By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory on why Sony couldn't drop price on the PS4 last holiday

SWORDF1SH said:
mjk45 said:
SWORDF1SH said:
mjk45 said:

I have the feeling you have read my reply the wrong way since i was replying to the effect of MS's price cut this holiday  and how people in my opinion over play certain elements related to that when talking about what these sales mean to the company , and how they add them up , like every console sold constitutes new sales that would otherwise not have happened, then show a bigger benifit than there is by way of increased software and gold, without taking into account the holiday season itself . my mention of previous high sales figures was only to show that the holiday time of the year drives high consoles and people can't place it all on the back of the price cut nothing more.

So you see it had nothing to do with my take on brand power and history

But the X1 went from selling half what the ps4 was selling to outselling doubles the ps4s in the usa. surely thats due to price cut

To answer your question what you said is true but you have to consider that in the past Ms consoles have outsold Sony at a similar rate during the holiday season ,   I'm not argueing about it being a factor just the degree .

Of course, sales always ramp up very quickly in Nov and Dec.

360 outsold PS4 at a similar rate in previous years but the 360 also beat the PS3 in prior months.

This time the X1 went from selling half of what the PS4 was selling to beating it quite comfortable. The holiday should bring similar percentage rises to both consoles so without any price cut from each we should of seen the PS4 and X1 both get boosted for the holidays but the PS4 still beating the X1 at a similar rario. With the price cut the X1 sold 600k more than PS4 in 2 months. I'm guesing that the price cut can be credited for over half of the X1 sales. Lets not forget how aggressive the price cuts were $70 off with 2 games.

Again we can only use trends, and at the moment I can't access any consoles data to check.

Nov US - PS4 800k - X1 - 1200

Dec US - PS4 1100k - X1 - 1400

Estimate if bothe were at $400

Nov US - PS4- 1000k - X1 600k

Dec - PS4 1400k - X1 800k

So I'm guessing that PS4 would of sold 500k more and the X1 1200k less if both didn't have price cuts and 700k less consoles sold in total.

Of course I'm just guessing trying to use pre price cut data, dec and nov data and past trends. I could be way off

No your estimates are way off you Sony consoles are outsold by MS by  large amounts during the holdays this is well documented now you want to tell me if not for the price cut PS4 would have won  not just the year but the holidays as well so in November X1 would have lost 600K and P4 gained 200k and similar in dec Ms would have had it's worst holiday in memory ,also that  400k in Nov and again in Dec of those sales would be people who just walked away and not purchased any X1 console even though other years they have , so this year  would actually be so bad  that it would drive shoppers away.
all because the PS4 had a lead through out the year .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Protendo said:
SWORDF1SH said:

But I also believe it could be that they didn't feel like they needed one. I'm not that narrow minded to believe it could only be down to one thing.

There is nothing narrow minded by believing the stock was low. That has already been proven with inventory checks post holidays and Christmas Eve. I hate when people use the word narrow minded to combat using logic. That being said, they could of shipped more consoles to the US at the expense of the rest of the word, but with countries like Germany pretty much sold out, what would they gain?  Leading everywhere but selling the same amount at a higher loss seems silly.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying or I just didn't say it right. I don't think people are narrow minded for having an opinion, far from it, I like to have a good debate. I mean it's narrow minded to only believe the reason is one thing and one thing only.

I wasn't even directing it at you because you make goods points and some I made in the OP. I was defending myself saying I wasn't narrow minded because I think that some people think I am because I made this thread and that I only believe in what I wrote and nothing else and other reasons are invalid.

I think we are on the same wave length and between debating my theory and other people's opinion it's became all a little mixed up

mjk45 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Of course, sales always ramp up very quickly in Nov and Dec.

360 outsold PS4 at a similar rate in previous years but the 360 also beat the PS3 in prior months.

This time the X1 went from selling half of what the PS4 was selling to beating it quite comfortable. The holiday should bring similar percentage rises to both consoles so without any price cut from each we should of seen the PS4 and X1 both get boosted for the holidays but the PS4 still beating the X1 at a similar rario. With the price cut the X1 sold 600k more than PS4 in 2 months. I'm guesing that the price cut can be credited for over half of the X1 sales. Lets not forget how aggressive the price cuts were $70 off with 2 games.

Again we can only use trends, and at the moment I can't access any consoles data to check.

Nov US - PS4 800k - X1 - 1200

Dec US - PS4 1100k - X1 - 1400

Estimate if bothe were at $400

Nov US - PS4- 1000k - X1 600k

Dec - PS4 1400k - X1 800k

So I'm guessing that PS4 would of sold 500k more and the X1 1200k less if both didn't have price cuts and 700k less consoles sold in total.

Of course I'm just guessing trying to use pre price cut data, dec and nov data and past trends. I could be way off

No your estimates are way off you Sony consoles are outsold by MS by  large amounts during the holdays this is well documented now you want to tell me if not for the price cut PS4 would have won  not just the year but the holidays as well so in November X1 would have lost 600K and P4 gained 200k and similar in dec Ms would have had it's worst holiday in memory ,also that  400k in Nov and again in Dec of those sales would be people who just walked away and not purchased any X1 console even though other years they have , so this year  would actually be so bad  that it would drive shoppers away.
all because the PS4 had a lead through out the year .

Have you not seen the X1 sales? Great launch yes, but after that sales have been rock bottom.

Your comparing sales from last gen where the 360 was the console of choice by a long way. This gen it's not the case.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying in the rest of the comment but if you means that less people would of bought a console because there wasn't a price cut, yes of course. Would PS4 won without an X1 price cut, I'm pretty sure yes and by a long way. Not many people will disagree with that. A $70 price cut and 2 games, why do you think MS felt the need to do it? Because they were selling well? no!