chosen to do so because they liked the first one, and therefore score it favourably.

The Order was thought to be a cover shooter, some people even said 'Gears of War' style gameplay, I don't know why, because RAD never claimed it would have. They are guilty of misrepresentation though, they should have clearly explained what type of game it is.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
mornelithe said:

This

They are 2nd party, funded by Sony and overseen by Sony.

Then the Title is wrong, now isn't it?

RealGamingExpert said:
baloofarsan said:
GTAexpert said:Metacritic scores aren't the best way to compare the quality of the games.

I have seen this lately but have not figured out a better way. What is the best way of comparing the quality of the games?

There is no better way. It's just a poor excuse. People might disagree with scores, but in general they do represent the quality of a game quite well.

no not really.  And some reviewers are more agreeable like Gametrailers on the Order.  This is why many are moving away from scores.  You have to see what they didn't like.  For instance the main complaints about the Order are that it's too linear and too short.  I don't play online MP so I can add a couple for all the ones that knock it for that, I think the length was ok so add a couple more, and finally I don't mind linearity as long as it is a means to a very focused story and game which it is in the Order's case.  Plenty of people who I've talked to have enjoyed it.  Sony is popular right now so you get a lot of expectations for them to justify those sales.  Reviewers seem to want something revolutionary from them every game and don't hold the others to that for some reason.  I have a WiiU and PS4 and enjoy the first party offerings equally so far.  Sure Sony has a little less since they've been out longer but comparing PS4's first year to WiiU's I would say they're even or favor PS4 and I see it catching up fast as I have The Order, Ratchet Reboot, and Uncharted 4 (plus you gotta factor in surprise announcements with quick turnarounds like LBP3 last year) at least compared to Zelda and Star Fox for WiiU.  Yet reviewers tell me I should be having more fun with my WiiU.  Yet I have just as much fun with either and the numbers on the internet don't appear to be changing that.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

They became cinematic

Because we live in a cheesy cyberpunk dystopia in the Internet where the over consumption of infomation has led us to communicate with memes and cynicism has become a constant theme in this generations first year so the overpopulated Internet has to talk about something even though history shows that the great and memorable games don't get released until the second or third year.

.- -... -.-. -..

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:

no not really.  And some reviewers are more agreeable like Gametrailers on the Order.  This is why many are moving away from scores.  You have to see what they didn't like.  For instance the main complaints about the Order are that it's too linear and too short.  I don't play online MP so I can add a couple for all the ones that knock it for that, I think the length was ok so add a couple more, and finally I don't mind linearity as long as it is a means to a very focused story and game which it is in the Order's case.  Plenty of people who I've talked to have enjoyed it.  Sony is popular right now so you get a lot of expectations for them to justify those sales.  Reviewers seem to want something revolutionary from them every game and don't hold the others to that for some reason.  I have a WiiU and PS4 and enjoy the first party offerings equally so far.  Sure Sony has a little less since they've been out longer but comparing PS4's first year to WiiU's I would say they're even or favor PS4 and I see it catching up fast as I have The Order, Ratchet Reboot, and Uncharted 4 (plus you gotta factor in surprise announcements with quick turnarounds like LBP3 last year) at least compared to Zelda and Star Fox for WiiU.  Yet reviewers tell me I should be having more fun with my WiiU.  Yet I have just as much fun with either and the numbers on the internet don't appear to be changing that.

Eh, but everything works both ways. Reviewers also state that I should be having fun with Monster Hunter and...eh...just no. It's boring.

No game for PD ND SM or MM, that's what lol.

I can't believe how stupid people are in the games media are, though id hardly call basement dwelling nerds that write blogs to be media but its not like the big sites are any better..

Wright said:
platformmaster918 said:

Eh, but everything works both ways. Reviewers also state that I should be having fun with Monster Hunter and...eh...just no. It's boring.

agreed which is why less sites should have scores.  Then people will know what to expect because they'll actually read and hopefully figure out if the game is for them or not.  Now they can still have differences like most say Uncharted 3 had less memorable story and set-pieces than 2 while I find both superior in 3, but at least you'll normally know if the game applies to you or not.  

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:

agreed which is why less sites should have scores.  Then people will know what to expect because they'll actually read and hopefully figure out if the game is for them or not.  Now they can still have differences like most say Uncharted 3 had less memorable story and set-pieces than 2 while I find both superior in 3, but at least you'll normally know if the game applies to you or not.  

But if it is not the scores, people will complain about the review itself. Regarding The Order, reviewers would still criticise its lenght, even though the numerical score is gone.

kowenicki said:
Scores were often too high last gen. Way too many 10's handed out. A 10 score should be a rarity, almost never seen. Metacritic scoring is skewed by some sites that have handed out 10's routinely. Some sites still do, but it seems less so now.

This gen maybe they are just more relaistic, maybe it just needs the end user to re-tune to this new lower level of scoring.

Agreed. When people started acting like sub 90 scoress were bad I knew how badly perception had been skewed.