By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony making a turnaround - aiming at $4.20bn profit by end of FY 2017

TheGoldenBoy said:

Sounds good. I just hope it all works out.

Now where's kowenicki with his analysis since the dude actually knows what the fuck he is talking about in terms of business and I want to read what he says.

I see what you did there.

Around the Network

lets hope for the best

The divisions Sony will spin off are its audio and video businesses. I'm not sure what that is exactly...hardware components like bluray players and such?

http://m.bbc.com/news/business-31523511

Sony is becoming a shadow of it´s former self.

kowenicki said:

This shouldnt be a shock to people, operating profit is already there in most of their sectors.

Looks like at last the final vanity project of mobile will likely be sidelined and probably ultimately sold off. Thats the final piece as far as I am concerend and was inevitable months ago after sales numbers didnt move up, hence my personal decision to buy in.

As I say, they are aready posting an op profit in most sectors so this isnt a stretch. For too long they have been a dinosaur operating on tiny tiny margins. This is how it should have been heading for the last 20 years. Took a financial crisis to wake them up and the realisation that their domestic market is dying rapidly.

The Sony of now is exactly the Sony I have been banging on about for years and getting grief here for. "Sony isnt going anywhere"... well it has. Sony now isnt the Sony it was. It is smaller, leaner. It isnt trying to return to what it was, its shifting itself to a smaller more focussed business and profits simply follow.

Now if the Yen holds its weak stance this could all potentially happen fairly swiftly. If it doesnt, then its a different story.

When you say smaller but focused, could this potentially be synonymous with "less important" as a company?

Around the Network

They should quit smartphone business

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

rolltide101x said:
Lawlight said:

Think about 5 years ago. I don't think the infrastructure changed all that much.

The next Playstation will not be a cloudbox, anyone who thinks so is insane. The PS5 will not have an optical drive though it will be download only

I don't think Sony want to kill ps5

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

2017? a 2 year plan is kind of a long one to predict how things will sway, anticipation in a calendar year alone can be quite difficult

true_fan said:
This is too high of a goal, they so be shooting themselves in the foot when they miss the target.

they will not come close to the target they have mentioned here. it's just astronomically high when considering how every sector of theirs practically is doing poor except for Playstation/video gaming

it's a ludicrous announcement with the hope of attracking positive PR and confidence in their brand especially in the stock market (not that it will work). too much of the explanation for turning around the company is based on talking in the air without anything solid. Playstation alone cannot save Sony as Sony currently has many sectors and owes many debts FROM those other sectors

mountaindewslave said:
true_fan said:
This is too high of a goal, they so be shooting themselves in the foot when they miss the target.

they will not come close to the target they have mentioned here. it's just astronomically high when considering how every sector of theirs practically is doing poor except for Playstation/video gaming

it's a ludicrous announcement with the hope of attracking positive PR and confidence in their brand especially in the stock market (not that it will work). too much of the explanation for turning around the company is based on talking in the air without anything solid. Playstation alone cannot save Sony as Sony currently has many sectors and owes many debts FROM those other sectors

Yup exactly my point, they are setting themselves for several earnings misses, which will kill all future confidence. How many times have they slashed projections in the last few years, I know it has been more than a few times.