By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon US february monthly bestsellers and general Amazon based discussion

walsufnir said:
Protendo said:

LAWL. That's the problem with not being a native English speaker!  I missinterprut things all the time. This is great practice for me, and one of the reasons I enjoy the forums! That beign said, I am glad to see Xbox doing well. I believe it benefits both Sony and Microsoft when things get competitive, as they try harder.  

Being in the tech industry, I know that DDR3 prices are attroucious, and I have to report price fluctions every time I make kan order as a buyer. GDDR5 is something we don't really order, but I can see that prices are going down. I do know that GDDR5 has advantages over DDR4, and DDR4 has completely eclipsed DDR3 in every way, and our new technlogy no longer uses DDR3, that is why DDR3 is considerred legacy technology. It's getting phased out by new technology. At least DDR4 prices are going down.

Perhaps I should make it even more clear: MS and Sony buy chips. And only the chips, not ready to market for consumer pluggable DDR3-"bars". The main difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 is especially the controllers that are used, not the chips themselves (and of course things like voltage and so on). That said, Sony and MS are aware of price fluctuations, that is why such companies have long term contracts. Again, where does Sony buy their XDR RAM for their PS3? I can't find it in any store... Well, they have a (long term) contract that ensures prices and availability, same applies to MS and Xbox 360.

But as we don't know the details of these deals we can't infer any prices based on RAM for both consoles but we can say that fluctuations in RAM prices don't have an effect on console prices.

"Meanwhile, Microsoft is also looking at other ways to streamline the Xbox One design. The company appears to be investigating new memory technologies, advertising for an electronic engineeer whose responsibilities include "development of the memory subsystem" and evaluating "different solution options for performance, functionality, stability, cost and risk for the memory subsystem within the platform."

Microsoft is specifically looking for someone with familiarity of existing DDR3 and DDR4 memory technology, suggesting that this position is more about revising the current-gen Xbox as opposed to developing any successor. Top-end 2133MHz DDR3 is currently utilised in Xbox One, but a move across to DDR4 makes sense when the time is right - if only for reasons of economy - although making the switch would require considerable engineering effort."

This wouldn't be happening if Microsoft was locked into the "inexpensive" price. Microsoft wouldn't need to be hiring people to change the memory type, if the price hasn't increased or wasn't going to increase soon.

Around the Network
Protendo said:
walsufnir said:

Perhaps I should make it even more clear: MS and Sony buy chips. And only the chips, not ready to market for consumer pluggable DDR3-"bars". The main difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 is especially the controllers that are used, not the chips themselves (and of course things like voltage and so on). That said, Sony and MS are aware of price fluctuations, that is why such companies have long term contracts. Again, where does Sony buy their XDR RAM for their PS3? I can't find it in any store... Well, they have a (long term) contract that ensures prices and availability, same applies to MS and Xbox 360.

But as we don't know the details of these deals we can't infer any prices based on RAM for both consoles but we can say that fluctuations in RAM prices don't have an effect on console prices.

"Meanwhile, Microsoft is also looking at other ways to streamline the Xbox One design. The company appears to be investigating new memory technologies, advertising for an electronic engineeer whose responsibilities include "development of the memory subsystem" and evaluating "different solution options for performance, functionality, stability, cost and risk for the memory subsystem within the platform."

Microsoft is specifically looking for someone with familiarity of existing DDR3 and DDR4 memory technology, suggesting that this position is more about revising the current-gen Xbox as opposed to developing any successor. Top-end 2133MHz DDR3 is currently utilised in Xbox One, but a move across to DDR4 makes sense when the time is right - if only for reasons of economy - although making the switch would require considerable engineering effort."

This wouldn't be happening if Microsoft was locked into the "inexpensive" price. Microsoft wouldn't need to be hiring people to change the memory type, if the price hasn't increased or wasn't going to increase soon.

You know, usually one tries to counter arguments in a post so to make an argument for themselves but that seems to be not your style.

But let's take a look at what you posted... If you read this text carefully, there is only "memory subsystem" mentioned. This could also mean the ESRAM (by far one of the most expensive parts in the APU and the APU itself one of the main drivers for cost in the system) or the DDR3 controller. This doesn't necessarily mean DDR3 ram is going to be exchanged for DDR4 ram. Especially considering that, if it was only cost, DDR4 ram would have to behave _exactly_ like the DDR4 ram before, which is unlikely. Different timings, different bandwidth, different access patterns would break compatibility with existent games and I highly doubt this is what MS is having in mind.

Btw, do you have a source link for that quote?

walsufnir said:
Protendo said:

You know, usually one tries to counter arguments in a post so to make an argument for themselves but that seems to be not your style.

But let's take a look at what you posted... If you read this text carefully, there is only "memory subsystem" mentioned. This could also mean the ESRAM (by far one of the most expensive parts in the APU and the APU itself one of the main drivers for cost in the system) or the DDR3 controller. This doesn't necessarily mean DDR3 ram is going to be exchanged for DDR4 ram. Especially considering that, if it was only cost, DDR4 ram would have to behave _exactly_ like the DDR4 ram before, which is unlikely. Different timings, different bandwidth, different access patterns would break compatibility with existent games and I highly doubt this is what MS is having in mind.

The job postings also specifically state DDR4 at the time before they were taken down.

It was from eurogamer.net but you can easily find others. I remember it also being semi-confirmed on neogaf as well. Granted I don't know how accurate mod-verified posters truly are.

Protendo said:
walsufnir said:

The job postings also specifically state DDR4 at the time before they were taken down.

Ok, I think this is a good point to end this useless discussion. Maybe next time!

titanfall for 6 bucks.... so tempting...

Around the Network
Insidb said:
I wonder if Amazon will do the bundle again or if that is an automated response; it's hard to tell if Amazon had a sales threshold in mind that they hit or not.

Looks like the only reason they took it down was because they ran out of Wolfenstein. If they get in a new shipment of the game the deal will probably go back up.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Think people are putting too much emphasis on the new X1 bundle. Even if X1 sneaks past PS4 on the monthly, if this is still Amazon only, NPD will have the same result it already was going to have.

celador said:
Think people are putting too much emphasis on the new X1 bundle. Even if X1 sneaks past PS4 on the monthly, if this is still Amazon only, NPD will have the same result it already was going to have.

Yup, 3DS on top.

When the XBO offers will end, Zelda will back in TOP 5.

celador said:

My XBO prediction was 225,000 before the Amazon bundle.

Now my prediction is 230,000 to 240,000, possible even more.