By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Nintendo game prices never fall?

Because they are evil, greedy and don't care for the consumers. Out of touch with reality.
Nintendo games should drop in price after 1 month of release, no matter if the next game bombs at launch and thus have to drop the price faster, increasing losses, and finally, giving a lower budget to the next iteration.

They should be more like other companies giving us pathetic annual unfinished upgrades with a lot of patchs every week.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:

i bought TLOU:R for 17$ last night. It is 100% because of Nintendo being hardheaded. Used prices do not drop because Nintendo does not drop new prices. 

Wind Waker HD

46$.....

Wind Waker HD 1.28 Million

The Last of Us Remastered 2.75 million.

Your point is invalid.....

There is a lot of grey area here and I wouldn't say someone else's perspective is "invalid", plus, it's not very nice.

When you consider the install bases of these two games 9.1m and 19.1m respectively, you see that they both penetrate about 14%...  depending on how one looks, the numbers ebb and flow.  At the end of the day, there is a higher demand for Windwaker and people pay the higher price.  But none of these numbers are truly indicitave because they are different games.  But there are many other old Wii U games that people are willing to pay more for and do.  Call it greed or call it business savvy, but Nintendo is successful and needs to sell software where it doesn't sell hardware; their system is working.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Lawlight said:
MDMAlliance said:

Your first point makes little sense, since if that were true, other 3rd party games on Nintendo systems should follow suit.  It also doesn't make much sense since it wouldn't matter what other publishers do anyway.  

For the second point, the sales boost they would see from cutting the price would likely not result in increased profits for Nintendo.  While sales numbers may look good to some people, if they aren't making more money that way then why should they do it?  The more likely reason is that people will buy the games anyway, even if they don't drop in price.  If they drop the price, they wont suddenly see a 20-50% increase in weekly sales.  The way they do it now means more profits... at least for the games they DON'T drop.  However, it's been pointed out plenty of times already that Nintendo DOES cut the price of some of their games.

1. Other 3rd party games? Compare how many come out on the WiiU vs the PS4 or X1.

2. If they drop the price, they will see a 20-50% increase in weekly sales - see I can make up stats too. If dropping the price didn't help with profit, why would all other publishers do it? Or is Nintendo the only smart one?

Your response to #1 makes no sense, since I didn't say that the Wii U had a lot of 3rd party support.  However, of the 3rd party support the Wii U DOES have, they do the same thing as they do on other consoles (drop quickly in price).  I was also giving you a hypothetical situation, saying that IF the Wii U did have a lot of 3rd party support like the XB1 and PS4 had, it wouldn't actually change anything.  It's irrelevant to Nintendo's pricing. 

For #2, you fail to realize that it's ridiculous to think that a 20-50% price cut will result in a 20-50% overall increase week on week when the Wii U is already the cheapest console, on top of having sold for a loss.  Price cuts tend to have temporary boosts in sales, not permanent.  Especially for systems like the Wii U.  I think Nintendo would rather see a substantial increase in its sales first before giving it the cut (or if sales drop enough WoW that a price cut would be justified).   Another thing you're completely ignoring is that SEVERAL people have already mentioned here that Nintendo DOES cut the price on some of their software.  It's mostly their key titles that don't get dropped, since they keep selling anyway.  If they cut the price, they probably could see higher sales numbers, but lower profits most likely.  Other publishers price cut for multiple reasons.  One obvious reason that you seem to not be able to grasp after everything everyone has already said is that Nintendo games often have legs, but most 3rd party publishers have heavily front-loaded game sales.  In order to have people coming back, they would have to lower the price and move more units.  This also goes onto my second point - Nintendo games often already have established fan bases.  Many 3rd parties are starting from 0 (or less than they want) so they want more copies in peoples hands so they can grow their fan bases.  It doesn't work quite the same way with Nintendo (and again, other Nintendo published/developed games DO get price cuts.  You can easily find this by looking up some of Nintendo's non-key franchises).  

edit: Also the sales would need to increase MORE than the 20-50% for it to be worth while anyway.  Increasing the installed base can be helpful for some software sales and 3rd party support, but given how deep in the hole the Wii U is, the help would be marginal. 

