By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 5 console games that defined last generation

JayWood2010 said:
A lot of it can be argued, but without a doubt Gears, Wii Sports, and Call of Duty 4 should be on that list

I thought about Gears for my list, but came to the conclution that Cod4 became a much bigger more iconic game, plus it was multiplat, so it defines more broadly how more people experienced the generation.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
JayWood2010 said:

I thought about Gears for my list, but came to the conclution that Cod4 became a much bigger more iconic game, plus it was multiplat, so it defines more broadly how more people experienced the generation.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712864/how-gears-of-war-changed-video-games/?cmpid=sn-110418-facebook-28-fbfantrack

Gears has had a huge impact on games and has defined third person shooters and cover mechanics.    It not only defined what a great third person shooter was but spanned across games all across the industry including Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc  Call of Duty got the whole modern military focus going, perks, and twitch gameplay. Endless games have a lot of influence from these two games. Both are on respected levels which is why i said both without a doubt should be included

Nintendogs and DOTA im not so sure about. 

JayWood2010 said:
A lot of it can be argued, but without a doubt Gears, Wii Sports, and Call of Duty 4 should be on that list

Yeah I was going to do a top 10 at first but I honestly couldn't figure out anything past 7-8 (my original 6 was Uncharted 2 and 7 was Street Fighter IV). But really it's Gears, Call of Duty, and Wii Sports that are the big 3 that defined last gen gaming. That's why I added a top 5 to see what people thought the other 2 were.

Super Mario Galaxy
Halo 3
Uncharted
Wii Sports
Gears of War

Uncharted- Set the standard for big budget games and is responsible for inspiring many other games including the rebirth of Tomb Raider, Last of us, The Order, Star Wars 1313 and many other games.

COD- Set the standard for twitch shooting on consoles.

Mass Effect- Set the standard intertwining the decision making process overa trilogy of games. Also set the standard for TPS/ARPG hybrids.

Assassins Creed- Set the standard alternative open world after Grand Theft Auto.

The Walking Dead- Set the standard for story driven choice based experiences

Honorable mention: Gears of War (much like Uncharted) for influencing many games with its coverbased mechanics.

Around the Network

vampire rain
GTA
TLOU
Mario G

McDonaldsGuy said:
JayWood2010 said:

Nah i liked youre other two choices :)  Thought Gemoetry wars was an interesting pick, but indie games had to start from somewhere.

Maybe somebody could argue Shadow Complex since that was, at least in my experience, the first downloadable game with big production values. Before, it was just puzzles, arcade games, and ports of older games. Shadow Complex had a retail game feel in a downloadable candy shell.

Areym said:

Wii Sports? I can agree to all of the rest but no wii sports, seeing how motion gaming is on it's last legs. EDIT: I see your point now, about making gaming much more mainstream. Still, I'm not convinced it deserves the praise it gets outside of that.

It's not about what revolutionized gaming forever. It's about what defined last generation. Wii Sports absolutely defined the 7th gen.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Super Mario Galaxy, GTAV, Minecraft, Skyrim, and Wii Sports in no particular order

bet: lost