By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony making a turnaround - aiming at $4.20bn profit by end of FY 2017

Mikmster said:
Puppyroach said:
I think these news points toward Sony looking into an even more digitized Playstation platform than they have today. They know the hardware based gaming market will shrink massively and will simply try to position themselves in digital gaming where margins are a bit higher and possibility of profit is more likely.

eventually yahh but that might be 5/10 years from now. 

Fixing.

I work for a telecommunications company in an underdeveloped country and even here, the demand for faster and more reliable internet, will make government and providers massively invest in infrastructure.

Around the Network

I'm so glad they're taking steps to try and get out of the financial hardships. Good luck Sony!!

This is too high of a goal, they so be shooting themselves in the foot when they miss the target.

This is it right? Sony is going to make a big profit? Finally! I feel like baking a cake for them!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

This is a pretty normal profit goal for a corporation that generates around 70B$ a year. But since Sony is a struggling company, this represents a pretty tough goal to reach. I guess that we'll find out in 2018.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
Ssliasil said:
I expect Sony stock to plummet hard over the next few days due to this news.

People, now expecting massive profit - will sell their stocks to lower the stock value and re purchase them at a lower price point to maximize profits.

sony is expecting massive profit but they are the company itself. other people's minds won't change with these news.

Subsidized sales of Sony devices through PlayStation Vue, and this should come with ease. Over 200M cable subscribers in the US alone. Get even 25% of that via PS4, Bravia TV's, or Blu-ray/Media boxes, and not only do they have live TV. With PSN monopolizing the TV they would pick up massive amounts of revenue and profits through games, music, On demand, PPV, and digital video.

If they are smart they will continue to expand the offerings on PSN as well. Books, comics, purchasable digital music, music videos, concerts, productivity apps, fitness apps, and anything else they can offer. If they want to be competitive they have to offer just as much as the competition (Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft). If they want to win, they have to offer the most variety, and the best experience. I already feel like they are well on their way. This next 18 months will be very interesting.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Subsidized sales of Sony devices through PlayStation Vue, and this should come with ease. Over 200M cable subscribers in the US alone. Get even 25% of that via PS4, Bravia TV's, or Blu-ray/Media boxes, and not only do they have live TV. With PSN monopolizing the TV they would pick up massive amounts of revenue and profits through games, music, On demand, PPV, and digital video.

If they are smart they will continue to expand the offerings on PSN as well. Books, comics, purchasable digital music, music videos, concerts, productivity apps, fitness apps, and anything else they can offer. If they want to be competitive they have to offer just as much as the competition (Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft). If they want to win, they have to offer the most variety, and the best experience. I already feel like they are well on their way. This next 18 months will be very interesting.

That ROE is pretty agressive, but the time table given is also pretty realistic, by then the Cmos sensor yIelds for production will have been increased, also the investment into Now 3D stacked TV turner Smart Chips will have been even further refined to the 2nd series or even 3rd, combined with more software and services income stream.

The Profit base should be well increased by then , because the restructure and assets that are Toxic that are not doing well can be spun off into another whole sub, or completely sold off. This is what many Investment review on direction of Sony as a company was looking for to happen, if the section is not performing like it need's to be it is looking to restrict the level of reliance of said part to Sony as a whole.

This is telling the section's of Sony is saying you are going to get cut off if you do not start pulling your weight...but in a nice way..LOL

Good direction indeed, will they attain such by than who knows, but it is pretty reasonable in its goal..its not a impossible goal in my opinion..its agressive, but it seems that Kaz and the board are on the same page..and there was a shift in leadership to boot.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Burek said:
Mikmster said:
" the Company will strive to further expand the installed user base of the PlayStation platform and PlayStation Network (PSN)."

Price cuts coming, increasing the PS4 user base fast is instrumental to their strategy.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

With gaming being one of their cornerstones now, I believe more investments in exclusive games and studios is to be expected. It will be exciting to follow the news...

You cannot make profit by cutting prices.  Just getting PSN into more consumers does not mean they will spend more money on the service.  Sony does not need to cut any prices to keep selling because the PS4 sells itself.  Instead Sony is thinking of getting more users with PS Now, PS Vue and other services that is not tied to the console.  Thats the smarter bet to push more sales and growth of your network and services beyound your devices.

zumnupy10 said:
Mikmster said:

eventually yahh but that might be 5/10 years from now. 

Fixing.

I work for a telecommunications company in an underdeveloped country and even here, the demand for faster and more reliable internet, will make government and providers massively invest in infrastructure.

Even in developed countries the infrastructure cannot support online-only gaming.