By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Nintendo game prices never fall?

Aeolus451 said:

In all honesty, used games' prices are a better indicator how well a game is doing. If it stays up there after a game has been out for a while, then the game is selling well compared to other games on the same console. Also if a game is being traded in a lot in a short span of time then it's used game price will probably drop quickly.

Both The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze have high used game prices. They are also ranked 8th and 9th on vgchartz.

Here's some other games for comparison. The Last of Us remastered is ranked 8th on vgchartz and priced similarly on GS.

Forza Motorsport 5 is ranked 8th on vgchartz and here is it's price on GS.

All of these games are $50 new on GS. 

i bought TLOU:R for 17$ last night. It is 100% because of Nintendo being hardheaded. Used prices do not drop because Nintendo does not drop new prices. 

17$

http://boxeddeal.com/gaming/playstation-4/last-of-us-remastered-edition-playstation-4-dlc-code-email-delivery.html

21$

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Us-Remastered-Download-playstation-4/dp/B00OBZNI0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424292919&sr=8-2&keywords=the+last+of+us

Wind Waker HD

46$.....

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Waker-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B002I0GF72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424292968&sr=8-1&keywords=wind+waker+hd

Wind Waker HD 1.28 Million

The Last of Us Remastered 2.75 million.

Your point is invalid.....

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:
There are a lot of answers in this thread, but what I would like to know is how Nintendo controls the retailers price. During their "monopoly" in the NES/SNES days, and in the Wiis heydays, they probably could exert a great deal of influence over the retailers.
But in these days when some stores even choose to not have Nintendo on their shelves how can they hinder the shop-owner of getting rid of his small stock of Wii U games buy lowering the price. The shop-owner has already payed for the physical copy, I guess, so he could sell it at a loss if he wants more profitable merchandise replaceing the slow selling Nintendo games.
So, again, my question is: how are Nintendo able to control the price at every retailer? What methods are the using to keep the price high even if it means the shop owner has to reserve a lot of shelf-space during a long time-frame with a very slow income.

They make great games that don't need discounts in order to sell.

RolStoppable said:
First off, there are Nintendo games that move to bargain bin prices, so it's not always true that they maintain their price.

The reason why Nintendo doesn't slash prices is because they have to protect their business. If they conditioned consumers to expect price drops after a few months, then that would have a negative impact on their business in the long run due to decreased profit margins. The Wii U being in a bad position doesn't justify throwing this line of thinking over board, because once you've started slashing prices, it's hard to go back.

For consumers, the negative thing is that they can't buy up Nintendo software at dumpster prices, but the positive thing (at least for gamers who tend to buy games early) is that there's no fear that the game that was just bought could be had for only half the price only a month later.

Indeed. My thoughts exactly. Confidence for a consumer goes a long way, especially since if the game itself retains value. Pikmin 3 is a good testament towards this.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Materia-Blade said:
baloofarsan said:
There are a lot of answers in this thread, but what I would like to know is how Nintendo controls the retailers price. During their "monopoly" in the NES/SNES days, and in the Wiis heydays, they probably could exert a great deal of influence over the retailers.
But in these days when some stores even choose to not have Nintendo on their shelves how can they hinder the shop-owner of getting rid of his small stock of Wii U games buy lowering the price. The shop-owner has already payed for the physical copy, I guess, so he could sell it at a loss if he wants more profitable merchandise replaceing the slow selling Nintendo games.
So, again, my question is: how are Nintendo able to control the price at every retailer? What methods are the using to keep the price high even if it means the shop owner has to reserve a lot of shelf-space during a long time-frame with a very slow income.

They make great games that don't need discounts in order to sell.

Nintendo games sell well but they do not sell "that" well.

rolltide101x said:
Aeolus451 said:

In all honesty, used games' prices are a better indicator how well a game is doing. If it stays up there after a game has been out for a while, then the game is selling well compared to other games on the same console. Also if a game is being traded in a lot in a short span of time then it's used game price will probably drop quickly.

Both The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze have high used game prices. They are also ranked 8th and 9th on vgchartz.

Here's some other games for comparison. The Last of Us remastered is ranked 8th on vgchartz and priced similarly on GS.

