By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Three Muslim students killed at North Carolina campus

badgenome said:
BMaker11 said:

It's the top story now, because it blew up on social media with people saying "hey, why isn't this being reported on?". The event happened yesterday, and it wasn't "breaking news" or anything (except for local news). Whereas things like....Anders Brehvik, Ferguson, Malaysia airlines missing, etc. were instantaneous headlines.

Which indicates that it's not about an agenda. The media only has one agenda, and that is grabbing eyeballs. If something is blowing up on social media, they'll report on it because they think it's something that interests people enough to watch.

But otherwise, why should this be a national news story? This isn't the largest spree killing in history, nor a midwestern town in flames, nor the disappearance of a couple hundred people. It's three random people you've never heard of before being murdered, which, sadly, is not all that uncommon.

i gotta agree here.  no one (not even the OP) is reporting this as a hate crime specifically against muslims.   one article suggests it may have been a parking dispute.   sorry but i live in chicago and we have at least 1 murder a day and most of them for more interesting reasons than a "parking dispute".   sorry but this isn't news except to those that want to push an agenda.

a hate crime would be national newsworthy but not this. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Smeags said:

*checks front pages of news sites*

That said, pretty horrified as a fellow North Carolinian (Chapel Hill is a few hours away). Such irrational and hate filled violence. Sad.

More or less resolves this thread, i suppose.

The complaint article was published at 4:30am! You mean that news outlets didn't have a story out while their reporters were sleeping?!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

walsufnir said:
Were they killed because they are muslims or was it just 3 people who happened to be muslims?

The man's motives for killing them are irrelevant and subjective. The real debate is the reason this story wasn't covered by the mainstream.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

thegamerpad said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I bet if the shooter were Muslim, the news would be talking about it for weeks.

Probably, to see if there was any ties to ISIS or any terrorist group...that would be a legit reason.

You don't have to be muslim to be a terrorist.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

BMaker11 said:

A lot of news stories shouldn't make national headlines. But the disdain for this case "not being reported" on actually is, in fact, about an agenda, or so the people complaining claim it is.

You can sell race baiting. You can sell "intolerance" (referencing gay marriage, for example). You can't sell Muslims being victims. No, they're the "enemy" and are, statistically, one of the most distrusted groups in America. And the situation makes white people look bad, if this guy really did kill them because they are Muslim. The culmination of that is the agenda: if Muslims are the perpetrators, they're terrorists, Islam is to blame, etc; if the victims are Muslim....ignore it. Because that would shake up the status quo and show that Muslims, by and large, are good people. 

I think you're confusing simple bias with having an agenda. The media prefers stories that tie into larger stories or fit neatly into an existing template because, well, they're lazy. Since there is a long established pattern of individual Muslims displaying sudden jihad syndrome, in the absence of any facts they have a lot more to talk about in the meantime, and ever since 9/11 terrorism has proven to be ratings gold. So of course any such incident is likely to be instant news. But it's rare that any significant terrorist attack isn't followed shortly thereafter by a report on how the local Muslim community fears a backlash, so I don't agree at all that Muslims are generally tarred with one brush or viewed as always being the enemy by the media.

In this case the assumption is that this would have been big news if the killer were Muslim (which it might have been, for the reasons above) or if the victims weren't Muslim (which we'll never know as there's no way to prove that), and we've instead ended up with a situation where this is a national story precisely because the victims are Muslim even though it seems to have nothing to do with why they were killed.

Around the Network
thegamerpad said:
FentonCrackshell said:
thegamerpad said:
FentonCrackshell said:
"You peope" can minimize the lack of reporting all you want but if a Muslim person would've killed 3 non-Muslim young people it definitely would've made national news. We all know the media has an agenda. It's the same way they report white kids gunning down blacks but no reports when whites are gunned down by cops. It's the same way they'll show blacks rioting in the streets but don't show whites doing it. They know what sells. They know what will get people riled up and angry. Not talking about 3 innocent, young, murdered Muslims won't get the bubbas in a tizzy like if 1 Muslim were to kill 3 young whites in the name of Allah.

