By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory on why Sony couldn't drop price on the PS4 last holiday

sales2099 said:
SWORDF1SH said:
sales2099 said:

Or.........they as a corporation need all the money they can get.

But more likely, Sony knew they could do nothing last holiday and still win. Dem Europeans and Japanese ;)

Conspiracy theories are fun, but the simple alternative always seems to excape us.

But they wouldn't lose moner by having a price cut. MS know they can sell at a loss and easily make that money back through extra live subs and sofware sales. Why wouldn't Sony be able to do the same.

Sony lost sales to X1, sales that can't get back. That equals lost PSN subs and sofware sales.

Naw, the amount Sony got by doing nothing is more then enough to go around. And they know it. They are #1 after all.

Dem Euros and Japanese buy it up regardless of what MS does.

Yes Sony has built up some great customer loyalty through their efforts in Europe and Japan.  MS has built up a similar loyalty in the US and as such it's actually still close there this gen.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
They didn't price drop because it wasn't necessary.

I believe it was in the US. They lost a lot of ground and gave the X1 good momentum going into this year.

WiiStation360 said:
XBox One needs to sell for less than the PS4 to be competitive. Sony knows this. Microsoft knows this too.

If Sony dropped the price to $350, MS would just drop to $300. Sony would sell the same amount, just make less money.

at a certain point the Xbox division (not MS as a whole obviously) just can't keep dropping through.  They need to make money just like Playstation division does.
And if it were always as simple as making up for it later then they wouldn't have started at $400 anyway.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Well this would be more reason why they wouldn't have cut the price

Although even if they could meet demand I don't think they would have ;)

SWORDF1SH said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

I believe it was in the US. They lost a lot of ground and gave the X1 good momentum going into this year.

And Sony obviously didn't. As of right now they're doing better at most retailers, including Amazon (which has been right for every NPD I think), even with the XBO priced $50 cheaper. If they can win every month until October, I don't think they'll mind possibly losing Nov+Dec.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Well this would be more reason why they wouldn't have cut the price

Although even if they could meet demand I don't think they would have ;)

Not in Europe but in the US and UK (I know it's in Europe) I think they might have. Temporary price cut of course.

TheGoldenBoy said:
SWORDF1SH said:

And Sony obviously didn't. As of right now they're doing better at most retailers, including Amazon (which has been right for every NPD I think), even with the XBO priced $50 cheaper. If they can win every month until October, I don't think they'll mind possibly losing Nov+Dec.

The X1 baseline is going to be a lot higher in the US and if Sony decide to not cut the price next holiday, the X1 with Halo could win the whole year by just beating the PS4 in Nov and Dec. Nov and Dec are the most important months. Sony will want to beat their competition in those months.

spemanig said:

Why are people still over analyzing this? The PS4 didn't get a price drop because it doesn't NEED one. That's it.

^
|
|

SWORDF1SH said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
SWORDF1SH said:

The X1 baseline is going to be a lot higher in the US and if Sony decide to not cut the price next holiday, the X1 with Halo could win the whole year by just beating the PS4 in Nov and Dec. Nov and Dec are the most important months. Sony will want to beat their competition in those months.

XBO has no big exclusives releasing before E3 that I know of and games like The Order, Bloodborne and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will all boost the PS4. Also about Nov+Dec, that's why I said possibly. I expect that next holiday season they'll definitely try harder in the US. I don't know if they'll try to match the XBO in price, but I can definitely see them bundling multiple first party games to add value.

SWORDF1SH said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Yahh no, X1 has no momantum just look at amazon.  It was a fire sale, no point in countering that.  Especially since it proved ineffective vs the PS4 long term.  MS hurt them selves as much as they gained, sony saw that and sat back and did nothing.