By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U will never beat PS Vita! (real sales)

Zelda possibly will. The rest likely wont. And im pretty sure that Zelda will sell consoles.

With a bigger number of exclusives Nintendo might do well. If Wii U finally gets a real price cut it might do better than 2014.
And Smash Bros 3DS definitely hurt Wii U sales.

Around the Network

WiiU will sell 16m at the best.

Vita could sell more or less, likely more since it will last much longer ( last handheld from Sony )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

And why does the last Handheld from Sony have to last longer?

Actually Sony could stop producing Vita within the next few month as well as in a few years.

It's cheap right now because it uses components that are still standard, though slowly are getting outdated. A complete refresh might be to expensive at one point because of low sales. Producing outdated hardware gets expensive at some point as well though.
Games for Vita will get less at some point as well.

So there's actually zero guarentee that Vita will last longer. No guarantee that it lasts shorter as well.

That will depend on costs and incomes.

Aerys said:
WiiU will sell 16m at the best.

Vita could sell more or less, likely more since it will last much longer ( last handheld from Sony )

I'm not so sure about that. I think Vita in North America at least will start to get liquidated from US storeshelves anyway as 2015 goes on. It's just selling way too low, retailers are probably getting fed up with it as is. 

Even in Japan, Vita is pretty much completely fuxxored when Nintendo launches the 3DS successor which will have most likely an even better chipset (so there goes the main advantage it had over the 3DS). And I think that's coming sooner than some people think. 

Funny how Vita have more support on 3rd party games in Japan then 3DS despite having a small unit sales then Wii U.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

Damn, that's quite high! But as pointed out by another user here, Wii U also have digital sales, albeit probably not as high a percentage as on the Vita. Couple that with all the accessories for Wii U (controllers and Amiibos) I think it's safe to asume Wii U is making more money for Nintendo than Vita for Sony. Let's not forget that most games on Vita are 3rd party games, which means less money for Sony than from a 1st party game. On the other hand, most Wii U games are 1st party games made by Nintendo, which means more money than from a 3rd party game.

And as far as I know, Nintendo are now making a profit from the Wii U HW, but I can't be sure of course. But let's not forget that Sony lost money on the Vita as well.

So all in all, by the end, I think Wii U will have been a more profitable venture for Nintendo than Vita will have been for Sony. Both are massive failures though. I canät imagine either company being happy with the consoles.

I think the big difference between Wii U and Vita with digital sales, besides the cross buy aspect etc. is that Wii U's big titles are all physical releases, whilst a lot of the Vita's software is digital exclusive.

Sony didn't lose money on Vita sales at launch though. I'm pretty sure the figures showed that they were selling units around break even (definitely break even once a memory card was bought) and they didn't do any price cuts in the first year despite the lacklustre sales so it was clear they had decided to make profit margins key through the Vita. Also the R&D was part of the PS4 development which means this will also have been lower than the Wii U's.

I appreciate that first party software brings in more money, however you also have development costs for it whilst all the 3rd party software coming out on Vita is pure royalties and physical has much higher retailer and wholesale cuts + distribution to chuck into the mix whilst digital again, they just get 30% of every sale without putting a penny in themselves.

Obviously we'll probably never actually know so this is all speculation, but I do think the Vita will end it's life having generated more profit than the Wii U :)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Lets face it the left shark from the Superbowl has more support in the US than Vita. If Sony believed in the device they would have added more features instead of taking them away and would have added more western games. But I still stand behind my belief that the excruciatingly high proprietary memory and PS+ killed the Vita.

Blob said:
mikerox what games are coming out for 2015 that will satisfy vita owners? im generally curious as the only game I know I want, digimon, still doesnt have a western release date.

Depends what you want really. The games that come West tend to get sprung out of no where often with a week or so's notice that they're going to be launched on PSN. I think that's probably a big part of the ignorance towards the software actually coming out on the system.

I'm enjoying Baboon! and Kick and Fennick at the moment. Want to get Grim Fandango remastered too but can't afford it at the moment haha as I just shelled out importing DJ MAX TECHNIKA TUNE while there ar still US copies floating around.

Really depends what sort of games you play though, there's plenty of JRPGs and a few Visual Novels as well as Musou. Think outside Japanese and LEGO games now you pretty much need to look towards the indie end of the spectrum though. But I'm okay with that as the likes of Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami etc are some of the best portable games ever released.

I've also got a huge backlog on software so there's probably quite a lot already out that you've missed. Found a pretty good video of someone's favourite 50 Vita games between 2012-2014:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6j7aT6m2dkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/FaRXE8_13YQ incase it doesn't embed.

and 50 best Indie Vita games between 2012-2014:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6j7aT6m2dkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/6j7aT6m2dkk

I'd suggest the people saying there isn't much/no variety etc on Vita actually take a look at them, but I'm sure the same old rhetoric will continue.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Give the Wii U until this year is over. This will be such a big year for Nintendo.

Dr.Vita said:
Thank you all for the great discussion, my goal was to make everyone attentive that the Vita is massivly undertracked in this site and my strategy worked very good a lot people read this thread (hopefully ioi too). I don't wanted to make fun of the Wii U (which some thought) but with the Wii U and the Vita in a comparison more people would have read this thread. Wii U and PS Vita are both great consoles imo!!!

Holy Smokes, Doc! What have you done? XD XD XD