Forza Motorsport 5 is ranked 8th on vgchartz and here is it's price on GS.

All of these games are $50 new on GS. 

i bought TLOU:R for 17$ last night. It is 100% because of Nintendo being hardheaded. Used prices do not drop because Nintendo does not drop new prices. 

I don't how you bought that for 17 haha. After I posted, I started to look at more of nintendo games on GS. The new and used game prices are extremely close for some reason. With other games, there's usually a big gap between the two. I don't know if the new and used prices being so close is because of GS or nintendo. Nintendo does drop their new prices but not like or at the same rate as other publishers and console makers. New prices for alot of their games were very different. 

None the less, I retract what I said about used and new prices adjusting to nintendo. Again, something else that nintendo likes to be different on.

Around the Network
OnlyForDisplay said:
RolStoppable said:
First off, there are Nintendo games that move to bargain bin prices, so it's not always true that they maintain their price.

The reason why Nintendo doesn't slash prices is because they have to protect their business. If they conditioned consumers to expect price drops after a few months, then that would have a negative impact on their business in the long run due to decreased profit margins. The Wii U being in a bad position doesn't justify throwing this line of thinking over board, because once you've started slashing prices, it's hard to go back.

For consumers, the negative thing is that they can't buy up Nintendo software at dumpster prices, but the positive thing (at least for gamers who tend to buy games early) is that there's no fear that the game that was just bought could be had for only half the price only a month later.

Indeed. My thoughts exactly. Confidence for a consumer goes a long way, especially since if the game itself retains value. Pikmin 3 is a good testament towards this.

This is a huge negative. It is ridicioulous that they keep prices so high. It just makes me far less likely to buy Nintendo games for my Wii U. I love Wind Waker HD but I can get TLOU:R for 17$ on PS4. Not many would argue that TLOU is a better deal at 17$ than ANY Nintendo game at 45$. Only hardcore Nintendo fans. Nothing against Nintendo's games but Sony knows how to treat its customers.

Just to put it out there, I have never felt burned by a Nintendo game, or a Sony game for that matter. Do not recall any issues with a MS game either (did not buy MCC)

rolltide101x said:
OnlyForDisplay said:
RolStoppable said:

This is a huge negative. It is ridicioulous that they keep prices so high. It just makes me far less likely to buy Nintendo games for my Wii U. I love Wind Waker HD but I can get TLOU:R for 17$ on PS4. Not many would argue that TLOU is a better deal at 17$ than ANY Nintendo game at 45$. Only hardcore Nintendo fans. Nothing against Nintendo's games but Sony knows how to treat its customers.

Just to put it out there, I have never felt burned by a Nintendo game, or a Sony game for that matter. Do not recall any issues with a MS game either (did not buy MCC)

to be fair, nintendo doesnt make all the money sony does from 3rd party and the ridiculous digital pricing on the PSN store, so they have to make the most from their own games.

Check out the sales charts on the PS blog... theres many titles which appear on those charts which are fairly new releases priced at £60, a full £20 more than what is considered 'full retail price'... so they rip people off too.

Because Nintendo's games do not lose most of their value as quickly or frequently as often as usual.

Love and tolerate.

fps_d0minat0r said:
rolltide101x said:

to be fair, nintendo doesnt make all the money sony does from 3rd party and the ridiculous digital pricing on the PSN store, so they have to make the most from their own games.

Check out the sales charts on the PS blog... theres many titles which appear on those charts which are fairly new releases priced at £60, a full £20 more than what is considered 'full retail price'... so they rip people off too.

I get games for next to nothing digitally all the time. I do agree that digital prices should "naturally drop" more without relying on a sale but in general I think PSStore prices are great. Does not seem to be an issue in the U.S.

rolltide101x said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

I get games for next to nothing digitally all the time. I do agree that digital prices should "naturally drop" more without relying on a sale but in general I think PSStore prices are great. Does not seem to be an issue in the U.S.

In the EU we're always bitching about how US get better sales.

Anyway, I was refering to the new games. Really surprised people actually pay the inflated digital launch prices on PSN when they could get a physical copy for less (and probably delivered before launch).