By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDIT: The position has been filled (I bet the next Ninty console will be close to or less than PS4 in power)

Tagged games:

WolfpackN64 said:
Their next console will be significantly more powerful than the PS4

So you'll take the bet? :p

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

To be honest even as is, Nintendo's games look great on the Wii U. It's not like the Wii/PS3/360 era where going from the PS3 to the Wii was like getting cold water thrown on you. 

Mario Kart 8 and the Zelda walk through still look really great to me even after playing PS4/XB1 games for hours. 

For their own needs Nintendo doesn't really need hardware much more powerful. 

Exactly. If they had more power, they could technically aim for 1080p, or a higher frame rate, or other things -- but I think the real limitation is on the costs of those enhancements, not the power required to reach them. I think that for most games Nintendo would prefer to use 720p assets, as 1080p textures simply take more time and money to make, and so on. At least for the immediate future.

Couple this with their recent efforts to directly court third-parties and I think you have Nintendo's next-gen strategy outlined. Low-power, low-cost hardware, lots of exclusive software made and funded by Nintendo themselves.

That's actually a very interesting point. 

I guess the problem would be, can they risk getting stuck with the "underpowered" stigma again?

Outside of better performance in it's exclusives, the Wii-U hasn't shown to be that much more powerful than PS3/ 360, so it wouldn't shock me.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Totally agree with this. Nintendo will do the same as this gen... Let's see how that will work out for them.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

It'll be at least somewhat more powerful. PS4 and Xbox One aren't particularly powerful machines. The limitations of the consoles can be seen already.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Their next console will be significantly more powerful than the PS4

Sure, whatfor?

WolfpackN64 said:
curl-6 said:

Sure, whatfor?

EDIT; 1 month sig + avatar control?

Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:
I find that to be *extremely* unlikely. Even the Wii, the epitome of the "light on power, high on unique traits" was 100% more powerful than the Gamecube, making it noticeably more powerful than the Xbox. Just not nearly as noticeably more powerful as the Xbox 360. Plus, making a console that is a good bit more powerful than the PS4 by 2017 or 2018 wouldn't even be expensive. So no, highly unlikely.

It wasn't actually. The Wii was a 50% overclock of the GameCube (CPU and GPU) with triple the RAM. 

Nintendo basically charged 2.5x the price of the GameCube for a system that was moderately overclocked and had a different controller in the box. lol. 

Consumers sometimes ... dress something up in a shiny new package and sometimes they fall for it. 

Closer to reality than many realize. 

It wasn't broadly disseminated, but the original goal for the Wii was to be able to set the MSRP at $99 on launch, making the controller and of course the software interface, the only significant changes to the previous generation.

This seems to be a bit too convoluted to make an actual bet. What constitutes being more powerful, and how more powerful would it have to be for someone to be considered a winner? I would easily predict all Nintendo's next gen releases (1st party only due to third parties literally taking huge dumps on Wii U's ports I expect next gen to be no different) to be native 1080p 60fps solid. and while that's still technically better than what PS4/Xbone was able to pull off for the most part so far.

I just need a bit more elaboration on how far more advanced Nintendo's next console would have to be for someone to win. What I may consider a big leap forward you may not.

bigtakilla said:
This seems to be a bit too convoluted to make an actual bet. What constitutes being more powerful, and how more powerful would it have to be for someone to be considered a winner? I would easily predict all Nintendo's next gen releases (1st party only due to third parties literally taking huge dumps on Wii U's ports I expect next gen to be no different) to be native 1080p 60fps solid. and while that's still technically better than what PS4/Xbone was able to pull off for the most part so far.

I just need a bit more elaboration on how far more advanced Nintendo's next console would have to be for someone to win. What I may consider a big leap forward you may not.

A sufficient difference would be, for example, the difference from 360 to Xbone. Or maybe Dreamcast to original Xbox.