By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Import thread! Dragon Quest Heroes review! Tales of Zestiria review!

KilleyMc said:
Based on gameplay videos alone, Xenoblade does seem like a pretty boring RPG, no wonder its sales dropped like a rock. Bravely Second on the other hand didn't seem bad, I'll still give it a try next year.
Also, good review of Lost Dimension, now that Star Fox Zeo was moved to 2016 I need to replace it with something, and this game was on my radar since its announcement, I might as well dig in now.

It's selling better than the Wii version on a smaller userbase lol.

Anyway, games that no one buys can't appear in bargain bins either. The case of many Vita games.

The Bravely franchise on the other hand is trash. Nobody wants to buy the sequel after the shit they pulled in the first game.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
KilleyMc said:
Based on gameplay videos alone, Xenoblade does seem like a pretty boring RPG, no wonder its sales dropped like a rock. Bravely Second on the other hand didn't seem bad, I'll still give it a try next year.
Also, good review of Lost Dimension, now that Star Fox Zeo was moved to 2016 I need to replace it with something, and this game was on my radar since its announcement, I might as well dig in now.

Anyway, games that no one buys can't appear in bargain bins either. The case of many Vita games.

The Bravely franchise on the other hand is trash. Nobody wants to buy the sequel after the shit they pulled in the first game.

The first game was SOOOO good... right up until you realize you had to play through the exact same sequence 3-4 times in order to get to the end.

Samus Aran said:
KilleyMc said:

I don't think the small userbase has anything to do with the poor legs the game showed, not when it's being outsold by an RPG like The Witcher 3 that should be less appealing to the Japanese market and is available on consoles with an even smaller userbase. Xenoblade Chronicles X had far less competition at launch than the original, heck, almost 5 months after its release it still is this gen's only big JRPG available on home consoles if you don't count MMORPG's or Bloodborne (not exactly a traditional RPG) I refuse to believe that the Wii U was the wrong console for the game or that Nintendo didn't market it enough, so the only thing left is that for some reason word of mouth isn't exactly good, or the game should be selling a lot more. 

KilleyMc said:
Samus Aran said:
KilleyMc said:

I don't think the small userbase has anything to do with the poor legs the game showed, not when it's being outsold by an RPG like The Witcher 3 that should be less appealing to the Japanese market and is available on consoles with an even smaller userbase. Xenoblade Chronicles X had far less competition at launch than the original, heck, almost 5 months after its release it still is this gen's only big JRPG available on home consoles if you don't count MMORPG's or Bloodborne (not exactly a traditional RPG) I refuse to believe that the Wii U was the wrong console for the game or that Nintendo didn't market it enough, so the only thing left is that for some reason word of mouth isn't exactly good, or the game should be selling a lot more. 

The first game didn't appeal to the Japanese, so why would the second one? It has nearly outsold the lifetime sales of the first Xenoblade in Japan already.

It definitely didn't get the marketing of Splatoon or Super Mario Maker.

And people said shooters didn't appeal to the Japanese market either, and look at Splatoon...

Ooh, didn't know a thread like this existed, tagging!

The OP said about handhelds like the Vita being posted in another but we can still talk about 3DS games right?

--

Really wished for more Tales of games to be ported to Nintendo consoles, especially the 3DS

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

Hello people. Sorry I haven't been in touch recently but I've actually resumed doing some sports and my schedule has therefore been busier.

https://ryuz4ki57inenglish.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/review-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

Sorry for the late response, but I had a question with something in your review.

In terms of characters, again Monolith’s work is unbalanced. 13 year-old (!) Lyn is quite good in her moe/kawaii role, her voice actress Mariya Ise (who also voice Riko from Aria the Scarlet Ammo) has the right tone to make her funny. But you won’t enjoy that because Nintendo isn’t bringing the original dubbing. Beyond that, no character stands out, even Elma is quite shallow until the very end. The others have almost no screentime, let alone a convincing showing, but the game had a surprise…

Has the bolded been confirmed? Maybe I haven't been paying close attention, but I assumed this game would be dual-audio like the original. It could be a big deal for me...if I'm forced to listen to English voice actors.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Hello people. Sorry I haven't been in touch recently but I've actually resumed doing some sports and my schedule has therefore been busier.

https://ryuz4ki57inenglish.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/review-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

Sorry for the late response, but I had a question with something in your review.

In terms of characters, again Monolith’s work is unbalanced. 13 year-old (!) Lyn is quite good in her moe/kawaii role, her voice actress Mariya Ise (who also voice Riko from Aria the Scarlet Ammo) has the right tone to make her funny. But you won’t enjoy that because Nintendo isn’t bringing the original dubbing. Beyond that, no character stands out, even Elma is quite shallow until the very end. The others have almost no screentime, let alone a convincing showing, but the game had a surprise…

Has the bolded been confirmed? Maybe I haven't been paying close attention, but I assumed this game would be dual-audio like the original. It could be a big deal for me...if I'm forced to listen to English voice actors.

Considering what Nintendo of America has been pulling lately, it wouldn't surprise me. Plus, the game is already big enough as is not to fit on one disc.

That, and the English VAs for Xenoblade Chronicles were unusually memorable. Unfortunately, they're an outlier until X proves me otherwise (I doubt it will)

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Samus Aran said:

The first game didn't appeal to the Japanese, so why would the second one? It has nearly outsold the lifetime sales of the first Xenoblade in Japan already.

It definitely didn't get the marketing of Splatoon or Super Mario Maker.

And people said shooters didn't appeal to the Japanese market either, and look at Splatoon...

Well, maybe the second would if it had some improvements over the first one, be it on the combat system, story, characters or whatever they felt was unappealing in the original, it's somewhat disappointing that it did nothing to increment the fanbase of the series. It's probably selling less than 1000 units per week now, not knowing digital numbers I'd say that it still has a long way to go before it can outsell the original.

It was never going to get the marketing of Splatoon and Mario Maker, but it still should have been decent, surely far better than what the original got.

As for the last part, I'd argue that unlike any other shooter Splatoon is a game that literally screams 'Japan' , it is tailored for that market, The Witcher 3 can't say the same. 

ryuzaki57 said:

I'm in Japan right now and the used games market tells a lot about whch games are appreciated or not.

Clearly not the case of Bravely Second. I could find quite a lot of 2000 yen-worth copies in Akihabara

Xenoblade X ended up in bomba bins with Rodea (not a good sign) and lost 60% of its value. THe game didn't have legs, suggesting its severe flaws halted its carrier.

Senran Kagura 2 on 3DS, Forbidden Magna and Tales of the World have been in this bomba bin for months now. 

For comparison, highly appreciated games like Senran Kagura Estival Versus still cost more than 5000 yens.

Other stuff

Gal Gun elevator, funny.

Besides, lots LOTS of Mario Maker marketing here in Tokyo. 

Some hard off / book off stores have dropped xcx to as low as 2400y recently, too.

TheWPCTraveler said:

Considering what Nintendo of America has been pulling lately, it wouldn't surprise me. Plus, the game is already big enough as is not to fit on one disc.

That, and the English VAs for Xenoblade Chronicles were unusually memorable. Unfortunately, they're an outlier until X proves me otherwise (I doubt it will)

Dang...that'd be pretty unfortunate. Just have to cross my fingers and hope for some quality...dubbed...work...

*cries*

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334