By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has a fanbase ever ruined something for you?

Any fanbase has rotten people, but the thing that really gets a lot of them going is youtube.
Commentchains on youtube, no matter what the topic is, often become so disgustingly toxic and stupid.

On the other hand, passionate fans are cool (as long as it is in celebration, not in crusades). The community can create so much good, cool stuff for others who share the passion. I love that. Fanart, music, merch..

Around the Network
DrasticDracon said:
Whenever something gets way too mainstream and the fanbase becomes ridiculously big, like with TLoU, I begin to like it less for some reason...

Thats called being a hipster :P

OT: Call of Duty was ruined by it's community during MW2 for me, brought in the new crowd full of douches and squeakers that abuse the living shit out of you during the intermission screen. Also the Playstation community and the majority of the Nintendo community seem to ruin a lot of things for me.

the xbox fanbase can be a little goofy sometimes, but instead of their goofy antics ruining things for me i usually just make fun of them.

not on this website though, because i can get banned for that.

Redgrave said:

Or ever done something, or acted in a way that's made you embarrassed to be a fan?

Saw this video a wee while back by the great AlphaOmegaSin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_E62qJApLQ - and thought it would be interesting to see if it had happened to anyone else.

Few examples for me, the way fans acted when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive. From starting campaigns, sending Kamiya and the staff at PlatinumGames death threats, to being waste-the-game stooges online hoping that the game would fail. And it just goes to show that even though a game may have mature content, it doesn't alway guarantee that has a mature audience.

As an old school Nintendo fan, it seems that you can't say anything even slightly negative about anything Nintendo online nowadays without an angry army attacking you, Nintendo are an amazing company with amazing games, the best in my opinion, just a shame that the majority of their fans online are standoffish hipsters.

So how about you?

Has an audience ruined something for me? Hmmm.... the Ratchet and Clank fans were getting there, but since then haven't borthered me. After A Crack in Time, fans clamoured for something new and innovative for the series. A series does have to reinvent itself to stay relavent, but in the case of the fanbase chanting "Co-op" and All 4 One being the end product, I don't believe that is what the fans were deliberating. Thankfully, Into the Nexus calmed the tempest, and peace within the R&C community was restored. Others include the continual competitive mechanics in Call of Duty and borderline paced Call of Duty game play in Halo, but the Ratchet and Clank fans were a bit on the obnoxious side. Not all of course, but some.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

FragilE^ said:
Any fanbase has rotten people, but the thing that really gets a lot of them going is youtube.
Commentchains on youtube, no matter what the topic is, often become so disgustingly toxic and stupid.

On the other hand, passionate fans are cool (as long as it is in celebration, not in crusades). The community can create so much good, cool stuff for others who share the passion. I love that. Fanart, music, merch..

Indeed. However, I believe in addition towards YouTube, other social sites have much worse content, tumble and Reddit being good examples. Otherwise, I agree with your statement. There is good and bad in every community; it is just how much so can alter that fanbases perception of their adored franchise or medium they are attached to. 

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
alternine said:

The Nintendo fanbase has definitely put me off with their constant white knighting and dismissiveness. Wake up. Nintendo(or any gaming company for that matter) doesn't give a damn about you. You're just a dollar sign to them.

Do you intentionally make things easy for me or do you just stumble through threads?

Just a few days ago you took issue with one of my posts where I said that Sony isn't awesome. Why would that bother you when you are just a dollar sign to them anyway?

Go re read my post.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Skullwaker said:
RolStoppable said:

Do you intentionally make things easy for me or do you just stumble through threads?

Just a few days ago you took issue with one of my posts where I said that Sony isn't awesome. Why would that bother you when you are just a dollar sign to them anyway?

I wouldn't expect a reply. Run-and-gunning is common when it comes to posts like that. Sweeping generalizations can never be defended.

Looks like you were wrong :)

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
Looks like you were wrong :)

Curses! Foiled again.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Smash Melee fans. They'll ruin brawl and smash-4 events because of their supposed elitism.

Gotta say that LoU's fans seem to be too big for their britches for me. Naughty Dog in general. Cannot see the appeal of Uncharted other than another white dude exploring stuff.