By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony still confirms that The Last Guardian is in development.

Still more alive than Agent and Half-Life 3, so at least there's hope!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

I figured it was still development, but I wish they'd just finish this dang game already...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

TruckOSaurus said:
Kerotan said:

Who said it's a man 

The man to woman ratio is 23000:1. I took a chance.

I can't help you anymore than that!  Don't do the lotto any time soon :p

If the game was canceled there would be no real reason to keep saying otherwise.
It's one title, with a likely niche audience, while coming out and saying it's a dead project after all of this time would disappoint those like myself that are still very interested in the game, anyone that is objective knows that concepts don't always end up in working out and if nothing ends up coming of the game then at least we would have closure on the issue.

My personal thoughts on the project, from my outside perspective are that the game is a much bigger project than people think, it's not just the one section of gameplay we've seen, maybe a very intricate world, physics, all kinds of mechanics that were just beyond the PS3's capabilities to pull off with the level of flair that Team ICO wanted and after the game had been attempted on PS3, once the PS4's hardware was finalized the project was moved to that platform.

Shuhei Yoshida has said the game was being re-engineered, so moving to a new platform would constitute re-engineering, expanding beyond one form to another (going from a smallish project, to a far bigger one) would also fit with that definition.

It has taken time for PS4's API to mature enough for the developers to make the game they wanted to make and unless it's the game they want to put out we won't be seeing anything of it, until it is.
Given how capable a system PS4 is, with the ability to pull off as stunning worlds as the likes of The Order I think the time may be almost here for the game to be unveiled again.

I honestly believe we'll be shown new footage of the game, perhaps at GDC, because it is a developer's conference, a place where developers can really talk about their journey in making their games, so it would make sense for TLG to be re-unveiled and for Sony to finally talk about why it has taken so long for the game to be ready for the public.

I get the impression that this game won't be shown off again until it is very close to going gold and nigh on in the perfect state to release it. If not GDC then E3.

As for the whole trademark business, Marty Sliva from IGN has said that when he traveled to Sony Japan to play a Bloodborne early build he did ask about The Last Guardian and it's now being called Trico by the developers, Trico is the name of the Griffin like creature.
Trico could be just the codename for the project, perhaps with Guardian or something closer to the original The Last Guardian being the final name for the title.

I do wonder why the game would have to be called The "Last" Guardian, making it seem quite final, hopefully we'll find out soon, Yoshida has said Sony has a time in mind for when they want to re-introduce the game again, hopefully that means this year as it does seem like a fair few big games will be shown throughout this year, like Guerrilla Games new title Horizon, Gran Turismo 7, Media Molecule's new IP, amongst others.

I suppose we'll find out at some point.

KLAMarine said:
Good to know but have they a target release date in mind at all?

Here's an interview Shuhei Yoshida did with Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-its-time-for-your-latest-update-on-the-last-guardian-again

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AWOL PlayStation exclusive The Last Guardian didn't turn up during Sony's Gamescom press conference this week. Were we expecting it? Perhaps not.

But we had hoped for the Team Ico title to perhaps show up at the Tokyo Game Show in September 2014.

Alas, it doesn't sound like it'll be there, either.

"Will we see it at Tokyo Game Show?" we asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in an interview today.

"I don't think so," was his response. "Sorry."

When will we see it?

"When we are ready. I cannot confirm any timing because we are waiting for it to be in a state where we are happy that this is the game. We have a certain time frame in our mind, and the team is making great progress, but still not to the point that we can say that, here you go."

Yoshida, and other Sony Computer Entertainment executives, are often asked about the status of The Last Guardian, which was announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive five years ago. We last asked Yoshida about The Last Guardian at E3 in June, where it also failed to turn up.

Sony has since insisted the game is still in development. So, what's taking so long?

"The technical issues on PS3 and the way it was engineered didn't work," Yoshida said, echoing comments he's made before. "It worked to some extent, that's why we had a date in mind."

