By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1886 In depth technical analysis, DF can learn something from this guy

vivster said:

While I'm not as optimistic about the progress during the gen I at least hope the cinema format does not catch on.

it's a great way to boost performance and visuals without sacrificing clarity. Which I think makes it pretty enticing for devs. But it feels like an unnecessary bandaid that sacrifices precious screen space.

I don't mind it being used in 'proper' cinematic title (Quantic Dream games and the like), but it does seem like a design flaw for a TPS. I'll wait until I've played it myself before stating any absolutes about it, but based on what others have said i'm not optimistic about that particular feature.

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:
Euphoria14 said:

Anyways, enjoying the game thus far, and so had my daughter and wife. It's straightforward enough in some parts that I can pass the controller to my 5-year old (She likes to walk around during the day sequences and pretend she is talking to the people), although not long after she left to go back to Minecraft, which is another disliked game around these parts.

Excuse me for being inquisitive about your personal life: I do understand Minecraft is popular amongst smaller children. What exactly is a 5-year old doing in Minecraft? Building things, walking around, interacting with friends?

Building, interacting and talking to her friends is what she does when playing in creative mode. When playing survival you don't have all the blocks instantly at your disposal so you need to work to create each block. They all end up working together to accomplish things. 

She also likes to build full towns and place villagers and animals and basically play house. She uses name tags to give the animals and people names and uses leashes to walk the dogs.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

i'm sorry but he just strikes me as someone regurgitating buzzwords to sound as technical as possible..
e never actually goes into any detail on the effects other than to be like "alpha effect smoke and specular lighting" that isnt in depth, thats the bare basics...
then he seems to just make entirely arbitrary shit up like "huge gpu heavy scenes and large gigabytes of data are shifted between shots for mesh data textures and physics on cloth"

Im sorry but hes talking out of his fuckin' arse.

Tachikoma said:
i'm sorry but he just strikes me as someone regurgitating buzzwords to sound as technical as possible..
e never actually goes into any detail on the effects other than to be like "alpha effect smoke and specular lighting" that isnt in depth, thats the bare basics...
then he seems to just make entirely arbitrary shit up like "huge gpu heavy scenes and large gigabytes of data are shifted between shots for mesh data textures and physics on cloth"

Im sorry but hes talking out of his fuckin' arse.

That's generally what he makes me feel when he talks, he sounds like he isn't talking as in depth as he likesto think he is.

He's also talking and claimign this game has it set down for the entire generation of TPS type games before the generation is even over or more games like it have even come out, the way he talks of graphics makes me wonder what will happen when Star Citizen comes out, I wonder if he'll ignore it because if he does you can bet he will get called out for missing that and if not I'd expect that game to get even more shaft working from him if he's praising this game about graphics and "stable 30fps" alone, SC is going for 60fps and more.

All in all the "in depth" anaylsis can be summed up in this short clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9kgmAZF6M

The comments section is hilarious as well with downplaying of Ryse and DF even though DF has yet to release their in depth video and people are already ragging on them ebcause one guy on youtube did before them, if that's how this is going to work I can't wait to see what happens when this guy doesn't ebat 99% of other reviewers to the punch.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Intrinsic said:

However, my biggest problem with PCs and some PC enthusiasts is that (for lack of a better description) they tend to be more in love with the idea of things than what is actually in front of them and real. So what if Nvidia techs can put the full weight of their GPU to show off a technical demo of some sort that would make everyone's jaw drop, or that you can use unreal engine 4 and make a walk through of an apartment that is leaps and bounds beyond anything in games to day and maybe even in the next 5 years. Or you can dial a games specs up to ultra and 4k then take screenshots of the game to show how good it could run for the 1% of gamers out there than can build or afford a rig to support it @30fps if they are lucky. 

At the end of the day, what is most important is what we are playing and what we can see. Here and now. lets give credit where credit is due, the order is one of the flat out best looking games on the planet across any platform. I hold my reservations of its worth as a good game though I'll say there is a reason why I'm not buying it till it drops to around $30/$40, but let's not downplay what has been accomplished here.

That's not really objectively true though, there's plenty of indie games and regular ones that don't always focus on trying to be like Crysis and aren't always about pushing the pixels, when there are games that try to be crysis why can't we marvel at the power they can churn out with PC's and the games they make using newer hardware?, why is it only acceptable when PS4 tries to do it with one game but we can't marvel and praise a PC one?.

Nvidia deserves praise when they push power just like AMD apparently is getting for their hand with the PS4/Xbox 1/Wii U, in fact what I'm seeing now is TO blows Ryse according to the "in depth analysis" reviewer linked in this thread which means Ryse is shit and TO above everything else, so really everything was for nothing when we place one game like that on a pedestal.