Nearly every instance of a crime will be national news one way but be an obscure link in the bottom-right corner of a web page in another. Natalie Holloway was a pretty, smart blonde who went missing and was murdered in Aruba and to this day it's still news. Stepha Henry was a pretty, smart black girl who went missing in Miami and was found murdered. CNN bumped the interview about Stepha Henry with the Miami police chief because they needed the space to report that Paris Hilton was to begin her 3 day stint in jail. Young men of all ages and races go missing everyday. No mention of them anywhere outside of the Walmart bulletin board. But Madeline McCann, a European toddler, goes missing in Europe and our U.S. news stations carry it like nothing else matters. So yeah, this story would've been minimized no matter what. Keep telling yourself that.

Just curious, give me an incident where white people were rioting in the US and it wasn't reported?  Also, as the post above yours said...this is on all the major news sites.  It's the top story on CNN  lol

There's the top story on a website. And then there's round the clock coverage with panels of pundits, people who've had nothing to do with the occurence being asked to denounce the offender, "expert" analysis, etc. You think anyone is gonna lsbel this culprit a "terrorist' and say that everyone like him need to not be allowed in America? Nope! 

And as far as the white people riots go, you not knowing that there have been many instances only proves my point. Feel free to use Google. I won't do your work for you. 

You're not doing my work for me, you're not doing your own work...which is sources and backing up your claims.  Otherwise you're just spitting nonsense that you can't even back up, which means you've already gotten too much attention for your little rant you can't back up

Another user read my post and provided a link to such events. He even posted much later than you did. Googling isn't hard. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
thegamerpad said:

Probably, to see if there was any ties to ISIS or any terrorist group...that would be a legit reason.

Yeah, i don't know why you needed to clarify that.  Never said you have to be Muslim to be a terrorist, and never said you have to be a Terrorist to be Muslim.

it's just like the Boston Bomber when they tried to figure out if he had any radical ties, they always try to investigate if other parties are involved.  And a big group like ISIS is more attention grabbing than any other smaller lesser known group.

I'm done with this.  This is a video game site, and people here are stepping out of what they know to make some sort of statement/controversy on things they're not informed about.  I don't come to this site for this crap, so have fun guys

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
thegamerpad said:

Seems only Muslims are characterized as such. When some guy bombs an abortion clinic they don't splatter "terrorist" all over it. When some dumb ass from PETA decides that an animal is more important than a person and decided to burn down a building the word "terrorist" isn't in the mainstream. Don't get me wrong, Muslim terrorists deserve to be called as such. But to ignorant people the word has almost become synonymous with Muslims. I don't recall many calling the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bomber as a terrorist. Sure some did, but it wasn't a mainstay in the narrative. 

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
walsufnir said:
Were they killed because they are muslims or was it just 3 people who happened to be muslims?

The man's motives for killing them are irrelevant and subjective. The real debate is the reason this story wasn't covered by the mainstream.

As to my question early in the thread, so nicely answered by many people. Murder in the UK makes the news mostly, if it was by gun, it most certainly will. Yet we have a far lower homercide number (and rate) than the US. The man's motives do matter in the case of news coverage however, a crime of passion murder is probably less likely to make the news than a man killing someone people because of their faith.

Hmm, pie.

thegamerpad said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Yeah, i don't know why you needed to clarify that.  Never said you have to be Muslim to be a terrorist, and never said you have to be a Terrorist to be Muslim.

it's just like the Boston Bomber when they tried to figure out if he had any radical ties, they always try to investigate if other parties are involved.  And a big group like ISIS is more attention grabbing than any other smaller lesser known group.

I'm done with this.  This is a video game site, and people here are stepping out of what they know to make some sort of statement/controversy on things they're not informed about.  I don't come to this site for this crap, so have fun guys

You're correct. But you're also one of the most active posters in this thread. Maybe you did come here for this?