By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and Third Party... Who is really to blame?

pokoko said:
Nem said:

This is taking a spinny turn. The thread says gamers are to blame. They certainly arent. And no, its not a farcry from a fact, its the very definition of marketing.

Wether companies decide to try and make a profit on that market is a completely separate issue. If they do make them and they dont sell well, then its their products fault.

You said it is fact that businesses are servants, I'm telling you that they are not.  You might not like that as a consumer but it's the truth.  You have no obligation to buy from them and they have no obligation to sell to you.  I don't know where this sense of entitlement some consumers have came from but the proof is right infront of us.  Go tell Bethesda that they are your servants and that they have to make a Wii U version of their next game and see where that gets you.

They are servants in the sense that products are designed to satisfy costumer needs. In that way they are servants. That is their point. You have to pay for them though.

Also, you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. No company has to sell you anything. But they have to if they want your money. 

This is no sense of entitlement, its how things are. Companies exist to make products they can sell to consumers. That is the whole point. You want to buy some 50 rotten toilet scrubs? Because i'm sure the toilet scrub company blames you for not buying them and is gonna start making rotten kitchen scrubs instead. You are an entitled customer because you would like clean scrubs instead? How does any of that make sense to you?

Around the Network

Gamecube had tons of third party support because its hardware was better then ps2 therefore developers didnt mind porting or creating games for it and as third party games.was better or atleast on par with competetion they sold well. Therefore im blaming nintendo for producing inferior hardware

UGH!! AGAIN!?!

you cant blame a failed business on the CONSUMER. i failed business is blamed on the COMPANY ITSELF. blaming it on the consumer is fucking ridiculous. its nintendos fault and nintendos fault only

Third party support, a constant topic that looms over Nintendo; DLC, statements, hardware, projections, PR, power, sales, titles, marketing, audience... Then you have a games like Minecraft, in which the Nintendo port should have been given the priority. I guess third parties want to shift the kiddy audience too.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

It's pretty much everybody's fault (third party companies, Nintendo, the consumers etc.) Third party companies have been avoiding the Wii U because in this day and age, people only buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games and the Wii U is not strong enough to run most current third party games. Third party companies don't want to have to waste money to porting the game to the Wii U, if they know that people won't buy the game on the system and having to dumb down the technical features to get the game to run safely on the Wii U.

Around the Network

It can only be credited or blamed to Nintendo.

Customers will buy what they want and companies need to look at filling that demand.

Companies goes where the money is, so if they think the roi isn't good they will avoid the investiment.

So Nintendo as the console maker can either think the situation is okay and do nothing or think they need better support and go after. So if they haven't put much effort on getting it they either don't care or don't want to invest.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I´d say that.... the WiiU situation is all Nintendo´s fault. Due to two things: bad branding and bad marketing/advertising.

I do understand that after two years of losses they couldn´t afford to spent billions in a strong marketing campaign, but marketing is crucial when launching a new product, even worse when the product has a name that may confuse consumers.

Third parties will make games for platforms that sell. It doesn´t have much to do with the platform power actually, if the platform sells, they will make games (the 3ds - Vita situation is the best example of that). WiiU sells bad, the prospect of sales is not so good, so.... less third party games.

Some of these third party games did ok and were still profitable, but weren't up to the expectations the devs set. For example: did Ubisoft really expect Zombi U to sell amazing amounts? To draw such an audience to the console you make a game for, you need to consistently support it, which they didn't. I bought ACIV, and would have bought Rogue. But Ubisoft didn't bother porting it, even though it costs nearly no effort to bring it over from the 360 to the Wii U.

Mnementh said:

Why devs always say they need different controls? While they can do somethign special with the gamepad, they just can use it as a classical controller. I assume the devkit from Nintendo already contains some function for off-screen-play, so all they have to do for this is making a menu-entry. Something like that is completely fine. They do not need to completely redo the controls, if they don't want to.

For me, this is a cheap excuse, the Gamepad is not an obstacle for porting games to the console.

They don´t need to do anything special with it and even Nintendo showed that with DKTF and SM3DW. Just enable off-screen play and that´s enough.  And I say it´s a cheap excuse because we have seen indie developers making wonders with the Gamepad (Stealth 2, Art Of Balance,Rush etc.). Heck.... Francisco Meneses even single-handed all programming necessary to adapt all Unepic menus to the touchscreen and he managed a great, great job. Alone.

It´s ok when they say they don´t develop because the prospect of sales on the platform is low or when they have a project that the console can´t handle, but using the Gamepad as an excuse is just lame.

nintendo is to be blamed here for designing their console, they chose powerpc and made it extremly weaker than sony and MS. But i can understand why they chose this path, their franchinese dont really need any horse power anymore and they wanted to have backwards compatebility. It is in fact very profitable for them if only nintendo games sell on their console.