By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How to improve the Wii brand?

Tagged games:

Nintendo Land is the Wii brand improvement Nintendo went for, and it is a better game just not as new or viral as Wii Sports was.

Wii Sports Club retail version should have never existed, the game's only main advantage with its predecesor is online play which goes hand-in-hand with the digital title. The pedometer was the only addition for WiiFit U; they had an offer last year when you coupled a Fit Meter you could keep the trial version forever (and that's what I did). Yes, both of these low sellling retail games had trial digital versions.

I do like your take on Wii Sports, but I would have continued with Wii Sports Resort and gone for Wii Sports Land via the Go Vacation route. Add new sports and maybe make some interesting uses of the Gamepad when they add something, but let people free to roam around Wuhu Island!

I've talked about Wii Sports Land before, that together with Big Brain series and Art AcademyWhich takes us to Art Academy.

Art Academy, we saw it when the WiiU was first announced, a title that should have been available since launch, it gives purpose to the Gamepad! Miiverse wouldn't have been the same without the art... it's 2015 and the title still not out...

Just for fun, here was my own take on Art Academy and educational software.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Re-establish them on QOL. Nothing wrong with the games.

It's dead. Good riddance.

The best thing Nintendo can do is just say "fuck it" and dump the brand forever!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

IMO they should make something similar to the Wii IP but then use a different name.

Around the Network

Hindsight being what it is, I think trying to make an expensive "successor" to the Wii was a mistake all along.

What they should have done is made a HD version of the existing Wii with a better OS, better eShop, more casual apps, and continued to support it with casual only games. Price that at $150.

Let it have Wii Sports 3/4, turning Wii Fit into its own updating channel, etc. Focus it as a fitness + casual device with wacky off-beat casual titles that maybe 2-3 small teams could be set aside to work on. Release this around 2009 or 2010.

Their traditional game division should've gone to work on a proper next-gen console for a fall 2012 launch. Instead of the Wii U, this would be a more traditional device with horsepower similar to the XB1/PS4 but with a one year headstart. No tablet controller, aimed at core players, more investment on launch exclusive titles suitable for the audience they were targeting (no excuse, Nintendo made a fortune on the Wii/DS era, they had more than enough $$$ to bankroll a lot of next-gen titles).

Wii would just become a side division aimed at casuals fully (whatever market for that was left), the other Nintendo console would become their actual console for the next-gen Zelda, Metroid, Mario 3D, Smash, third party, etc. titles. 

SjOne said:
The Wii software series dropped dramtically when Move and Kinect software series took off. Its hard to imagine how it would make a comeback, Babur hats off to Wii Party U for being the only non Mario and Zelda game to pass 1 million on Wii U

Move and kinect stole it's thunder for 2 years max. The market moved on and all 3 are dead. Companies are looking to develop VR and AR now. Time will tell if they become the next fad.

MoHasanie said:
The Wii brand is done. It doesn't sell well anymore.

This.

You can't suddenly try and sell it to the core, wii title alone will prevent any such thing from happening.

I do think there is room for competetive, fun and possibly fantasy sports but Including ''Wii" in its name will just sink its sales.

The Wii franchise is dead.

Wii games were about motion control and Miis, they should drop motion control, but make more Mii based games.
Imo they should drop the Wii sports series and Mario branded sports games, and make 2 or 3 good arcade sport games with Miis.

Soundwave said:

Hindsight being what it is, I think trying to make an expensive "successor" to the Wii was a mistake all along.

What they should have done is made a HD version of the existing Wii with a better OS, better eShop, more casual apps, and continued to support it with casual only games. Price that at $150.

Let it have Wii Sports 3/4, turning Wii Fit into its own updating channel, etc. Focus it as a fitness + casual device with wacky off-beat casual titles that maybe 2-3 small teams could be set aside to work on. Release this around 2009 or 2010.

Their traditional game division should've gone to work on a proper next-gen console for a fall 2012 launch. Instead of the Wii U, this would be a more traditional device with horsepower similar to the XB1/PS4 but with a one year headstart. No tablet controller, aimed at core players, more investment on launch exclusive titles suitable for the audience they were targeting (no excuse, Nintendo made a fortune on the Wii/DS era, they had more than enough $$$ to bankroll a lot of next-gen titles).

Wii would just become a side division aimed at casuals fully (whatever market for that was left), the other Nintendo console would become their actual console for the next-gen Zelda, Metroid, Mario 3D, Smash, third party, etc. titles. 

So you think Michael Pacther was right? :p

That system would have lived a shelf life of about 3 years though and died in 2013,  presuming it launched in 2010. I don't think anything would have maintained the non gamer market and without mario etc, there is no solid base for Nintendo do sell to. Nintendo could have made quite some profit of it regardless and then devolved it into a TV box, but probably not at $150 if it was to be a proficient HD box in 2010.