By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDIT: The position has been filled (I bet the next Ninty console will be close to or less than PS4 in power)

Tagged games:

Well, i hope so.

Around the Network

It will be more powerfull than PS4

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
It will be more powerfull than PS4

If it's just slightly more powerful than the PS4, like the Wii U is to the PS3/360, the same exact thing will repeat. 

Unless they have a gimmick controller that saves them again, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen. That's not something you can just snap your fingers and order up like a plate of french fries. 

Wii was lightning in a bottle, one of those things that happens once every 30 years. It's not going to happen again for a long time. 

The other problem with making a controller the basis of your console is that anyone can copy a controller. Analog stick, rumble pak, Wiimote (Move/Kinect) were all copied and there's nothing you can do about it. Once its copied it ceases to be a special function, it becomes normalized. 

Even if the Wii U tablet was a hit feature with gamers, the problem is Sony/MS would've immediately copied it (and not waited 3 years either), you could see Sony was already even kinda hedging against it with the touch panel on the PS4 controller and they were rumored to have experimented with a touchscreen on the controller too. Both also offered some form remote play as well. 

That's a fool's bet. I don't expect their next console to be anywhere near the PS4 in terms of raw power. It'll probably be barely more powerful than the Wii U, since they've proven that has all the power they need to make the games they want to make.

Basically Nintendo's next-gen console will be to the Wii U what the New 3DS is to the 3DS... with a better name, god willing.

the_dengle said:

That's a fool's bet. I don't expect their next console to be anywhere near the PS4 in terms of raw power. It'll probably be barely more powerful than the Wii U, since they've proven that has all the power they need to make the games they want to make.

Basically Nintendo's next-gen console will be to the Wii U what the New 3DS is to the 3DS... with a better name, god willing.

To be honest even as is, Nintendo's games look great on the Wii U. It's not like the Wii/PS3/360 era where going from the PS3 to the Wii was like getting cold water thrown on you. 

Mario Kart 8 and the Zelda walk through still look really great to me even after playing PS4/XB1 games for hours. 

For their own needs Nintendo doesn't really need hardware much more powerful. 

I mean yeah FFXV probably looks more detailed, but its not like Xenoblade X looks like garbage or I can't possibly play it now. It looks pretty too. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

To be honest even as is, Nintendo's games look great on the Wii U. It's not like the Wii/PS3/360 era where going from the PS3 to the Wii was like getting cold water thrown on you. 

Mario Kart 8 and the Zelda walk through still look really great to me even after playing PS4/XB1 games for hours. 

For their own needs Nintendo doesn't really need hardware much more powerful. 

Exactly. If they had more power, they could technically aim for 1080p, or a higher frame rate, or other things -- but I think the real limitation is on the costs of those enhancements, not the power required to reach them. I think that for most games Nintendo would prefer to use 720p assets, as 1080p textures simply take more time and money to make, and so on. At least for the immediate future.

Couple this with their recent efforts to directly court third-parties and I think you have Nintendo's next-gen strategy outlined. Low-power, low-cost hardware, lots of exclusive software made and funded by Nintendo themselves.

If they go the Fusion route I'm 100% certain they won't bother making it nearly as powerful as PS4, what with their focus on getting back to making profits. It'll be powerful enough to play the games in HD (1080p) and at the same framerate as the handheld version, maybe with some extra anti-aliasing and other added effects, but not much more than that. That way they save the time and effort (and money) they would've spent making textures and models that take full advantage of more powerful hardware.

Nintendo has been dropping hints for a while now, that they want to "tear down the barrier" with the relationship to TVs, (wii u gamepad) also making the box "invisible" (wii u console tucked away in adverts). The big N at heart, is a handheld focused company that loves to innovate in controls/how to play. Nintendo has considered the console box evil and yucky (IOW, expensive) for the last two gens, they are not making a comeback to that model as long as MSony are both around.

In fact Nintendo likely thinks the Wii U is also fat and ugly, they'd love to go digital or disc free. Ninty aims to be sleek, small as possible/blend in and just focus purely on the games. Talking power, it is pretty much guaranteed to be weaker than PS4, and it'll be lucky to sniff XB1 level to be honest. Nintendo will focus on 1080p/60 (forget 4k) for their main artstyle, so you can guess how much power they really need.

Soundwave mentioned for the Fusion idea, the console version can simply stack a few of the HH's chips. This should bring manufacturing costs down giving Nintendo a better contract, so there is potential for decent mobile grunt by '16-17. So let's say 3 HH mobile chips stacked in the home con. Now, you have to be realistic, how powerful would the HH be? The most generous prediction has been Wii U level. So Wii U x 3 would be near 1 tflop or still short of XB1.

It's all about profits for Nintendo this next gen, I doubt they get too funky with the extras, they'll definitely be making money out the gate and going mobile tech & same chipset for all their HW (could be more than 2 types) will help achieve that goal.

No wonder you're 3 for 3 if you get people to take bets like that! It's just enough to get a sucker

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I was under the impression that that was the only thing we knew for certain about the next system. I can't see them abandoning the value over power strategy.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9