By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WW HW + SW week ending 31st Jan

DolPhanTendo said:
Once again higher than last year that is all that matters is seeing increase sales also after Captain Toad no major releases sense and won't be until Kirby. Why can't people see the whole picture instead of the numbers? PS4 and XOne has had more releases sense and are doing worse than last year.
What s more surprising is Dying Light not even hitting 300, 000 the first week on a console of 19 million

WHAT?????

It sold 250k first week on the PS4 in the U S of A alone. And that's first week. You honestly can't paint it's sales in a bad light because honestly they're excellent. It only had a digital release in the EU because of a disc malfuntion or something and that will arrive in 2 or 3 weeks. Add in the rest of the world and the coming first week EU launch and you're looking at it selling over 500k week one including digital on the PS4 alone. Not bad for a new IP in the crowded zombie market. 

Around the Network
Jabbamk1 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

No, numbers can be derived from things other than tracking the physical sales for themselves.

For example, if had the number of ice cream cones sold in a particular region for a particular month, you can also derive from that a number relating to how much ice cream was sold. If you know that typically one gallon of ice cream is sold for every 100 cones, and you know that 500 cones have been sold, it would be reasonable to "post" the number that 5 gallons of ice cream was sold. It's an estimate.

We know, for example, that VGChartz uses this methodology for tracking hardware sales. VGChartz algorithms, over the years, have been tweaked so that they know that when the Xbox One sells X units in a particular area, odds are the PS4 has sold Y number.

VGChartz is a small company that tracks global data, it is ludicrous to assume that they get physical numbers in every region for every piece of software, many estimates, particularly of smaller titles that are strongly focused on a lesser-tracked region, will be numbers derived completely from other data sets. They know that if PS4 has X units in A region, and sold Y units more in a particular week, and game of genre P with marketing budget S is released, the odds of that game selling a number is I%.

I wish people understood more about how tracking, in general, works. Even Sony's official "sell through" numbers are complete estimates, as there's no way in hell that every retailer in the world reports back their numbers to Sony. Sony themsleves will derive that number from their shipment figures, the numbers from the retailers that do report, and other factors like the number of new PS4s connected to the Internet that week, etc.

That doesn't explain how you can "track" a game which is one month from release and rank it as the 45th best selling game in the USA for that week. Perhaps you missed the fact that THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET!

Actually it does. If the release date isn't updated in the database - which is the actual error here - and the data sample does not have that game among confirmed sales the algorithm will still estimate sales that the data base tells the algorithm it is on the market. This does nothing to prove the sales estimate system is broken or unreliable. But it does seriously call into question the reliability of the game database management.

If you know how statistical modelling works you'd have understood these things, so whatever you do with the market research business it seems statistical modelling isn't it. Is it bad that vgc has recorded sales for a game that isn't out yet? Yes it's bad. But not for the reasons you are suggesting.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Jabbamk1 said:

That doesn't explain how you can "track" a game which is one month from release and rank it as the 45th best selling game in the USA for that week. Perhaps you missed the fact that THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET!

Actually it does. If the release date isn't updated in the database - which is the actual error here - and the data sample does not have that game among confirmed sales the algorithm will still estimate sales that the data base tells the algorithm it is on the market. This does nothing to prove the sales estimate system is broken or unreliable. But it does seriously call into question the reliability of the game database management.

If you know how statistical modelling works you'd have understood these things, so whatever you do with the market research business it seems statistical modelling isn't it. Is it bad that vgc has recorded sales for a game that isn't out yet? Yes it's bad. But not for the reasons you are suggesting.

The point I'm making is that it's based off no real world data whatsoever (referring to actual DW8:Empires sales). 

What were to happen if the game database did update? Would we have the same number but just it comes out next month? It throws VGChartz entire premise out the window. You can't "track" a product that hasn' been released but it seems VGChartz already has algorithms in place to create numbers out of thin air. 

Anyone claiming VGChartz is a reliable tracker is wrong. It's a bunch of childs guesses. 

Jabbamk1 said:

OMG, you guys. I can't stop laughing.
If you don't know I'm a massive musou fan. I was just browsing Chartz (because one of the users releases COMG Japan pre order numbers there in an easy to read format) and decided to take a look at the numbers they were putting out. Then I noticed the image below-

It shows that "Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires" was the 45th best selling game of the week ending Jan 31st in the USA. Just ahead of Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor.

Except there is just one issue. THE GAME DOESN'T COME OUT TILL THE END OF FEBRUARY! So how the hell have chartz "tracked" this game to place it as the 45th best seller of that week.... when the game hasn't even been released.

I really can't stop laughing at how people keep trusting chartz and posting their numbers as if it's gospel. This is just another bit of proof that chartz make up their numbers....The game was delayed from the date listed on chartz yet they haven't fixed it and have still released "tracked" numbers claiming it's the 45th best seller..... Unbelievable.

Nice catch there. 

It happened twice in May 2014. First they tracked sales of Spiderman (XOne) even though the game was delayed for two weeks.

Then they tracked Borderlands 2 for Vita much higher than Vita sales, even though it was impossible to buy a game standalone, it was only available in a bundle. Yet they showed about 50,000 units difference.

Until then, I had taken VGC numbers more seriously, but after that I consider them all just a guess. They have since overtracked PS4 software sales by more than 10 million units, and not a single month has passed that they haven't been forced to reevaluate their numbers in light of official reports. 