"At the end of the day, what is most important is what we are playing and what we can see. Here and now. lets give credit where credit is due, the order is one of the flat out best looking games on the planet across any platform."

So what happens when Star Citizen comes out?, what's going to happen when a PC game that's exclusive pushes the pixels and does 60fps and more?, will that be flat out one of the ebst looking games on the planet on any platform?, or are we just playing favourites?, because objectively and subjectively I believe SC should get just as much praise as TO when that comes out, the funding from gamers alone has put in at 70 million dollars, that's not compnay funded money like Sony or MS, that's actual users showing they want the game to be what it should be with their own money and that's a hell of a lot of money just for one game, so in that respect I expect that game to be "setting trends" as the guy describes TO apparently doing for this generation even though this gen hasn't even come close to beginning.

I want to ask you though, what are your views on PS/XB/N gamers in your eyes, what's wrong with them in general since you decided to cite out PC gamers for what their hardware can do.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network

That was a nice watch.

Chazore said:

1. That's not really objectively true though, there's plenty of indie games and regular ones that don't always focus on trying to be like Crysis and aren't always about pushing the pixels, when there are games that try to be crysis why can't we marvel at the power they can churn out with PC's and the games they make using newer hardware?, why is it only acceptable when PS4 tries to do it with one game but we can't marvel and praise a PC one?.

"At the end of the day, what is most important is what we are playing and what we can see. Here and now. lets give credit where credit is due, the order is one of the flat out best looking games on the planet across any platform."

2 So what happens when Star Citizen comes out?, what's going to happen when a PC game that's exclusive pushes the pixels and does 60fps and more?, will that be flat out one of the ebst looking games on the planet on any platform?, or are we just playing favourites?, because objectively and subjectively I believe SC should get just as much praise as TO when that comes out, the funding from gamers alone has put in at 70 million dollars, that's not compnay funded money like Sony or MS, that's actual users showing they want the game to be what it should be with their own money and that's a hell of a lot of money just for one game, so in that respect I expect that game to be "setting trends" as the guy describes TO apparently doing for this generation even though this gen hasn't even come close to beginning.

3. I want to ask you though, what are your views on PS/XB/N gamers in your eyes, what's wrong with them in general since you decided to cite out PC gamers for what their hardware can do.

1. you're picking a fight and no ones fighting. who said anything is only acceptable when the PS4 tries to do something and PCs shouldn't be praised for the same? All I am saying is that there are tangible things when it comes to a games performance that don't require a microscope to see. You show a PC gamer the order/drive club..etc and the first thing they would say is, not 4k or not 60fps as if every single PC gamer out there can even match those specs. What I'm saying is that whenever a conversation is being and about how well the PS4/XB1 is running a game or how good it looks, it shouldn't always devolve into a spec war against an opponent that's simply impossible to beat. I'm saying that the PC enthusiasts set the bar impossibly high based in what the most powerful setups out there can achieve when in truth a majority of PC gamers don't have or can't even afford rigs capable of running games at those settings. 
  2. sheesh... don't even know where you are getting this... but it's good you mention star citizen. Power and performance does not equal the best looking game out there. If you are being honest with yourself you would understand exactly what I mean. if a dev makes a game that's pushing the most pologons possible while running at 8k and 120fps, that doesn't automatically make it the best looking game. Yes, it may be the most technically demanding game but power and how its used are two completely different things. As I said, "some" PC gamers tend to mix the two up.
  3. I decided to "cite" out PC gamers in relation to this topic not in general as an attack. Cause just like every single time a topic is made talking about how good any game looks on a console, the PC peeps will jump in talking about rez and frame rate as if those were the only things that make a game look good. 
Tell you what, when star citezen comes out, or the next bastion for PC gaming eye candy, let me know, but till that happens, TO and whatever game comes out and betters it is currently the best looking game on any platform. Not most technically demanding or power hungry... just the best looking period. So is it wrong to say that simply cause in a year or two another game will come and take that crown??

