By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and Third Party... Who is really to blame?

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
The Wii U was a bit of a lost cause from the start, to be honest. A few publishers gave it a go but I don't think any of them had any confidence in the console, especially not once development switched over to the PS4/XO.

This is what Anthony Burch from Gearbox said: ""It's probably not too controversial to say the Wii U is not where the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be, and that's a lot of development time you're going to split between a bunch of very different platforms if you're trying to release on all of them simultaneously," he said. "That's really where it comes down to, how similar it is to what you're doing on the other [consoles]. And we've got to strip all of this other stuff out to make it work and we've got to completely redo the controls. It's just not going to happen."" http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/3/4689208/time-for-convincing-third-parties-to-support-wii-u-long-past-says

That was from the start of this generation. I think it's pretty much come to pass. A good example is Splinter Cell: Blacklist, which was a good port, except that they ran out of time and had to ship without offline co-op. That means the Wii U port was the last on the list (and rightfully so, to be honest).

From a practical standpoint, a Wii U release is usually going to take the most time/effort/money while offering the least reward. It's going to be the first version to get axed or the first version to be scaled back due to resource constraints. That's logic.

Not supporting the Wii U is not necessarily the same as not supporting Nintendo. That's something we need to keep in mind.

Why devs always say they need different controls? While they can do somethign special with the gamepad, they just can use it as a classical controller. I assume the devkit from Nintendo already contains some function for off-screen-play, so all they have to do for this is making a menu-entry. Something like that is completely fine. They do not need to completely redo the controls, if they don't want to.

Actually, yeah, that sounds like an "and also" kind of thing.  The only way I could see that being significant is if Nintendo was forcing it at the start of the generation, as with the Wii.  The first part of what he said is much more important, as were the words of Bethesda's Pete Hines from the same interview.  I think the "reason" people are looking for is actually a whole bunch of factors rolled up together.

Around the Network

Sorry, but I can't follow with this. I just buy what I am interested. I can't buy every game, and I certainly won't buy games I'm not interested in. Also, I won't put up with 3rd parties treating me poorly by excluding certain DLC, delaying a game to make it multiplat due to low confidence, or delaying the Wii U version for who knows why...

3rd parties have to earn my buy, not the other way around.

EDIT: Regarding the question, I think Nintendo is at fault. They made a console that was unfriendly to third party and they don't seem to make good relations with them, causing conflict between the 2. If Ninten was like Sony with their console and relations, Ninten would be better off with the Wii U.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

didnt we have this discussion 3 weeks ago?

1. Nintendo's fault
2. Nintendo gamers. Too pick however the most annoying of them all was turned away from all Ubisoft games cause they delayed one game. I thought getting 3 extra games was a good trade off and a good gesture from Ubisoft. Like who would not want splinter cell, AC IV and watch dogs at the time?
2. Third Party devs for releasing shit broken ports.

I believe that it is both Nintendo's fault and the 3rd party devs fault. 3rd parties for creating gimped ports of their games that people don't want to buy and Nintendo for creating an unfriendly system for third party devs with its lack of power and controller that is much different than the other controllers in this gen, making it harder to port games. Consumers buy what they want to buy, you can't make their decisions.

If you dont tell people to buy your games and are absent 99% of the time offer bad value skip every odd entry in the franchise sometimes even insult the gamers.

Then its pretty clear who is to blame.

People keep negative things in mind way easier than positive things. If you disappoint people several times you dont just need to do 1 GOOD THING to regain trust. You have to keep doing it. Dont try it at all or try it. But dont say you tried when the only thing you did was put meh effort into a single thing and then gave up again. (thats just doing things for your own reputation)

The longer third party is absent the harder it gets for them to make a comeback. Every single Nintendo player is used to not playing third party games on Nintendo consoles. Everyone that also owns a PC knows that you get better value on PC anyways. (I own Sony Microsoft and Nintendo consoles and yet I would never buy a third party game on consoles unless its NOT coming to PC). Third party tought Nintendo players that they cannot count on them so they dont.

Xbox was microsofts first console. Yet it got constant third party support even tho it failed in comparison to PS2. The GC already suffered from the "you cannot count on us" phenomenon. WiiU was a chance for a fresh start but during the first 3 months you already heard "not coming to WiiU" "Developer X dropping support" etc.

Also expecting ZombiU a low budget (launch!)title without alot of marketing to sell up to 1.5-2m ( Why 1.5-2m? because ~1m is "nowhere near profitable!" So they probably expected at least 2m) on a new system that just launched and started with a userbase of 0 that was sold for 70! Bucks not the regular 60! (MassEffect also was sold for 70!)

and at the same time expecting WatchDogs a AAA title with a shitload of marketing and hype to sell ONLY 6+m (none expects 0 profit that means probably even 5m or so would have been enough to make a profit!) on raughly 200m consoles and PCs. is kinda stupid. Especially when porting a game to a new console also costs money. (By the time WD came out WiiU already sold several million units so did PS4 and XBO. There were more than 160m PS360s and Xm PCs)

So we have
low budet single platform WiiU launch title on console with 0 userbase (launch) That was sold for 70!!! bucks.
= ~1.5-2m expected sales

hyped well marketed AAA game (had live action commercial) on PC, PS3, PS4, XBO, 360, WiiU (5x porting costs) with ~ 200m users.
= 6m expected.

MAKES SENSE TO ME....

Around the Network

Their games are generally samey and unfinished buggy experiences - why should I buy them?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Injustice was a excellent port. I also liked Resident Evil Revelations and Deus Ex felt natural to me. There have been awesome 3rd party games on Wii U and I make sure to buy as many as I can. But my wallet has limits. Otherwise I'd have the entire library of Wii U games.

T

TheGoldenBoy said:

This isn't going to end well. As for lack of third party support on Wii U and it being gamer's fault, it's like a circle:

Third parties don't put much effort into porting games because of poor sales -> Wii U owners don't buy them because they don't want to support poorly ported games -> third parties see poor games sales and then repeat the cycle until third parties quit altogether.

this plus I think Nintendo pissed all publishers off back I the snes/nes days with the Nintendo stamp of approval.

old skool

raidinglarastomb said:

T

TheGoldenBoy said:

This isn't going to end well. As for lack of third party support on Wii U and it being gamer's fault, it's like a circle:

Third parties don't put much effort into porting games because of poor sales -> Wii U owners don't buy them because they don't want to support poorly ported games -> third parties see poor games sales and then repeat the cycle until third parties quit altogether.

this plus I think Nintendo pissed all publishers off back I the she's days with the Nintendo stamp of approval.

I miss the seal of Quality so much. (i mean its original meaning)  You (well or your mom) could go and buy a random NES game and it was good. I dont have a single crappy NES game.

Also not having 200000 releases a month  made the games keep value.   I buy third party games on steam now because I get them 1 year after release for 5 bucks. Buying games on consoles for 60 bucks even tho they get heavily discounted seems stupid to me.

again with this? third parties are being unprofessional and it's their fault.