By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 Totally outsells 360?

Mars said:

Not just possible but likely it will do more then that.

PS3 will have RPG Racing and shooter fans flooking to it this year, thats a huge crowd of potential buyers. It will have sales in all 3 major markets while 360 will struggle badly in the US what used to be its best.

RPG fans?  The PS3 doesn't have a single good exclusive RPG, and none that are coming out this year (possible exception is WKS).  GT5 is looking like it will be delayed to 09, the PS3 has no other good exclusive racers.  The PS3's only exclusive shooters this year will be the follow up to a crap game (Killzone 2) that is already rumoured to be mediocre, and the follow up to a game that was good but not great (Resistance 2).

Thanks for playing. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
CaptainPrefrences said:

thats true. i always hear 360 boys (my friends) saying this and that about 360 games. but there all shooters! well i mean the good ones including multi platform. cod4, gears, halo, bioshock, crackdown?,

ps3 got: mgs4- a shooting game

white knight chronicles ( i think thats what its called)- rpg

gran turismo 5 prologe- racing

infamous- sandbox

i find it funny that the "3 big 360 games of 2008" ninja gaiden 2 gears 2 and fable 2 are all sequels.

I wont be too hard on you, given that many people confuse the original Xbox with the most diversified game library of this generation (the Xbox 360's). Truly excellent games that are exclusive and NOT shooters include Mass Effect, Viva Pinata, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Saint's Row, Just Cause (it's not on PS3 right), PGR3, PGR4, Forza Motorsport 2, Kameo, Two Worlds (after the patch admittedely.) and Crackdown.

Excellent looking games in the line-up that are NOT shooters include, Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie 3.

As for the fact you mentioed RPG's in the PS3's line-up. Don't even go there my friend, just don't. Same with sandbox games. Until the arrival of GT5 the Xbox 360 is the premier racing console (even after GT5 the PS3 has no good arcade racer ala PGR).

Mars said:

lol ok.

PS2 did 45 million in US, xbox 16 so 7 million is nothing especially when you struggle to out sale a competitior that is MORE expensive and NON if its best games are out yet.

- Sony can cut price if they need to, they have cuts costs to the point their gaming division posted profits.

- 360s line up is NOTHING compared to PS3s, and decent will just not cut it. 360 has already milled the shotter fans to death, they lack great games of other genres to move hardware. They lack a diverse game line up to compete with the PS3.

And bud look at Burnout or DMC sales, GTA 360 aint out selling anything by 3-1 especially with GT5p coming out in Europe before GTA. Then 1.5 months later MGS4 hitting World Wide.

360 is screwed, MS had a chance but they failed to capitalize.

I was going to respond to this drivel, but I think you can just read my response to CaptainPreferences.

As for your first comment you cannot have it both ways.  If the Playstation brand is so strong that you believe most PS2 owners will upgrade to a PS3, then you can't argue that it is a lack of games or price differences that makes the PS3 beating the Xbox 360 comical.  Surely you would also have to put this down to brand strength? 

So are you counting Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea III as SRPG's and not RPG's. That seems like a strange idea to me.

On the other hand you could be debating their quality....which I would like to hear if possible. Regardless the rest of your post seems plausible.

added after a thought: I enjoyed Folklore alot....so I disagree in no "good" RPG's being on the PS3 now.

Torillian said:
So are you counting Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea III as SRPG's and not RPG's. That seems like a strange idea to me.

On the other hand you could be debating their quality....which I would like to hear if possible. Regardless the rest of your post seems plausible.

added after a thought: I enjoyed Folklore alot....so I disagree in no "good" RPG's being on the PS3 now.

My apologies, I forgot about Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea.  They should be of reasonable quality.  I also forgot the Xbox 360 exclusive Tales.  I still think in numbers and quality the Xbox 360's RPG outfit rips the PS3's a new one.  That will continue until after FFXIII.  About a year after that title the PS3 wil start to get a number of JRPG's from development houses waiting for FFXIII to expand to consoles JRPG userbase.

I'm sorry but the quality of Folklore just isn't comparable to Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata or Lair:)

Around the Network
CaptainPrefrences said:

thats true. i always hear 360 boys (my friends) saying this and that about 360 games. but there all shooters! well i mean the good ones including multi platform. cod4, gears, halo, bioshock, crackdown?,

ps3 got: mgs4- a shooting game

white knight chronicles ( i think thats what its called)- rpg

gran turismo 5 prologe- racing

infamous- sandbox

i find it funny that the "3 big 360 games of 2008" ninja gaiden 2 gears 2 and fable 2 are all sequels.

I find it funy that out of the 4 game you just mentioned 2 are non-sequels guaranteed to be big sellers. Start praying that they don't pull a Heavenly Sword lol

What are you looking at, nerd?

Mid 09 for me
May I point out that the PS3 apparently completely failed last year, with about 8m consoles sold. It is already doubling its sales at this point in the year, so 11m is not unreasonable, although I think that it will be more like 12m, because last year the PS3 had no games, this year it has two and a half (GT 5p, GTA IV and MGS 4)

I don't think the PS3 will ever outsell the 360.  As the prices drop the 360 will continue to intice as many or more buyers than the PS3 which will always have a higher price.  Though this is my opinion.  The games though  are the same rubberstamps with different ink colors to make you blush with joy.  sigh, the Plastation and Xbox consoles have become to much of a bore to be very powerfull these days.  Another FPS Halo! er.. wait is that Resistance... no its Quak 10, oh nevermind.       Sorry I mean no offence, to anyone specific. 

Hi

Blue Dragon: 7.5
Eternal Sonata: 7.6
Two Worlds: 5.1

Folklore: 7.5

These are the press averages pulled from the IGN site. If you are simply saying as a matter of personal taste than that is certainly debatable, but I think that your comparison of these games is not so much an indisputable fact as you seem to lay claim.

Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon are all above Folklore on gamerankings. Even if they weren't it wouldn't matter. Folklore isn't listed as an RPG.