By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 Totally outsells 360?

starcraft said:
Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon are all above Folklore on gamerankings. Even if they weren't it wouldn't matter. Folklore isn't listed as an RPG.

Well the RPG's homeland is Japan, and over there people are not going to get 360s, so a load of people will buy PS3s when Last Remnant (multiplat), white knight chronicles, final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII come out. However, those will not be with us for a while, so we will have to wait until then for PS3 japan numbers to take off

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
starcraft said:
Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon are all above Folklore on gamerankings. Even if they weren't it wouldn't matter. Folklore isn't listed as an RPG.

Well the RPG's homeland is Japan, and over there people are not going to get 360s, so a load of people will buy PS3s when Last Remnant (multiplat), white knight chronicles, final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII come out. However, those will not be with us for a while, so we will have to wait until then for PS3 japan numbers to take off

Traditionally, Japan has chosen only one console per generation, and thats not about to change this generation.  I think most the titles you just mentioned will push consoles (not so much WKS or Versus(everyone will already have a PS3 for FXIII if they plan to get this title too)).  

In any case, if the PS3 is going to catch the Xbox 360, most the numbers will have to be gained in the USA and Europe. I can't see the PS3 breaching 10 million this entire generation in Japan, and it will more likely do 7-8 million. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Its still *wayyyy* to early to even speculate. At 30k/week, it will take far longer than anyone cares about - and the gap is still a solid 6.5m+ units.

It wouldn't be hard for MS to put the 360 in a global position where it outsells the PS3 on a weekly basis - the question is will they, and if they do - what will Sony do?

The 360 is doing 150k/week at the moment - which is a solid 10m this year (inc. Xmas).

I suspect the PS3 will outsell the 360 by around 2.5-3.5m this year - leaving a 3m gap at the start of '09.

So *maybe* by Xmas '09 hits - but in general its pure speculation from everyone. The battle between the 360/PS3 is still way open. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

7 million for the X360 is way too low, look at the weekly numbers and compensate for the holidays. Anything under 10M is really pessimistic.

11M for PS3 seems about right.

@ stacraft for once can you just shut the f**k up, your regular claims of being unbiased are utter shite as anyone who reads any of your posts can testify

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Around the Network

it will take between 18 months to 24 months for the PS3 to overtake the XBox 360 in consoles sold world wide.

its unfair to compare between the three consoles in a generation. All three consoles have their pros and cons. The best thing to do is to compare the sales of say PS3 compared to PS2. XBox 360 compared to the XBox. Nintendo Wii compared to the Gamecube. Two out of the three consoles have improved upon their previous console significantly except for PS3 that has had a slower start than PS2.

Frankly I do not give a damn which console sells the most this generation it is not going to affect my life.

solojohlo said:
@ stacraft for once can you just shut the f**k up, your regular claims of being unbiased are utter shite as anyone who reads any of your posts can testify

We are in a sales discussion forum? What the hell is your problem? If you disagree with something I've said, provide a counter argument. Why the personal attack? I've never even seen you in the forums, what did I do to you?

Edit: And when have I said I'm unbiased. I regularly admit that I prefer the 360, but If your actually agreeing with people that argue the console's line-up is all shooters, you need to head over to one of the 360 exclusive threads and start reading. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@starcraft Ok I disagree with you on quite a number of things. Every piece of news posted on this site is construed as being good news for ms and bad for sony. Pretty much every PS3 exclusive out this year has already been denounced as mediocre at best by you. I don't think that despite all your claims to the contrary that you've ever played a PS3 because if you had you would at the very least be able to appreciate its games, which i've never seen you do. Just because i'm a new poster does that mean my opinion doesn't count? I post what i see. I know you are not the worst fanboy on this site ( heck you probably aren't the worst 360 fan) but it's just i see your name most commonly around these threads. Edit: Microsoft does have a more balanced line up this year, it's just 360's selling software is shooter dependant, and i doubt NG 2 to be huge after previous sales

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

by 2009 ps3 will be ahead, seriously the lineup this year for ps3 is unbeatable, theres only 2 games that catch my eye for 360 thats gears 2 and gaiden 2.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Mars said:
Jan 1st 09

360 is on is death bed. Even the biggest vg fanboys cant deny its fall and the fact it hit its peak with Halo3 and that theres no where to go but down way down.

Its VERY simple.

Huge releases like MGS4 GT FF will push PS3 hardware way beyond the 360 during their releases, then xmas 08 will come where the PS3 brutally out sales the 360 by many millions world wide.

Also 360 wont hold on to its only strong hold (shooter heaven USA) when Sonys got the likes of MGS4 Resistance2 Killzone2 Socom Confrontation and Socom4 as Exclusives.

I don't see how 360 is on its death-bed: It's 2nd biggest game has yet to arrive, and will steal alot of PS2 users. (Yes I'm talking about GTA4).

MGS is a big game, but no monster seller like GTA, FF and GT. probably around 3 million sales of which I expect a maximum of 500.000 new users (still a nice boost).

The problem for Sony is that the REALLY BIG games don't arrive this year: FF and GT. Until then the line-ups for both consoles are more or less equal. I'm sure PS3 will sell more than 360 this year, but it won't close the 7 million gap this year.

Also I kinda missed the transition from Sony fans bashing Wii to suddenly a 360 bashfest....