By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and Third Party... Who is really to blame?

Never blame the consumer for the inability a company has to sell products. The 3rd party situation dates back to the Nes and Nintendo own draconian way to deal with partners.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
It's not my job to do anything. I'm a consumer. They aren't gods, they're servants. Their role is to provide a product that I want to buy, and my role is to purchase the products I want to buy. If I don't want a 3rd party game, it isn't my job to buy it, it's their job to sell it to me.

/ thread.

JazzB1987 said:
raidinglarastomb said:

T

TheGoldenBoy said:

This isn't going to end well. As for lack of third party support on Wii U and it being gamer's fault, it's like a circle:

Third parties don't put much effort into porting games because of poor sales -> Wii U owners don't buy them because they don't want to support poorly ported games -> third parties see poor games sales and then repeat the cycle until third parties quit altogether.

this plus I think Nintendo pissed all publishers off back I the she's days with the Nintendo stamp of approval.

I miss the seal of Quality so much. (i mean its original meaning)  You (well or your mom) could go and buy a random NES game and it was good. I dont have a single crappy NES game.

Also not having 200000 releases a month  made the games keep value.   I buy third party games on steam now because I get them 1 year after release for 5 bucks. Buying games on consoles for 60 bucks even tho they get heavily discounted seems stupid to me.

if they brought this back I don't think too many third party games would make it to the Nintendo system

old skool

Nintendo killed the 3rd party support with their politics. The result was that all games that want 3rd party games, the large majority, bought PS or XB consoles. The only market that Nintendo has is basically kids and families, even the "hardcore" gamers aren't there anymore in a decent number as Bayonetta 2 sales do show (Just Dance on Wii U did better than it).

Ninty's issue is that they are stuck in their 90's mentality and don't seem interested in changing it, so people got over it and migrated to other systems. They tried to change to a casual gaming company, but didn't counted on the mobile phones stealing their market and ended up just doing a quick cash in but alienating their market even more. Now they are out of the performance arms race, out of the 3rd party release loop and out of the touch with what people want.

In the end, getting a Nintendo console today means getting less games than the others and way less variety, with a bunch of titles oriented to a more young demography.

JazzB1987 said:

I miss the seal of Quality so much. (i mean its original meaning)  You (well or your mom) could go and buy a random NES game and it was good. I dont have a single crappy NES game.

Also not having 200000 releases a month  made the games keep value.   I buy third party games on steam now because I get them 1 year after release for 5 bucks. Buying games on consoles for 60 bucks even tho they get heavily discounted seems stupid to me.

Please. Almost all LJN games were crap and all of them included the seal of quality. Just watching Angry Video Game Nerd on YouTube shows that NES had a pretty fair share of broken titles.

The seal basically just means that the game works on the system.

They stamped their "seal of quality" on the VirtualBoy and all its games. That says enough about the rigid rules they have. They also stamped it proudly on this:

One of the worst games ever made has their "seal of quality" on it. Bottom right, above the rating. From someone who played this, I can say that there aren't much games worser than this one.

Around the Network

It's Nintendo's fault plain and simple. If people think otherwise then they're all ________! (fill in the blank with something negative)

nintendo wants to be a kiddy system. no voice chat during games bc ur afraid of a kid being kidnapped. total bs. there online although improved is still a joke. they dont make similar games that 3rd parties do and teens will not buy a wiiu as there main system. being underpwered doesnt help either. no sports games. nintendo has to change there image. devils third and bayonetta r enough to change the image.

Panther111 said:

Nintendo fanbase likes excusivity. So xeno x will perform well, bayo 2 did great for the current userbase nintendo has.

3rd party developers just need to realize that their titles have a good chanche of doing well on wii u, make a profit, and not as expensive to make as games are on ps4/xbox one.

Just like many medium budget games made lots of profit on wii no more heroes and other games come to mind.

So 3rd party devs need to trust nintendo and its userbase more, and a nintendo console is the place to take a chance on a new franchise or creative ideas. Preferable exclusive to the console, and it usually goes well

it has nothing to do with exclusivity, QUALITY is the keyword.

bananaking21 said:
UGH!! AGAIN!?!

you cant blame a failed business on the CONSUMER. i failed business is blamed on the COMPANY ITSELF. blaming it on the consumer is fucking ridiculous. its third paries fault and third parties fault only

FTFY

Nem said:
pokoko said:

It's a far cry from fact.  Businesses are not servants.  Supply is as an important side of the equation as demand.  They have every right to do with their product what they want.  They can tell you to take a hike if they wish, just as a consumer can choose to buy elsewhere.  I've told more than one person that they are not welcome in my establishment.  What you're looking for as a business is an equitable and respectful transaction between two parties with regards to the exchange of goods or services.  There is no implied servitude in that.

Third party developers and publishers have zero obligation to support the Wii U.

This is taking a spinny turn. The thread says gamers are to blame. They certainly arent. And no, its not a farcry from a fact, its the very definition of marketing.

Wether companies decide to try and make a profit on that market is a completely separate issue. If they do make them and they dont sell well, then its their products fault.

Not trying to single you out, but you've mentioned marketing several times in this thread, and I think you are confusing it with, or lumping it in with product development and sales.  They are three very different things.

Marketing does not take place until a business has decided that a product has the potential to sell, and development time has been put against said product.

If third parties are not even making games for Wii U, their marketing team has nothing to do with it.

Likewise, if the company develops a product, but it is a turd, marketing can only go so far (see Sonic Boom).

I guess what I am trying to say is that in regards to lack of third party support on Wii U, marketing has extremely little to do with it.  A marketing team cannot market what does not exist.  I mean they could, I guess, but it probably would not be a very sustainable business model.