That last comment is a reference to Sony's 2010 announcement of a late 2011 release date for the game.

"That was a mistake," Yoshida admitted, "but at one time it was looking possible. It has been totally re-engineered. They're still working on it. I've been seeing the progress."

Is The Last Guardian now a PlayStation 4 game? It seems inevitable that it is, but Sony isn't saying. The long wait continues.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Around the Network
JustBeingReal said:
KLAMarine said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-its-time-for-your-latest-update-on-the-last-guardian-again

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AWOL PlayStation exclusive The Last Guardian didn't turn up during Sony's Gamescom press conference this week. Were we expecting it? Perhaps not.

But we had hoped for the Team Ico title to perhaps show up at the Tokyo Game Show in September 2014.

"Will we see it at Tokyo Game Show?" we asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in an interview today.

When will we see it?

"When we are ready. I cannot confirm any timing because we are waiting for it to be in a state where we are happy that this is the game. We have a certain time frame in our mind, and the team is making great progress, but still not to the point that we can say that, here you go."

Yoshida, and other Sony Computer Entertainment executives, are often asked about the status of The Last Guardian, which was announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive five years ago. We last asked Yoshida about The Last Guardian at E3 in June, where it also failed to turn up.

Sony has since insisted the game is still in development. So, what's taking so long?

"The technical issues on PS3 and the way it was engineered didn't work," Yoshida said, echoing comments he's made before. "It worked to some extent, that's why we had a date in mind."

That last comment is a reference to Sony's 2010 announcement of a late 2011 release date for the game.

"That was a mistake," Yoshida admitted, "but at one time it was looking possible. It has been totally re-engineered. They're still working on it. I've been seeing the progress."

Is The Last Guardian now a PlayStation 4 game? It seems inevitable that it is, but Sony isn't saying. The long wait continues.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sounds like a nightmare process. Having to repurpose the PS3 sourcecode which has been in development since 2010 or so for the PS4 years later. Such is software development: you spend more time revising code than writing it.

Hmmmmmm
The game is either still actively in development or they switched to a new project quite some time ago....I mean TI hasn´t released a game since SotC, which released in 2005 (dunno if they had anything to do with the 2011 HD port). The Studio hasn´t been shut down and I honestly doubt Sony would pay 10 years of their salaries for.....well nothing^^.
I say stay tuned! We will definitely hear some news about TI´s next game in the near future (wether it´s Last guardian or something else)

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
KLAMarine said:
JustBeingReal said:
KLAMarine said:

When will we see it?

Sounds like a nightmare process. Having to repurpose the PS3 sourcecode which has been in development since 2010 or so for the PS4 years later. Such is software development: you spend more time revising code than writing it.

Yeah, Naughty Dog did say it was an absolute nightmare trying to port The Last of Us over to PS4, because their engine was so heavily optimized, literally down to the binary level for PS3.

TLG may not have gotten to the final optimization stage for release, so it's possible they just built a completely new Engine for PS4 and then built new assets for the game from the ground up, it would obviously depend entirely on how far along the PS3 version of the game was.

The 2010 trailer looked like it was running very solid, although tbh I don't know if that was really running on PS3, more like a PS3 dev kit build, it just looked too good, with way too much going in with all of the movement of Trico's feathers and foliage. Judging by how amazing the trailer looks, even up 'til now if TLG really is on PS4 it'll probably be absolutely stunning. If Sony shows it at E3 it's an instant win for me, if they have the likes of Horizon, GT7 a tonne of other games this year the Internet will explode!

RolStoppable said:
Sunstrider said:

Why is that?

If the game had been finished for the PS3, they would have released it and then put out a remastered version for the PS4 down the road.

Maybe, but also, they could just release it on the PS4 just so they could boost its sales to max as a PS4 release, which could have happened if TLoU was a PS4 exclusive release and not a remaster, but I'm just guessing here, I really wouldn't know the outcome if they did that honestly.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Release date will be announced at E3!