Intrinsic said:

1. you're picking a fight and no ones fighting. who said anything is only acceptable when the PS4 tries to do something and PCs shouldn't be praised for the same? All I am saying is that there are tangible things when it comes to a games performance that don't require a microscope to see. You show a PC gamer the order/drive club..etc and the first thing they would say is, not 4k or not 60fps as if every single PC gamer out there can even match those specs. What I'm saying is that whenever a conversation is being and about how well the PS4/XB1 is running a game or how good it looks, it shouldn't always devolve into a spec war against an opponent that's simply impossible to beat. I'm saying that the PC enthusiasts set the bar impossibly high based in what the most powerful setups out there can achieve when in truth a majority of PC gamers don't have or can't even afford rigs capable of running games at those settings. 
  2. sheesh... don't even know where you are getting this... but it's good you mention star citizen. Power and performance does not equal the best looking game out there. If you are being honest with yourself you would understand exactly what I mean. if a dev makes a game that's pushing the most pologons possible while running at 8k and 120fps, that doesn't automatically make it the best looking game. Yes, it may be the most technically demanding game but power and how its used are two completely different things. As I said, "some" PC gamers tend to mix the two up.
  3. I decided to "cite" out PC gamers in relation to this topic not in general as an attack. Cause just like every single time a topic is made talking about how good any game looks on a console, the PC peeps will jump in talking about rez and frame rate as if those were the only things that make a game look good. 
Tell you what, when star citezen comes out, or the next bastion for PC gaming eye candy, let me know, but till that happens, TO and whatever game comes out and betters it is currently the best looking game on any platform. Not most technically demanding or power hungry... just the best looking period. So is it wrong to say that simply cause in a year or two another game will come and take that crown??

1. No you're still the one who's deciced to start the fight, you're going with the generalisation that every PC gamer somehow ultimately wants 4k/60fps, I know I'd at least want 60fps because I've experienced it for years on both consoles and PC's but now we're seeing it not being 60fps acorss the board and how devs try to claim 30fps is better for cinematic experience even though hardware is setting them back and we're seeing sacrifices on both consoles being made, you said yourself that all PC gamers cite it as some form of spec war yet every time I see a thread about PS4 is 1080p 60fps while XB1 is 900p maybe 60fps- 30fps and suddenly it matters, I'm seeing this a lot this gen and whenver PC is entered (you know since they create video games they should not be facing the same hinderences that closed hardware suffers which is down to the user upgrading which isn't as impossible as it is to upgrade a console) it suddenly doesn't matter and it;s all big massive fluff.

I'm going to expect you also went to Steam to look at the hardware list and assume the majority if not all PC gamers 100% have underpwoered rigs, because I've already seen a non PC person use Steam data against PC's in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

2.Get off that train if you can't face the flak, you cannot praise TO then for it;s pixel pushing and graphics if you're just going to plainly put down SC, that's a game that's already doing more and will certainly last more than TO and you're already putting it down and competing the damn circle, congrats on feeding the cycle, you seem to act as if you know everything about PC gamers like you're some sort of psychiatrist who's well and truly been around on the planet long enough to know a diverse group of gamers without actually seeing the entire number of them...

So you think SC will be utter tripe, a flop and crap then?, all while the roder is a darling spectaciluar even though it's trying to clearly push power and graphics.

3. Not from what I'm seeing, those that do are right to because 1080p 60fps has been a standard on PC for years, when a console this new is having to make sacrifices to one or even both you cannot deny there is a problem right there, this gen is being marketed heavily as 1080p 60fps, hell the new Devil May Cry reboot edition on XB1/PS4 is touting 1080p 60fps, you can bet that people will take that in and judge it to see if it does such, for every dev out there that gets asked "will it be 1080p 60fps?" that's not PC only people asking that question and even if devs give out the answer before the question is even asked it will again lead to judgement to see if the game holds to that claim.

Every thread I've seen on here that's about what a PS4/XB1 game can do it;s always either side fedning off the other or making one side winning like it;s some absolute enjoyable slaughtering bloodbath, I've seen that term used a lot around here that it's not even funny because it;s obvious people take enjoyment in their side winning and the other losing, it;s how the console wars are still strong, you think there's a thing called PC wars?, of course not because PC's aren't owned by a single company trying to sell their closed hardware and PC's in general are all different and unique which is why it's pointless fighting against one another.

You do realise that as time goes on the more pixels, the better the sound, the scope, the fps, the better games progress right?, otherwise if you think absolutely none of those matter then go back to playing 80's nes games, I love both cartoonish graphics and realistic, sometimes even artistic and retro even but I know that technology improves the realistic graphics with time and that's something to always look forward to rather than simply ingore because it "doesn't matter" or it's "not important".

"Tell you what, when star citezen comes out, or the next bastion for PC gaming eye candy, let me know, but till that happens, TO and whatever game comes out and betters it is currently the best looking game on any platform. Not most technically demanding or power hungry... just the best looking period. So is it wrong to say that simply cause in a year or two another game will come and take that crown??"