Sometimes they guess better than other times, but that is all it is - a guess. And shouod be used only as a material for discussion between official announcements.

Burek said:

Jabbamk1 said:

OMG, you guys. I can't stop laughing.
If you don't know I'm a massive musou fan. I was just browsing Chartz (because one of the users releases COMG Japan pre order numbers there in an easy to read format) and decided to take a look at the numbers they were putting out. Then I noticed the image below-

It shows that "Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires" was the 45th best selling game of the week ending Jan 31st in the USA. Just ahead of Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor.

Except there is just one issue. THE GAME DOESN'T COME OUT TILL THE END OF FEBRUARY! So how the hell have chartz "tracked" this game to place it as the 45th best seller of that week.... when the game hasn't even been released.

I really can't stop laughing at how people keep trusting chartz and posting their numbers as if it's gospel. This is just another bit of proof that chartz make up their numbers....The game was delayed from the date listed on chartz yet they haven't fixed it and have still released "tracked" numbers claiming it's the 45th best seller..... Unbelievable.

Nice catch there. 

It happened twice in May 2014. First they tracked sales of Spiderman (XOne) even though the game was delayed for two weeks.

Then they tracked Borderlands 2 for Vita much higher than Vita sales, even though it was impossible to buy a game standalone, it was only available in a bundle. Yet they showed about 50,000 units difference.

Until then, I had taken VGC numbers more seriously, but after that I consider them all just a guess. They have since overtracked PS4 software sales by more than 10 million units, and not a single month has passed that they haven't been forced to reevaluate their numbers in light of official reports. 

Sometimes they guess better than other times, but that is all it is - a guess. And shouod be used only as a material for discussion between official announcements.

of course they are. after the official trackers give their numbers they are always ajusted to match them pretty closely. vgchartz is a great source of info after adjustments have been made. 

Around the Network

Those wii u numbers are terrible. In the UK there has been serious discounting of stock and yet those numbers are awful. It seems the wii u has had some serious non official price drops to maintain similar numbers to last year if the same is happening in other markets.

PS3 deserves to sell more, far superior range of software, blu-ray movie playback and the brilliant value of psn plus. The console itself in many ways is more powerful than wii u. The cpu is probably 4x as powerful and there is more memory bandwidth in the memory chips themselves. It also benefits from a fast sata hard drive to stream data at high speed in addition to its optical drive. Add to that full support for surround with 7.1 soundtracks in games etc plus a decent controller. Yes the wii u has a superior gpu, more memory and that 32MB of fast embedded memory but the ps3 is still very competitive in hardware and where games exist on both consoles they are generally better on ps3 than wii u. I say that as a wii u owner with both connected to a projector. It's clear to see the ps3 outperforms the wii u most of the time. Nintendo really set the bar low this generation.

It's hard to recommend the wii u with its limited software library and weak performance. I honestly see this year as a decline year for wii u unless NIntendo can do something. A real shame.

Jabbamk1 said:
binary solo said:

The point I'm making is that it's based off no real world data whatsoever (referring to actual DW8:Empires sales). 

What were to happen if the game database did update? Would we have the same number but just it comes out next month? It throws VGChartz entire premise out the window. You can't "track" a product that hasn' been released but it seems VGChartz already has algorithms in place to create numbers out of thin air. 

Anyone claiming VGChartz is a reliable tracker is wrong. It's a bunch of childs guesses. 

You're really showing a lack of understanding here. If vgc gets actual game sales data from 20 retail locations in the country and none of those locations record a single sale for, let's say, sunset Overdrive does that mean vgc should record SO sales for that week as zero? Of course not, because there are thousands of retail stores in the country and some of them will have sold SO. The algorithm uses various statistical techniques to estimate game sales for thousands of games for which no direct sales data is available. That's not child's guesses, it's actually sophisticated statistical processing. The basis of your complaint is groundless because you're aiming your critique at the wrong flaw in the system. The flaw in the system is that the game database scheduled the release date for this game wrongly and thus the algorithm picked up that game as requiring a sales estimate. The algorithm relies on the database having a correct launch date to trigger when sales estimates should start. If you get the input information wrong then the information coming out is bad. The QA on base game metadata is at fault here, not the algorithm used to create sales estimates. 

The fact is no one is under any illusion that game sales numbers are at all accurate. There are too many games and not a big enough sampling plan to yield highly reliable figures. But getting the launch date of a game wrong and thus creating an obvoliously incorrect sales number for it proves nothing about the accuracy of the system to estimate sales.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

So X1 absolutely outselling the PS4 in the US might not be absolute after all.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
So X1 absolutely outselling the PS4 in the US might not be absolute after all.

after NPD it should be pretty clear that PS4 will outsell it unil November just like last year

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Burek said:
Kinda anticlimactic after yesterday's NPD.

PS4 doing well, XOne losing ground after being overtracked for the whole month.

PS3 very close to X360 in the US after NPD report, finally ending the insane overtracking of X360 in the US where it's over by about 2 million.

WiiU also showed overtracking, so it gets bumped down. Vita all of a sudden getting a US boost as well.

At least WiiU has some games to look forward to in the upcoming months that might help it get out of the funk, XOne will just keep dropping as it has no notable games...even multiplats are either lackluster or skewing heavily toward PS4. Rough times ahead for MS.

This