By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory on why Sony couldn't drop price on the PS4 last holiday

TheGoldenBoy said:
SWORDF1SH said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

XBO has no big exclusives releasing before E3 that I know of and games like The Order, Bloodborne and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will all boost the PS4. Also about Nov+Dec, that's why I said possibly. I expect that next holiday season they'll definitely try harder in the US. I don't know if they'll try to match the XBO in price, but I can definitely see them bundling multiple first party games to add value.

Why would they try harder this year. They will more than likely be in exactly the same position going into next holiday as they were last holiday.

Because they saw what happened last holiday season.

So you're saying that Sony needed to have a price cut last holiday? If Sony feel that they need to try harder next holiday the surely they weren't happy with last holidays sales.

....or maybe they didn't have enough units

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Sony wanted to enjoy the feeling of making profit a bit longer ^__^

aren't they still losing money?

old skool

raidinglarastomb said:
V-r0cK said:
Sony wanted to enjoy the feeling of making profit a bit longer ^__^

From their playstation brand they are making a nice profit currently 

It also gives them further room to maneuver down the road. We always have posters crying out for immediate price cuts or knee jerk reactions to what the competition is doing, but in general it seems like these companies have a long term road map of the console cycle laid out from the start, and they stick to it as closely as possible, without a great deal of deviation.

Makes sense, but then again, so does wanting to make a bigger profit. Sony is currently in a very strong position and they can profit from it directly, so they must be wanting to do so.

Around the Network

Their ego was in the way.

Simple answer.

Kerotan said:
raidinglarastomb said:

From their playstation brand they are making a nice profit currently 

yes quite a big profit I'd say but they are bleeding money everywhere else, hopefully they fix that because they used to be ahead of the game with electronics

old skool

If you remember correctly, they did have a few special discounts and deals but they were very selective and prohibitively in short supply. For example, the newegg deal with the 329$ ps4 that sold like 20k, among other special limited deals.

Business wise, lowering price across the board would have increased demand more than the supply they could produce. Sure a few hundred thousand weren't sold because of that, but they made the money up front, instead of relying on ps+ or games to recover the costs.

ie; Yes, it cost them some marketshare and install base, but it made them more money up front. 50$ non price cut is 50$ saved, which is better than 10-15$ on a per game basis. And then you look at order barely a month away...and then bloodborne.
Just in the grand scheme of things, it made more sense to not have a sale. I hope I didn't flesh it out too much, but that's how it is. I'm surprised there are even questions about this.

The simple answer was in the second post of the thread. 'Sony would win without lifting a finger.'

Emperorbach said:
Sony need to make a profit much more than MS it IS THAT SIMPLE

Uh, everyone needs to make a profit, even Apple. That's why its called business.

JazzB1987 said:
Their ego was in the way.

Simple answer.

Wrong answer. Sony isn't some child on a gaming forum. They don't think about the console warzz, they think about business. Are we in the lead? Yes. Are we still selling most of our stock? Yes. Why would we do a price drop this early?

Makes sense