The comments I'm seeing are ridiculous.

I'd much rather pay full price for a game knowing its quality is high and have the opportunity to sell it, at any point in time, for essentially the same value if I wanted. You know what sucks? Buying a Call of Duty game within a week of launch and it being $20 after said week. That's what the industry has conditioned people to realize: games don't retain their value. So, rather than getting mad at Nintendo for keeping their prices stable (which benefits both the industry as a whole and their bank account), why don't you get mad at shitty publishers like EA or Activision who don't have any confidence in their products or the video game market?

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

zorg1000 said:

Not sure what ur talking about, Gamecube had Player's Choice and Wii had Nintendo Selects which cost $19.99

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Selects

Yeah, they did, but they waited until each console was pretty much dead, dropping the prices of games that pretty much everyone who was interested had anyways.  Also from what I remember, most of the Gamecube games were $30  Every other publisher doesn't wait four years to drop the price on their games, months away from unveiling their next console.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I've always wondered about it as well. You can't even get copies of Pokemon games that have been out for years without paying at least $35-40. Very disappointing.

Nintendo never seemed to grasp the idea that a significant portion of a game's lifetime sales come after it's price has dropped. Would you rather sell 2 million copies at full price, or 1.5 million at full price and another 1.5 million at a discount? The 2nd scenario makes you more money in the long run.

Not necessarily.

$60x2,000,000=$120,000,000

$60x1,500,000=$90,000,000

$20x1,500,000=$30,000,000

$90,000,000+$30,000,000=$120,000,000

$120,000,000=$120,000,000

So dropping the price and getting more sales doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as getting more money.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's a business strategy. Just like companies who put out annual releases will lower prices on their old software in order fo it to behave as a kind of paid demo for their new and up to date software.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

kupomogli said:
zorg1000 said:

Not sure what ur talking about, Gamecube had Player's Choice and Wii had Nintendo Selects which cost $19.99

Yeah, they did, but they waited until each console was pretty much dead, dropping the prices of games that pretty much everyone who was interested had anyways.  Also from what I remember, most of the Gamecube games were $30  Every other publisher doesn't wait four years to drop the price on their games, months away from unveiling their next console.

Like RolStoppable pointed out, if all interested people will eventually buy the game at full price than what benefit is it to drop the price in the first place?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
kupomogli said:
zorg1000 said:

Like RolStoppable pointed out, if all interested people will eventually buy the game at full price than what benefit is it to drop the price in the first place?

It's a formality.  Nintendo is doing it because they have to.  It's the reason why they do it on the systems death bed.  This way they can squeeze every penny from their fanbase and come out looking like the good guys to those very same people.

d21lewis said:
teigaga said:

loool at people saying legs and quality.

Yes Mario has ever green legs and Nintendo titles aren't as front loaded as other publishers but generally Nintendo maintain their price regardless of sales. Why is Pikmin, donkey kong, windwaker HD, Wonderful 101 etc more expensive then GTA 5 (360), when the later game continues to outsell them?

Clearly Nintendo think its more beneficial to maintain profit margins versus increasing sales with much lower margins profit margins. The only Nintendo games where price cuts would have very little to no effect is mainline Mario, Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. It works for them no doubt, but it would nice to be able to find more bargains of 2 year old software without going 2nd hand.

Go to Gamestop.  I'll wait.

*waits*

Did you see it?  Tons of used copies of games like Call of Duty and GTA.  Virtually no used copies of the big Nintendo franchises.  I got a copy of CoD:AW from a friend and planned to trade it in.  I'm stuck with it because it dropped in value so fast.  The market is flooded for thos game.  Mranwhile, I can trade in a used old Pokemon game for almost full MSRP.  Nintendo doesn't control this.  Demand does.

From some reason, on GS's website the vast majority of the wii u's new and used game prices are oddly very close. If you compare the wii u's games to other consoles, you might not notice it but if you compare the wii u's games to each other, there's something really off about it. Here's some examples of what I mean.

Just to let ya know, I chose mainly older games because I would suspect that a relatively new game's new and used price to be close to each other. There's a mix of third party and first party games.  

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4 

Example 5