By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu Week ending Jan 25th

PS3 higher than WiiU again (on both trackers no less).

Oh boy...

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

First, if you are talking about migration, it would be AWAY from nintendo, because the first 2d AND 3d tales of were on nintendo consoles.

But your thinking that fanbases are only in one place trully baffles me. Zestyria would sell less on wii u vs ps3 only because of installed bases. if it released on ps4 vs wii u, it would sell more on wii u. Tales fans are on Nintendo as much as they are on playstation.

Are there Tales fans who own and even prefer Nintendo systems? Sure. But the sales make it pretty clear where the audience primarily resides. It's not even close.

It isn't as simple as larger install base = more sales. The 3DS has outsold the Vita many times over now, but it's not uncommon for multiplatform games to sell more on the Vita. More relevant to this discussion, Tales of Graces F vastly outsold Tales of Graces despite being a late port to a system with a much smaller install base.

badgenome said:

Are there Tales fans who own and even prefer Nintendo systems? Sure. But the sales make it pretty clear where the audience primarily resides. It's not even close.

It isn't as simple as larger install base = more sales. The 3DS has outsold the Vita many times over now, but it's not uncommon for multiplatform games to sell more on the Vita. More relevant to this discussion, Tales of Graces F vastly outsold Tales of Graces despite being a late port to a system with a much smaller install base.

The sales make it pretty clear indeed, the audiences are about the same. time and time again, the tales of games had similar numbers on Nintendo and PS systems. and for a long time, tales of symphinia was the best selling in the franchise, on 1 quarter of the ps3's installed base.

I'll explain it even better. The franchise's best selling entries barely sold above 1 million when released WW. Yet, the ones released on nintendo systems keep getting a consistend 500k+ (if you consider some of them would be released outside japan), wich is pretty much what we see on PS platforms.

Materia-Blade said:
badgenome said:
Materia-Blade said:

I don't see the connection, especially since graces was buggy to the point it was recalled.

Because it took them 7 years to make a Tales for PS3 that wasn't a port. If there was ever a point that the Tales fanbase was going to migrate away from Playstation, it would have been then. But it didn't take with Tales of Graces, and it didn't take with Tales of Vesperia. The audience is on PS3, and porting Tales of Zestiria to another system was not going to result in a 50% increase in sales.

First, if you are talking about migration, it would be AWAY from nintendo, because the first 2d AND 3d tales of were on nintendo consoles.

But your thinking that fanbases are only in one place trully baffles me. Zestyria would sell less on wii u vs ps3 only because of installed bases. if it released on ps4 vs wii u, it would sell more on wii u. Tales fans are on Nintendo as much as they are on playstation.

Lol, how about you check some Tales sales numbers first before making comments like these?

The highest selling Tales game on Wii sold 156k first week in Japan and released to an install base of 6.35 million in 2008

The first Tales of game on PS3 sold 225k first week in Japan on an install base of 3.6 million in 2009

Materia-Blade said:

I genuinely can't believe we're having this argument after the past generation.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

The sales make it pretty clear indeed, the audiences are about the same. time and time again, the tales of games had similar numbers on Nintendo and PS systems. and for a long time, tales of symphinia was the best selling in the franchise, on 1 quarter of the ps3's installed base.

I'll explain it even better. The franchise's best selling entries barely sold above 1 million when released WW. Yet, the ones released on nintendo systems keep getting a consistend 500k+ (if you consider some of them would be released outside japan), wich is pretty much what we see on PS platforms.

So then you agree that install base doesn't mean much?

I'm going by Media Create here. Are you looking at the VGChartz numbers? I don't really buy those, especially not the western numbers. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's true that the fanbase is roughly evenly split worldwide, with Tales having a stronger appeal to western Nintendo fans than western Playstation fans. The Japanese sales (the only ones for which we have reliable numbers) are not even close, and Tales games are made with Japan in mind first. And we are in a thread about Japanese sales, so...

hiska-kun said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Zesty under Xillia2 score is disappointing... I don't know where the 400K come from, even shipped. Famitsu has it nearly sold out so it should have shipped 350K at best FW. Maybe Bamco sent another 50K yesterday...

Famitsu is reporting 80-100% sellthrough, that means that going by the worst case escenario, 80% means 395k shipped, close to the 400k reported number. Btw the number comes from Tales of Twitter, and even Famitsu posted their twitt:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201501/27070277.html

Anyway, I pretty sure that as always superior tracker Media Create is the right with 340k sold first week and they will share the sellthrough on Friday.

Thanks, I didn't think about that...

Any news on December digital sales while you're here? Also thanks a lot for the top 100 you posted on GAF, I was eager to see it =)

PS4 still selling with no games. Getting more and more interesting when the first big Japanese exclusives hit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Dr.Vita said:
MDMAlliance said:

Why would you put the Wii U in the same spot as the XB1?  Wii U is 20x XB1 sales.

Why not? Both are horrible in Japan right now.

Not at all by the same levels, though.  XB1 is literally selling less than half of 1k.  Of course, the argument can go in the direction of "for Microsoft," but in the same vein, the WIi U numbers compared like that still make an incongruent comparison.  

Not saying the Wii U numbers are good, just that the XB1 ones are beyond bad.

Kresnik said:
Materia-Blade said:

I genuinely can't believe we're having this argument after the past generation.

It's pretty shocking. He the resources here to research that he's wrong. Why doesn't he bother.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.