Why should I let you know?, it;s not like you'd care for it anyway, not enough if you're having to cite PC gamers with a sweeping generalisation, you've already crowned one of your favourite games on the pedestal on your console of choice, it's not like you came from this with an unbiased viewpoint anyway, you even said "next bastion", what's that even supposed to mean?, because afaik that's sarcasm from a mile away.

best looking is subjective and you know that, unless you want to bring games from the past and do more pixels to "look good".

Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:

1. No you're still the one who's deciced to start the fight, you're going with the generalisation that every PC gamer somehow ultimately wants 4k/60fps, I know I'd at least want 60fps because I've experienced it for years on both consoles and PC's but now we're seeing it not being 60fps acorss the board and how devs try to claim 30fps is better for cinematic experience even though hardware is setting them back and we're seeing sacrifices on both consoles being made, you said yourself that all PC gamers cite it as some form of spec war yet every time I see a thread about PS4 is 1080p 60fps while XB1 is 900p maybe 60fps- 30fps and suddenly it matters, I'm seeing this a lot this gen and whenver PC is entered (you know since they create video games they should not be facing the same hinderences that closed hardware suffers which is down to the user upgrading which isn't as impossible as it is to upgrade a console) it suddenly doesn't matter and it;s all big massive fluff.

I'm going to expect you also went to Steam to look at the hardware list and assume the majority if not all PC gamers 100% have underpwoered rigs, because I've already seen a non PC person use Steam data against PC's in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

2.Get off that train if you can't face the flak, you cannot praise TO then for it;s pixel pushing and graphics if you're just going to plainly put down SC, that's a game that's already doing more and will certainly last more than TO and you're already putting it down and competing the damn circle, congrats on feeding the cycle, you seem to act as if you know everything about PC gamers like you're some sort of psychiatrist who's well and truly been around on the planet long enough to know a diverse group of gamers without actually seeing the entire number of them...

So you think SC will be utter tripe, a flop and crap then?, all while the roder is a darling spectaciluar even though it's trying to clearly push power and graphics.

3. Not from what I'm seeing, those that do are right to because 1080p 60fps has been a standard on PC for years, when a console this new is having to make sacrifices to one or even both you cannot deny there is a problem right there, this gen is being marketed heavily as 1080p 60fps, hell the new Devil May Cry reboot edition on XB1/PS4 is touting 1080p 60fps, you can bet that people will take that in and judge it to see if it does such, for every dev out there that gets asked "will it be 1080p 60fps?" that's not PC only people asking that question and even if devs give out the answer before the question is even asked it will again lead to judgement to see if the game holds to that claim.

Every thread I've seen on here that's about what a PS4/XB1 game can do it;s always either side fedning off the other or making one side winning like it;s some absolute enjoyable slaughtering bloodbath, I've seen that term used a lot around here that it's not even funny because it;s obvious people take enjoyment in their side winning and the other losing, it;s how the console wars are still strong, you think there's a thing called PC wars?, of course not because PC's aren't owned by a single company trying to sell their closed hardware and PC's in general are all different and unique which is why it's pointless fighting against one another.

You do realise that as time goes on the more pixels, the better the sound, the scope, the fps, the better games progress right?, otherwise if you think absolutely none of those matter then go back to playing 80's nes games, I love both cartoonish graphics and realistic, sometimes even artistic and retro even but I know that technology improves the realistic graphics with time and that's something to always look forward to rather than simply ingore because it "doesn't matter" or it's "not important".

"Tell you what, when star citezen comes out, or the next bastion for PC gaming eye candy, let me know, but till that happens, TO and whatever game comes out and betters it is currently the best looking game on any platform. Not most technically demanding or power hungry... just the best looking period. So is it wrong to say that simply cause in a year or two another game will come and take that crown??"

Why should I let you know?, it;s not like you'd care for it anyway, not enough if you're having to cite PC gamers with a sweeping generalisation, you've already crowned one of your favourite games on the pedestal on your console of choice, it's not like you came from this with an unbiased viewpoint anyway, you even said "next bastion", what's that even supposed to mean?, because afaik that's sarcasm from a mile away.

best looking is subjective and you know that, unless you want to bring games from the past and do more pixels to "look good".

if all you're saying is based on supposed generalization that you assume I am making, then pls read the first poat I made that sent you on this warpath. 

I said "my biggest problem with PCs and some PC enthusiasts" 

Not only did I limit my critique to the PC elite, I also further narrowed that down by saying "some". yet you call it a generalization? I am jot gonna argue with you when you seem to twist what I'm saying and only see what you want to see.

I'll just add that I find it mind boggling how you can be saying all you are saying in reply to me. I had to go back and read what I said cause you seem to be totally off tangent and taking all this in a completely unnecessary direction. 

It is now that guy in the video that should learn a thing or two from digital foundry ...